BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
Sue Esponte
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 2.8

Timing Chain Questions- 2013 N20

Hi All,

2nd post…we “inherited” a 2013 X3 2.8…and I’ve been reading about all of the timing chain issues and failures people have experienced.

Forgetting even mods, I’m trying to get a sense of how significant the issue is before we start investing in routine maintenance stuff. The car has 67k miles on it and while there’s some clatter at startup, it doesn’t have the “whine” many people say is typical of these engines before the chains go. I can post a video later after it’s cold and we start it again.

Any idea what it would cost to have repaired professionally? Any recommendations on shops in Connecticut/Fairfield County area?

Are we just better off selling it? There’s a sentimental side to this but I don’t want that to drive any bad decisions. I’ve read some people describe it like a time bomb that can just go off without warning, which makes me feel less comfortable about the fact we might not be hearing the whirring noises.

Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated.

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 03:08 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

There is know way to really predict if/when it may fail. We’re it my car I’d seriously consider selling and replacing with BMW SUV with inline 6 motor, that 4 banger is being taxed in these heavy 4,200 lb+ cars. That motor in your car has a poor reliability track record, particularly for one’s built prior to 2016.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 05:34 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Sell it while it's still good, it could last til 100k miles or it could destroy the engine the next time you drive it so why chance it.
As Wgosma mentioned, a tiny 2.0 4 cyl in a 2+ ton vehicle has to work extra hard, not like it gets great mpg
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 07:59 PM   #4
Sue Esponte
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Sell it while it's still good, it could last til 100k miles or it could destroy the engine the next time you drive it so why chance it.
As Wgosma mentioned, a tiny 2.0 4 cyl in a 2+ ton vehicle has to work extra hard, not like it gets great mpg
The backstory on the car is that it was my father's before he passed away recently. My parents bought it new and always maintained it at a local dealer. For all intents and purposes, timing chain risks aside, it's in great condition and perfect for our needs. It's basically for my son who just turned 16. I'm not keen on buying him a brand new car at the moment and, unlike most used car purchases where you don't know the car's true history, in this case, we do. Plus, it also holds a different place in his heart, given he was very close to his grandpa. I don't want to throw 'stupid' money at it. At the end of the day, it's a car, but I also don't want to overreact either.

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:33 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
The backstory on the car is that it was my father's before he passed away recently. My parents bought it new and always maintained it at a local dealer. For all intents and purposes, timing chain risks aside, it's in great condition and perfect for our needs. It's basically for my son who just turned 16. I'm not keen on buying him a brand new car at the moment and, unlike most used car purchases where you don't know the car's true history, in this case, we do. Plus, it also holds a different place in his heart, given he was very close to his grandpa. I don't want to throw 'stupid' money at it. At the end of the day, it's a car, but I also don't want to overreact either.

-Eric
If you plan to keep it, get the timing system serviced with the revised parts that are less likely to fail, parts and labor range should be ~$2500-$3500 at an independent shop. Just make sure they're reputable and experienced with working on BMWs since the work is not trivial, taking a day or more to complete the work.
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2023, 08:57 PM   #6
Sue Esponte
Rep

Quote:
If you plan to keep it, get the timing system serviced with the revised parts that are less likely to fail, parts and labor range should be ~$2500-$3500 at an independent shop. Just make sure they're reputable and experienced with working on BMWs since the work is not trivial, taking a day or more to complete the work.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice and feedback!

Any thoughts on starting with the revised pretensioner if the chain otherwise seems okay? The revised parts are post '17, correct?

-Eric
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:56 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Esponte View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the advice and feedback!

Any thoughts on starting with the revised pretensioner if the chain otherwise seems okay? The revised parts are post '17, correct?

-Eric
The timing system service is not something you do piecemeal since most of the cost is in the labor, so trying to save < $100 for the cost of a chain is not a wise choice
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 10:42 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
The timing system service is not something you do piecemeal since most of the cost is in the labor, so trying to save < $100 for the cost of a chain is not a wise choice
This is sound advice- if you are willing to spend the bucks to have this preventative maintenance work done find a shop who understands what all componentry should be replaced with updated parts and get it all done.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 04:21 PM   #9
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Or just do it yourself? But I guess that's not for everyone.
Appreciate 0