BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2021, 05:55 PM   #1
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

X3 F25 EfficientDynamics indicator

Does anyone know what the blue arrow going toward the battery icon mean on a 2017 X3 3.5i? When I am coasting either downhill or foot off of the gas pedal, the blue arrow lights up as if it were charging some sort of battery. This isn't a hybrid so the only battery that could be charging is the 12volt battery in the trunk. Anyone who can shed some light on this would be much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 07:47 PM   #2
OIFDOC
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 Xdrive28d

Regeneration. Uses brakes to regenerate power to the battery.

If you use mdecoder.com you’ll see this option listed as S1CD Brake Energy Regeneration.
Appreciate 1
Iggy524.50
      01-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIFDOC View Post
It doesn't use the brakes to regenerate power to the battery , rather it uses the alternator to recharge the battery when coasting or braking, I'm not a fan of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
OIFDOC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
It doesn't use the brakes to regenerate power to the battery , rather it uses the alternator to recharge the battery when coasting or braking, I'm not a fan of it.
Then please explain on decoded package stating brake regeneration
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Then please explain on decoded package stating brake regeneration
I can't explain the package naming marketing came up with, but I can tell you the brakes are not capable of generating any power, though pressing the brake pedal triggers the alternator to generate more power to charge the battery.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 02:32 AM   #6
neil0779
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
It is for charging the battery when coasting as it switches the alternator off and uses brake energy and is classed as a mild hybrid.
Appreciate 1
pungo880.00
      01-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #7
OIFDOC
Rep

From BMW: Note Fuel economy improvement of 3%.

Brake Energy Regeneration
Make use of every watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
From BMW: Note Fuel economy improvement of 3%.

Brake Energy Regeneration
Make use of every watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.
Quote:
So, it's great google helped you confirm what I said was right about the regeneration blue bar being the alternator charging the battery and NOT the brakes to regenerate power to the battery like you stated.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #9
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
so does it mean that the alternator doesn't charge the rest of the time when the blue arrow isn't lit, for example while I was in cruise control for over an hour?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:18 PM   #10
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So, it's great google helped you confirm what I said was right about the regeneration blue bar being the alternator charging the battery and NOT the brakes to regenerate power to the battery like you stated.
Correct, per the above explanation, it appears the "braking" is done by an increased load on the alternator and not some magical energy creating technology found in the brake pads. I'll have to monitor the battery voltage as I drive to see this in action.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 02:19 PM   #11
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post
so does it mean that the alternator doesn't charge the rest of the time when the blue arrow isn't lit, for example while I was in cruise control for over an hour?
The alternator will keep the battery at the proper level of charge regardless of the blue arrow state. Think of a long highway trip where the blue bar rarely comes on, the alternator will keep the battery charged in those conditions.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:08 PM   #12
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:

Lol, what. There is no car that uses the brakes to generate electricity. What are you talking about. Even an EV simply turns the motor into a generator when coasting or braking to charge the high voltage battery. The same is being done here with the alternator.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #13
OIFDOC
Rep

Quote:
Ok??? I don’t get your response here. Is it to you like salt in a wound? Like torturing little animals? Hmm relax buddy. Just sharing as when you told me I wanted to know exactly what it did. Fact is they do have brake regeneration from BMW in the hybrids. No not brakes exactly but from motors generating power when braking. Just not on the f25, so sit back and relax a bit. Geesh, oh don’t hurt kittens or puppies btw.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #14
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you use mdecoder.com you’ll see this option listed as S1CD Brake Energy Regeneration.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
Quote:
Lol, what. There is no car that uses the brakes to generate electricity. What are you talking about. Even an EV simply turns the motor into a generator when coasting or braking to charge the high voltage battery. The same is being done here with the alternator.
Not sure why you're asking me what I'm talking about since I've been attempting to convince OIFDOC the alternator produces the power and not the brakes. Seems we're all on the same page with the exception of OIFDOC who states the brakes produce the power. Anyway, I'm sure the OP question has been answered.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #15
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok??? I don’t get your response here. Is it to you like salt in a wound? Like torturing little animals? Hmm relax buddy. Just sharing as when you told me I wanted to know exactly what it did. Fact is they do have brake regeneration from BMW in the hybrids. No not brakes exactly but from motors generating power when braking. Just not on the f25, so sit back and relax a bit. Geesh, oh don’t hurt kittens or puppies btw.
You read something about brake regeneration so assumed the brakes generate power to the battery and stated so to the OP. I said the alternator produced the power and you asked me to explain the package, which I did. I'm sorry if you don't know what you're talking about with your lack of understanding of how the technology works, but don't take it out on me getting all pissy about it.
Sorry to the OP, but at least now you know who not to trust when providing information.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:36 PM   #16
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

So I drove around with the voltage displayed. Regardless of acceleration, coasting or braking, the voltage stayed at 14.6V. The only time it changed was when i cam to a complete stop and it wen t down to 12.7V for one second and then came back up. If it were really charging during braking, I would have seen some voltage increase I would think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 11:55 PM   #17
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post
So I drove around with the voltage displayed. Regardless of acceleration, coasting or braking, the voltage stayed at 14.6V. The only time it changed was when i cam to a complete stop and it wen t down to 12.7V for one second and then came back up. If it were really charging during braking, I would have seen some voltage increase I would think.
There is voltage and there is current (amperage) and since you are only monitoring the voltage, you can't determine how much amperage the alternator is putting out to recharge the battery. The amperage is really what is charging the battery. The voltage regulator limits the maximum voltage to somewhere around 14.7v give or take.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 01:44 AM   #18
OIFDOC
Rep

Quote:
You read something about brake regeneration so assumed the brakes generate power to the battery and stated so to the OP. I said the alternator produced the power and you asked me to explain the package, which I did. I'm sorry if you don't know what you're talking about with your lack of understanding of how the technology works, but don't take it out on me getting all pissy about it.
Sorry to the OP, but at least now you know who not to trust when providing information.

Op sorry this has gotten off topic. I disagree with posters attitude but will refrain from taking this further. Puppies and kittens.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 02:09 PM   #19
bayusuharso
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Efficient dynamics indicator suddenly missing

Hi All,

Sorry to reopen an old thread because I'd like to ask about the same indicator.
I have a 2011 x35i F25 and it has the efficient dynamics indicator as in the picture in the original post by ClampThurst .

Previously the indicator always on/displayed but since last week it has been disappear.
I don't know what I did wrong.
I helped my son to jump-start his car a couple weeks back. Is that the root cause?

Is there any chance to make it reappear? Maybe some settings? Can't find any in the guide though.
Thank you.
      04-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #20
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayusuharso View Post
Hi All,

Sorry to reopen an old thread because I'd like to ask about the same indicator.
I have a 2011 x35i F25 and it has the efficient dynamics indicator as in the picture in the original post by ClampThurst .

Previously the indicator always on/displayed but since last week it has been disappear.
I don't know what I did wrong.
I helped my son to jump-start his car a couple weeks back. Is that the root cause?

Is there any chance to make it reappear? Maybe some settings? Can't find any in the guide though.
Thank you.
There's a setting in the idrive menus to enable/disable the display, poke around in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:01 PM   #21
bayusuharso
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's a setting in the idrive menus to enable/disable the display, poke around in there.
Will check. Thank you!
      04-12-2022, 05:17 PM   #22
bayusuharso
United_States
Rep

Found it!

Quote:
I found it!
It's under Settings - Info Display - Additional Indicators.

Thank you so much Master pungo