BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport

Angry Roof Liner Leaking AGAIN & no sound from stereo system!

Our 2011 X3 had its first leak in February after a winter thaw. Water was dripping from the driver side blue tooth mic and the liner around it was damp. Brought it into the dealership but the problem couldn't be reproduced.

We have had the same leak happen 4 times since. It doesn't happen every rainfall but it seems to happen when it is raining steadily for a period of time. Our driveway is also sloped from the house and we back the vehicle in; we think it may be worse on this angle because of how the water drains. The drain tubes have been cleared multiple times with compressed air, visualized with a scope, and the vehicle has been through the dealer car wash and pressure washed many times. They even lifted the back tires to reproduce the driveway slope! There seems to be no drain hose disconnections or clogs and the leak has never been reproduced by the dealership.

The last visit the dealer thought it had something to do with how the rubber flap that covers the sunroof track was positioned. However it leaked again today; this time water coming in through the driver side light/sunroof controls. We have expressed our frustration to the dealership and to BMW Canada. The dealer at least gave us a loaner this time after an angry e-mail was sent to the service manager.

We are going to tell them that we don't want it back it it's not fixed. Wish we had a lemon law in Canada. After multiple internet searches we see that leaky sunroofs are a common BMW problem that seems to have no fix due to a design flaw.

Our sound system stopped working last week too out of the blue. It still has power but no sound; (blue tooth, navigation, radio, etc.) We have tried resetting it but no effect. Days after that happened, we began getting a message that the battery was discharged and electrical equipment was shut down. This message appears after the vehicle has sat overnight. Had it into the dealer yesterday who replaced the battery but still no sound!

I could really use some good news stories right now of people who have had a similar roof leak and/or audio problem and had a successful fix; PLEASE SHARE!

This is our first new car and our first BMW. Although we love the vehicle, we are starting to regret our choice.
      08-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Here's our update: We were without our X3 for 2 weeks while the dealer installed a new amplifier, a new battery, and "fixed" the leak. Unfortunately it leaked again while they washed it!

We were glad to have it back with a working stereo; ( the X1 loaner was pretty basic). However, we are very discouraged about the leak. A new sunroof is now on order. If this doesn't fix it I don't know what else will!
      08-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Sorry to hear about your headaches. It's too bad us Canadians don't have a lemon law!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarka@csolve.net View Post
Here's our update: We were without our X3 for 2 weeks while the dealer installed a new amplifier, a new battery, and "fixed" the leak. Unfortunately it leaked again while they washed it!

We were glad to have it back with a working stereo; ( the X1 loaner was pretty basic). However, we are very discouraged about the leak. A new sunroof is now on order. If this doesn't fix it I don't know what else will!
Have BMW actually identified the root cause? Usually they just replace parts, one after the other, until the problem goes away without actually having the ability to diagnose the root cause!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Did they check the seals on the upper front windshield?
      08-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

The dealer apparently saw the water coming in through the front of the sunroof. They thought they had fixed it and it was dry for 2 weeks through significant rainfall. Unfortunately it leaked after they washed it in preparation for our pickup!
      08-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #7
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

I had an issue with the sound about a month after I bought my car, but it had been sitting for 3 weeks while I was on vacation and gave an error message about increased battery discharge.

It has since gone away, never to come back (knocks on wood)... so hopefully that solved your problem.

Hopefully they can get to the root of the leaking though... water is bad bad news
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Hey there...you're STILL having issues with this? Wow. Admittedly I had to make 2 or 3 visits (can't recall now) to get this addressed finally. I don't know which GTA dealership you're visiting, but suggest you take your car to BMW Mississauga (hopefully that's not where you're taking it now!!)....speak to Jeff at the counter. You don't need to go to the dealer you bought it from...they'll sort you out.
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #9
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Hi Dave, we actually aren't dealing with the dealer we purchased from. Our dealer did call Jeff and apparently made the same repair to our car that was done to yours. It was fine during multiple downpours while parked on a downward slope but leaked after a wash! We are waiting for a new sunroof and BMW Canada are involved. I'm not sure what the next step will be if the new part doesn't fix it. I've never owned a lemon before!
      08-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Ok, bit of a bummer though obviously. Weird why you need an entirely new sunroof though, but then again, I'm not an expert in this area!

In any event, don't be too hard on the car...(lemon-wise). Stuff does happen to all brands, including Audi (worse in my experience than BMW) and had you gone Japanese...great cars from a quality viewpoint, but boring....in my opinion.

Anyway...I'm sure this latest fix will address your problem and you can move on an enjoy the X.

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks Dave, so far our experience with BMW has been far from boring! We still love our X3; (her nickname is Verma). We are looking forward to not having to park her according to the weather forecast!
      08-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarka@csolve.net View Post
Thanks Dave, so far our experience with BMW has been far from boring! We still love our X3; (her nickname is Verma). We are looking forward to not having to park her according to the weather forecast!
You could ask for a pair of umbrellas as a present from BMW - just in case
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

You are not thinking big enough. I was thinking of asking BMW to build a garage for me to keep my X3 out of the elements. Umbrellas are not going to cut it!
      09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

The new sunroof has been installed. We are keeping our fingers crossed that we stay dry after a few rainfalls!
      09-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

We have a lot of deserts you can move to. No rain, and sun for the roof. Oh wait, sorry, oh so sorry, wrong border.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive
We have a lot of deserts you can move to. No rain, and sun for the roof. Oh wait, sorry, oh so sorry, wrong border.
Ha! Ha!
      11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

Hi - did the leak get sorted with the new roof?
Appreciate 0