BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Question Range Rover Evoque, please support my X3 purchase

Was just looking through, and a friend suggested why I didn't get the Evoque.

It did cross my mind, and looking through all the review, in every aspect the Evoque seems quite superior to the X3 (apart from interior, X3 is much 'cleaner').

Especially price wise the Evoque would appear to be $10000 (AUD) cheaper than an equivalently spec X3.

Your views guys? For some reason though, a BMW is just 'better' than a Range Rover?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I sat in one. It looks good, but it's a bit small for my taste - I actually felt a bit claustrophobic in it.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Saw one close up for the first time last week (in a car park near the train station) so had a good look at it.

One word IMHO describes the styling - MESSY.

The lights are awful and there is an inch gap in the front wings. Really didn't like it. They are though everywhere so lots of people do.

The other thing that surprised me, though I don't know why given what I have read about them, is the size. They really are quite small. Def a competitor for the X1 or Q3 and not for X3. The X3 might be more than the base Evoque but you are getting a much larger car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
wb47
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
Saw one close up for the first time last week (in a car park near the train station) so had a good look at it.

One word IMHO describes the styling - MESSY.

The lights are awful and there is an inch gap in the front wings. Really didn't like it. They are though everywhere so lots of people do.

The other thing that surprised me, though I don't know why given what I have read about them, is the size. They really are quite small. Def a competitor for the X1 or Q3 and not for X3. The X3 might be more than the base Evoque but you are getting a much larger car.
Yeah, the Evoque is around 4.3 metres and X3 is 4.6 (roughly) so the evoque competes with the X1 and Q3 but at a much higher price range, and i personally think it's a woman's car.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

And buy the extended warrenty too... I had a Discovery 3 from new (LR3) and in 12 months it went back to Stratstone in Wolverhampton 11 times for faults until I eventually got rid.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

In addition the name reminds me of "ewok", hence:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ewok

And I would not like to be associated with those
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
I thought about one after I had orderedmy X3, took one for a test drive and it was nice to drive and had lots of toy. The main problem is there isn't any space in the back once the drivers seat is pushed back and all the toys will go wrong some time!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If an Evoque suits then the X3 will be too big. They really aren't very comparable size-wise. The Evoque is pretty from the front, the rest of the styling will date very quickly. The new big Range Rover will have an Evoque-lookalike front end so that will look current. The rear windows are all so small. It's a fashion vehicle for 2 people who want occasional use of the rear seats. You won't need a garage for it as it'll be at the dealers most of the time (even if my X3 has a few small items to fix...). Sure the X3 isn't as pretty but it will age and mature better.
      11-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I wouldn't say the Evoque is superior to the X3 at all...

It has a Ford 4 cylinder engine making 240HP and a 6 speed transmission. The base engine in the X3 also has 240HP but you can get a peppy 300HP engine. Both engines in the X3 come with ZF's brilliant 8 speed auto. Also, the 240HP X3 does the 0-60 almost 1/2 second faster despite being a larger and heavier car.

The nav screen in the X3 is much higher quality than the Evoque (screen size and resolution). The top view / side view / rear view features are much more useful.

The interior of the X3 seems much more classy to me, although the Range Rover look is distinct and appeals to some people.

The X3 is almost certainly more reliable than the Evoque.

After configuring a Evoque the price seems on par with the X3 despite having far fewer available options.

Plus the Evoque doesn't seem very practical... It seems like a 2 person SUV thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Do you really want to be driving a car "designed" by Victoria Beckham?

Range Rover's been touting this claim since they first announce the car so if the marketing is there and it's aimed towards women is it safe to say the Evoque is a woman's car?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkntigr View Post
Was just looking through, and a friend suggested why I didn't get the Evoque.

It did cross my mind, and looking through all the review, in every aspect the Evoque seems quite superior to the X3 (apart from interior, X3 is much 'cleaner').

Especially price wise the Evoque would appear to be $10000 (AUD) cheaper than an equivalently spec X3.

Your views guys? For some reason though, a BMW is just 'better' than a Range Rover?
Unsure which engine you are choosing, if you are going for 20d, then I would say Evoque SD4 is better if you can live with a smaller car!

I think the Evoque is more refined , better equipped, looks better ( at lease for now), better quality and better value than the X3 in 20d form.

I really like the Evoque after I drove it, but cannot buy one as I already took delivery of a 20D Msport. May be next time as I don't really need the size of an X3!

You will also have more head turned than the X3 too!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
laimbeer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I really liked the Evoque about 4 months ago. The more I looked at it, the more I grew tired of it. Like someone else said, it dated itself quickly.

Then I drove it. It's not quick when compared to the X3 35 that I have on order. Also, that Ford engine is no more refined than the 3.5L Ecoboost in our Flex which is not a complement.

Finally, it's definitely more of a 'cute ute' compared to the X3. I think it's a ladies' car. Personally, I'd love to own an LR4 or Range Rover but the Evoque just doesn't do anything for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #13
AC888
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, Mini Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by laimbeer View Post
I really liked the Evoque about 4 months ago. The more I looked at it, the more I grew tired of it. Like someone else said, it dated itself quickly.

Then I drove it. It's not quick when compared to the X3 35 that I have on order. Also, that Ford engine is no more refined than the 3.5L Ecoboost in our Flex which is not a complement.

Finally, it's definitely more of a 'cute ute' compared to the X3. I think it's a ladies' car. Personally, I'd love to own an LR4 or Range Rover but the Evoque just doesn't do anything for me.
How can you compare the Evoque to 35i, its only compartable to 20d and 28i ( for the Si4 model) ! 35i will be more superior in terms of performance and refinement and not in the same leaque! Its fun to have an Evoque for a few year before its goes out of fashion...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

I wouldn't drive something that looks PhotoShopped and that I'd have difficulty spelling correctly.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #15
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I personally can't understand all the hype over the Evoque exterior styling. IMHO, the massive grill is one if the ugliest on any SUV and the tapered rear quarters leading to the letterbox rear window create a claustrophobic interior and do nothing to enhance the appearance of the vehicle.
Seems to me that it’s a case of “The Emperor’s new Clothes” and fashion that will be obsolete and superseded by the next latest craze by next season.

When you add the Rover’s reputation for poor reliability and the very limited rear seat room compared to a X3, the purchase of an Evoque becomes a fashion statement, not a vehicle purchase. If you truly LOVE it, go for it, but don’t be influenced by self appointed “experts” who declare it’s the latest in great design. I, for one, will chuckle to myself “there’s a sucker born every minute” every time I see one drive by.

I'm really not trying to be confrontational, and certainly not trying to offend anyone who actually likes the Evoque design, but I just don’t understand it. I guess that beauty (or in this case, ugliness) is in the eyes of the beholder.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #16
daeONE
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 35d Msport

I too question how well the Evoque styling will age. It has a "Transformer" look to it. As a 'woman's' car, if my wife is an indicator it will not be very successful. She sat in it, didn't drive it. While the interior is very British and well done, she felt entirely claustrophobic just sitting in the driver seat due to the high belt line and short greenhouse. We both agreed that the X3 exhibits both sophisticated and classic styling coupled with performance, and yes, utility.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
laimbeer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC888 View Post
How can you compare the Evoque to 35i, its only compartable to 20d and 28i ( for the Si4 model) ! 35i will be more superior in terms of performance and refinement and not in the same leaque! Its fun to have an Evoque for a few year before its goes out of fashion...
We don't have the diesel option in the US and I wasn't considering the 28i. Also, the Evoque plays in the same price spectrum as the X3 28i as well as the 35i.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #18
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

I live near JLR HQ and see these things everyday. I dont have any 'home loyalty' to RR and I have friends who work at Gaydon. I would not buy one as stated above - the technology is always 2nd best and several years behind the best. JLR are to small a company to be able to develop thier own auto IP. Things will improve in the future as Tata invest in engine production and growth.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #19
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

Too small..................
Space Grey, Wheels, Doors and a boot, Pushy Finance Person pack (with optional walk out of dealer mode), Professional Medium Pack, Fully Eclectic Towbar, Autocratic Gearbox, Sporty seats, Heated Arguments, Reversing Assist Camera with Top View, BMW signature sills, Panoramic Glass Roof, have you considered the Pushy Finance Person Pack? ETD 22/12/2012
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #20
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I am not a LR fan, and the Evoque is a very small vehicle, I was surprised just how small it is when I finally saw it in the "real". Styling is either love it or hate it. I would have no trouble taking the X3 over the Evoque, even at more dollars for the Bimmer.
      11-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #21
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Evoque is in X1's territory rather than the X3's. I do like the front end design, but the back end is ugly IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #22
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

I agree with some of the general comments about the Evoque. Reliability and "spaciousness" is a concern. The car felt "cozy"...considering it was a crossover car I would have thought it would be roomier. Trunk space is a concern...I wouldnt be able to get my dog into the back without folding the seats. I drove the 2door version but the trunk space is suppose to be the same.

I didn't really have a chance to throw the car around because the dealership is located in a very traffic congested area. My first impression is the X3 28i was more nimble. The evoque felt it had a higher centre of gravity...kind of like driving a SUV that felt like a car...whereas the X3 felt more natural.

On the positive, the materials in the car felt good...maybe better than BMW. I am not sure if I its me but the X1 interior feels cheap/thin compared to the X3. I made that comment to the BMW sales rep and he did not disagree with me. ( not sure if its because he gets more commission on the X3 )
Appreciate 0