BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #221
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

That's quick, are you sure it's not Nov 2012? :-) The UK wait is 9 months.....
      08-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #222
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

I am getting a September built too, so looks like a few of hours will be coming around the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #223
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just got confirmation that I am getting a week 36! so the car should be here mid Oct! Got my vin too - can't wait to get boot space back!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #224
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Just got confirmation that I am getting a week 36! so the car should be here mid Oct! Got my vin too - can't wait to get boot space back!
Is week 36 a MY12 build?
Have they given you any info on specification changes?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #225
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Is week 36 a MY12 build?
Have they given you any info on specification changes?
No, and I haven't asked. Also, the changes that are made to the US might not come here either. the MY12 build changes is only minor IIRC? I know there's the gloss finish audio surrounds, but I don't remember if there is anything else. I am not too fuss as my wife is expecting and I need the car asap. Otherwise, would definitely wait for the MY12 built.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #226
wjamin
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Silver Car

Quote:
Just got confirmation that I am getting a week 36! so the car should be here mid Oct! !
so is your car on the TORRENS or a different ship? Just wondering how often ships come into Australia.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 05:47 AM   #227
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjamin View Post
so is your car on the TORRENS or a different ship? Just wondering how often ships come into Australia.
Don't know. As it's a Sept built, I haven't tried to start tracking it yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 06:57 AM   #228
ppduck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

same same,.. the dealer told me that my x3 will be sept 2011 built as well......
and should be here by end of Nov 2011.... hopefully before and not later....
cheers...

saproz, how do you find out your car made on week 36?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #229
wjamin
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Silver Car

aah, since you said your car was arriving mid Oct, I thought it would have been built already..

Got an early Aug build, and dealer said prob deliver mid Oct too.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #230
meatpopsicle
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Well, I just got the phone call saying the car will be ready for pickup tomorrow. So in total, that's 6 working days from "Its landed and awaiting customs clearance" to "Bring us a cheque". I think they expidiated it wanting the funds before the end of the month.

Anyway, I have a feeling I am about to get screwed on the Corporate Program (EPP). At sales time, they said "As long as you are an employee", but it was only last week, they actually said they require their pro-forma to be filled out. The pro-forma says "so and so is eligible for the program". I never received a T&C for the EPP, but its written on my contract so I guess I've got that going for me. Dunno how this is gonna play out.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:44 AM   #231
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpopsicle View Post
Well, I just got the phone call saying the car will be ready for pickup tomorrow. So in total, that's 6 working days from "Its landed and awaiting customs clearance" to "Bring us a cheque". I think they expidiated it wanting the funds before the end of the month.

Anyway, I have a feeling I am about to get screwed on the Corporate Program (EPP). At sales time, they said "As long as you are an employee", but it was only last week, they actually said they require their pro-forma to be filled out. The pro-forma says "so and so is eligible for the program". I never received a T&C for the EPP, but its written on my contract so I guess I've got that going for me. Dunno how this is gonna play out.
That's standard for the EPP. As long as you've got a letter that says you're employed by X, then you're sorted.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #232
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppduck View Post
sparoz, how do you find out your car made on week 36?
thanks
Once it has been allocated, you should be able to get that from your dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjamin View Post
aah, since you said your car was arriving mid Oct, I thought it would have been built already..

Got an early Aug build, and dealer said prob deliver mid Oct too.
X3 and X5 comes quicker from the US. If it is early August build, it would be docked by mid September. Have you got the chassis number? You should be able to track it now if it has already been built.

Quote:

Gratz on the delivery! They have a month to tidy up the paper work for the EPP, so all you should need is the letter from your company.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #233
meatpopsicle
Rep

Well, I finally took delivery. My company finally came through with the pro-forma so it was a big relief. I made sure to get a gift for the corporate secretary since it was not something she would normally do.

Anyway, pick up was slated for Tuesday but I think the transport from Clayton was full so they bumped me 12 hours. Got a nice little 320i to drive around for that evening. The missus was unimpressed with the quirky interior and cup holders saying the Scenic design was much better. We made sure to get the most out of it by cruising down to St Kilda for some dessert.

Finally got the call the next day at around lunch time. Clean and tidy with 18km on the clock. I also ordered the boot liner which they did not install so I had to make the salesman get his hands dirty. Free umbrella and a full tank, no other extras.

So, first impressions. Of course you have to compare it with ones current car (Renault Scenic Phase II)
- The seat lift mechanism is better on the Renault as there is a handle to 'pump' you up. With the X3, you have to 'bounce' on your seat to get it to come up.
- The is no speed limiter function, only a audible warning.
- The handbrake is less intuitive. On the Renault, the handbrake is fully auto meaning as soon as you apply pressure on the accelerator, the handbrake will disengage and when the engine stops it will engage. None of this press the auto-hold business.

Other anonayces:
- The boot liner with the fold out bumper cover (as per the brochure) is crap. The fold out bit is just glued to the back of the liner and there is no retraction mechanism so you have to flop it over the interior. If you want a tidy look, you have to fold in under the liner, but it will bulge the liner if the fold out bit is not lying flat.
- The auto stop. I live on a busy road and often have to dart across gaps in the traffic to get into my driveway. The auto stop will stop the engine while I am waiting for said gap.

I was also very surprised by the insurance premium. $580 at the highest excess which is actually cheaper than my 6 year old Scenic.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #234
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
- The handbrake is less intuitive. On the Renault, the handbrake is fully auto meaning as soon as you apply pressure on the accelerator, the handbrake will disengage and when the engine stops it will engage. None of this press the auto-hold business.
I've now gotten use to having to press the auto-hold every time I start the car. But I too also wish the default setting was "ON".

Quote:
- The auto stop. I live on a busy road and often have to dart across gaps in the traffic to get into my driveway. The auto stop will stop the engine while I am waiting for said gap.
The first couple of days with me I would turn off the auto stop. But I've now got used to it and leave it on the whole time. I've learnt to pre-empt the need for the engine to be on and have no problem in getting a fast getaway. I've also learnt that if you just lightly touch the accelerator, the engine will re-start but still hold you in "auto-hold".

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:04 AM   #235
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
...Got a nice little 320i to drive around for that evening. The missus was unimpressed with the quirky interior and cup holders saying the Scenic design was much better....

- The seat lift mechanism is better on the Renault as there is a handle to 'pump' you up. With the X3, you have to 'bounce' on your seat to get it to come up.
- The is no speed limiter function, only a audible warning.

Other anonayces:
Remember, BMW didn't win an award for interior design for auxiliary items. Besides the 3er is one of the oldest i the line up. It is always about ergonomics for the driver.

You shouldn't need to bounce up - one hand to engage the lift control, and pull yourself up using the steering wheel.

Not sure if I would personally like to have a setting to limit my actual speed. You never know what situation you might be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I've now gotten use to having to press the auto-hold every time I start the car. But I too also wish the default setting was "ON".

The first couple of days with me I would turn off the auto stop. But I've now got used to it and leave it on the whole time. I've learnt to pre-empt the need for the engine to be on and have no problem in getting a fast getaway. I've also learnt that if you just lightly touch the accelerator, the engine will re-start but still hold you in "auto-hold".

Tony
So, auto park brake was off by default? I was really annoyed with it as I can't inch into my garage and rather have it off at all times.

With auto start stop, you can also have your steering wheel slightly off centre to stop it from engaging.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 04:08 AM   #236
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Just tracked it! Car's been built and on the Texas! Arriving 2 Oct 2011!

edit: Actually, it's still at the terminal waiting for the Texas... looks like it's built early like my 1M... not sure if I am getting the September changes...

Last edited by sparoz; 09-02-2011 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #237
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Just tracked it! Car's been built and on the Texas! Arriving 2 Oct 2011!

edit: Actually, it's still at the terminal waiting for the Texas... looks like it's built early like my 1M... not sure if I am getting the September changes...
I went in and saw the dealer yesterday - according to their email on the MY12 update newsletter, the MY12 changes in OZ are just a change to the centre air con vent surround plastic, to a slightly darker and shinier black colour and the Japanese supply problem will be fixed removing the need to order the extended bluetooth with smartphone integration...

And he said this isn't scheduled until the October build cars...

Hmmm. Do I trust them?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #238
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
I went in and saw the dealer yesterday - according to their email on the MY12 update newsletter, the MY12 changes in OZ are just a change to the centre air con vent surround plastic, to a slightly darker and shinier black colour and the Japanese supply problem will be fixed removing the need to order the extended bluetooth with smartphone integration...

And he said this isn't scheduled until the October build cars...

Hmmm. Do I trust them?
Sounds about right I suppose. Either or I am actually happier for the car to arrive early.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #239
meatpopsicle
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if I would personally like to have a setting to limit my actual speed. You never know what situation you might be in..
You can override it my pressing down hard on the accelerator. Ie, engaging the 'kickdown' function.

Quote:
With auto start stop, you can also have your steering wheel slightly off centre to stop it from engaging.
Good tip, will definately try it.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #240
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You can override it my pressing down hard on the accelerator. Ie, engaging the 'kickdown' function.
ic - check your cruise control it is there. IIRC it was there when I test drove it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:05 AM   #241
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Was stuck in traffic on Moggill Road this afternoon with a white 30d M Sport at 4:45pm...

I was in the Blue Z4 - anyone want to own up?

Car looked great BTW!

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #242
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Someone hit the accelerator

Wow - found out the VIN today - I was expecting this week to be the manufacture week.

Instead - its already on the MV Oberon and sailing across the Pacific.
Due into Melbourne on the 26th of September.
1 month sooner than I was expecting....

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0