BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Slayerman
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Pirelli CINTURATO P7 All Season Tire Replacement

Hello All,

I am not sure if all the 2014 X3's came with these Pirelli run flat tires, but I want to share some info with you in case you get a flat within your first year of ownership. Of course when purchasing the vehicle you have the option to purchase tire protection from the dealer, but I did not do so. Unfortunately we have only owned our X3 for about 6 months or so when we experienced a slice in the tire that caused a loss of air pressure. You can drive it around for a while under 50 mph, but both BMW and Pirelli do not recommend you repair the tires and instead replace it. After all, if you drive on it a while it is bound to put some serious stress on the reinforced side walls that allow you to drive while flat.

Anyway, since we didn't have the insurance we were looking at possibly paying about $400+ for a tire replacement. I did some research and found that Pirelli gives a 1 year warranty for roadside hazard on their run flat tires only. There is some information on the disc that came with the vehicle, but my local BMW had no idea what I was talking about.

I checked the Pirelli website and called them as well. The result was a very good Pirelli Technical Bulleting that you should be able to provide a copy to any Pirelli dealer and they should replace your tire if less than a year old. Well, even armed with this information I called around and numerous authorized Pirelli tire dealers per the Pirelli website wanted nothing to do with me. I ended up going to my dealer to show them the Technical Bulletin and convinced them to call Pirelli. They did so for me and then provided me a brand new tire for just the cause of mounting, balancing, weights, and small disposal fee. Total was just over $50 versus paying over $400.

The Technical Bulletin states:
"If a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship or material irregularities or road hazard injury during the initial warranty period, the tire will be replaced to the owner at no charge. The initial warranty period lasts one year from the date of original retail purchase (purchase receipt
required) or within the first 2/32" of original tread, whichever occurs first. After the initial warranty period, if a Run Flat tire becomes unserviceable due to workmanship and material irregularities or road hazard injury, the owner must pay the cost for a comparable new Pirelli brand or PTNA private brand replacement tire on a pro-rated basis. An authorized Pirelli dealer will determine the cost by multiplying the percentage of the original usable tread worn by the current dealer selling price. The owner will be responsible for any associated service charges, including mounting and balancing of the tire. A tire has delivered its original usable tread and is considered 100% worn when the treadwear indicators (2/32" tread
remaining) become visible regardless of age or mileage. Run Flat tires have the same mileage warranty as the standard tire line they are part of, up to a maximum of 30,000 miles."

You can get a copy of the Technical Bulletin here:
http://www.pirelli.com/mediaObject/p...atWarranty.pdf

The Technical Bulletin convinced them when the Tire Warranty Disc that came with the vehicle didn't quite do the job. They were able to call the phone number on the Bulletin and get it straightened out in very little time.

The dealer ends up processing it as a "DealerTire" with Pirelli, whatever than means. I hope this information helps some of you save some money.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
tuatua
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 28d

Great info. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Thanks a lot for the info, I wasn't aware of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
Krisms
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i

thank you! that's very good info.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
I suspect this only works in the US tho, not in europe.

I've done about 25k miles with my P7s, and I am looking at replacing all 4 of them, probably with the same brand.
I've had 3 (slow) punctures, all of them were fixed without having to change the tire. I carry a small compressor at the back of the car and I can show the garage that I didn't drive on a deflated tire. Some garages don't want to touch them anyway, but I found a couple that give no problem.
      06-19-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I posted this a number of years ago and it still applies. Dealers feign ignorance on this as they would rather sell you a brand new tires at full pop.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...azard+warranty

Last edited by pokerface; 06-19-2014 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0