BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Daytime running lights

These look magnificent on the X3 and much less "fairground" than other manufacturer designs. I understand they are LEDs that come with my xenon option. Does anyone know the wattage / comsumption of these lights and the effect of use on mpg (%?). Having driven in even the sunniest countries where these are a legal requirement they really do enhance situational awareness of other drivers and pedestrians, so would like to leave them on all year.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I'm only taking an educated guess here, but I would say the effect would be less than negligable. If you take mpg to that extreme, you should also consider the effects of driving with the radio on or with the navigation screen continuosly lit. Once your engine is running, the only thing that you can do with switches in your car to effect mpg (aside from driving in sport or sport +) is to drive with the AC on, and there are plenty of studies out there to show that it's better to do that than drive over 50 mph with the windows open thus creating more drag.
Appreciate 0