BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #1
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Fuel Prices - UK

The maximum price for diesel is now 151.0p according to www.petrolprices.com! That's £101.77 to fill up your new X3 (67 litre tank)!!

Average is 139.7p which is £93.60 for a full tank but oil prices are likely to rise in the short term at least.

I need to improve on my 33 mpg!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

We are currently achieving 22.5mpg in the Disco, 33.6 in the petrol 4wd Qashqai. That's with lots of hill work everyday. Hope to get more than the Disco when we finally get our X3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

how big is the tank in the x3? just filled up 60l in the 5 series and cost 80+ quid already...
      03-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Posted this request before but not sure anyone responded so thought I would have another go.

Can someone who is lucky enough to already have their car let us all know what real life mpg figures are being achieved on a 2.0d with manual gearbox.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
The maximum price for diesel is now 151.0p according to www.petrolprices.com! That's £101.77 to fill up your new X3 (67 litre tank)!!

Average is 139.7p which is £93.60 for a full tank but oil prices are likely to rise in the short term at least.

I need to improve on my 33 mpg!
Are you using stop / start or have you turned it off?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
how big is the tank in the x3? just filled up 60l in the 5 series and cost 80 quid already...
67L. You can get £100 in there now if you're unlucky

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
Posted this request before but not sure anyone responded so thought I would have another go.

Can someone who is lucky enough to already have their car let us all know what real life mpg figures are being achieved on a 2.0d with manual gearbox.

Thanks
I'd be really interested to know also and from any other UK auto drivers. Also to what extent do members feel the tyre choice affects mpg?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Today's US newspapers are full of articles predicting fuel cost increases of 20 to 25% over the next 3 months. The increased costs will be due to the loss of refining capability in Japan due to the loss of 1/3rd of Japanese refineries in the earthquake and tsunami, and also the predicted dramatic increase of fuel oil use for electricity generation due to the loss of the nuclear reactors.

Today's US average price of regular grade (89 octane) petrol was US$3.55/US gallon, with premium grade (93 octane) costing around US$4.25. Here in northern Illinois, "regular" is going for US$ 3.70 and premium is often US$4.40 or more.

To completely fill a X3 35i (17.7 US gallons) with 93 octane currently costs US$ 80.71 (49.71 GBP) but if the predictions are accurate it will soon be more like US$100.89 (62.14 GBP). I'm seeing a mixed city/highway mileage of about 22 mpg (US) for a full-tank range of no more than 375 miles.

Although those are not prices we are used to seeing here, they have to sound like a real bargain to those of you in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
I'd be really interested to know also and from any other UK auto drivers. Also to what extent do members feel the tyre choice affects mpg?
i,m getting 39 mpg average and still rising .this is on manual box,have done about 1000 miles so far of mixed driving,hope to finally get about 43 mpg.Was getting 48 mpg average out of 2.0 diesel X1 before i chopped it in for the f25 x3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Thanks for this. Although the manual and auto come out with the same figures in the official test the reality is that in real life manual gearboxes are more efficient. Seems to be the case still despite the undoubted quality of the 8 speed auto.

I have gone for the manual gearbox by the way. Just don't feel old enough for an auto yet :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Are you using stop / start or have you turned it off?
I have stop-start switched on all of the time but I know how much pressure the brake pedal needs to engage it so I only let it stop when I expect a reasonable wait.

I've noticed it sometimes doesn't stop the engine even when the engine is warm and when it has previously stopped it on the same trip, seems random and not due to battery charge. It does work most of the time though.

My 33 mpg is looking better recently. Currently about 1/4 tank left and managed 37.5 mpg on this tank.

Re. tyres, I suspect I have the least fuel efficient because there are 19" and they are runflats.

Re. manual vs auto, you can drive the auto very efficiently and it does change up and keep the revs low if you drive it this way. Is it more or less efficient than a manual? I'm sure it would be impossible to drive the auto more efficiently than the manual if you were trying your hardest in both because you can change up so much earlier than the auto ever would, even when driving the auto conservatively.

The official mpg figures are based on artificial rolling road tests of mixed driving and they are a useful car to car comparison. Real mpg is always less and is mostly affected by how you drive. I could probably get 45 mpg travelling on A roads in one direction and only 28 mpg coming back along the same route.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Daddy-O View Post
I have gone for the manual gearbox by the way. Just don't feel old enough for an auto yet :-)
I can remember taking the p!ss out of one of my mates for getting an automatic about 6 years ago. Tell me 33 is old enough for an auto?!

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Large tire + Runflats = less fuel efficient why?

Larger radius gives a mechanical advantage. Run flats are a bit stiffer so should loose less in deformation. Don't see small tires on the rear of drag racers and efficient delivery of power is key to them
      03-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
julesjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
I have stop-start switched on all of the time but I know how much pressure the brake pedal needs to engage it so I only let it stop when I expect a reasonable wait.

I've noticed it sometimes doesn't stop the engine even when the engine is warm and when it has previously stopped it on the same trip, seems random and not due to battery charge. It does work most of the time though.

My 33 mpg is looking better recently. Currently about 1/4 tank left and managed 37.5 mpg on this tank.

Re. tyres, I suspect I have the least fuel efficient because there are 19" and they are runflats.

Re. manual vs auto, you can drive the auto very efficiently and it does change up and keep the revs low if you drive it this way. Is it more or less efficient than a manual? I'm sure it would be impossible to drive the auto more efficiently than the manual if you were trying your hardest in both because you can change up so much earlier than the auto ever would, even when driving the auto conservatively.

The official mpg figures are based on artificial rolling road tests of mixed driving and they are a useful car to car comparison. Real mpg is always less and is mostly affected by how you drive. I could probably get 45 mpg travelling on A roads in one direction and only 28 mpg coming back along the same route.
hi sfax,glad to see you are enjoying your car,37.5mpg is still not to bad but i,m sure it will still improve been out since last quote on forum up to 39.4 mpg,its good to see the differance between the manual &auto box also i,m running on 18'' runflats compared to your 19'' runflats. Cannot believe 10 _12 month deliveries now being quoted ,we were complaining about 3_4 months wait just shows how lucky we were to have ordered so early .keep enjoying your bmw,always look out for your comments on the forum
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Large tire Runflats = less fuel efficient why?

Larger radius gives a mechanical advantage. Run flats are a bit stiffer so should loose less in deformation. Don't see small tires on the rear of drag racers and efficient delivery of power is key to them
We need Lotus to answer this one! I daren't apply my physics on friction and have it taken apart but I would say that you don't see many mountain bikes on the Tour de France

I know run flats are less efficient because BMW state it in the brochure. Their standard 17s are low resistance and more efficient. I went for style over economy. I'm so shallow

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjen View Post
hi sfax,glad to see you are enjoying your car,37.5mpg is still not to bad but i,m sure it will still improve been out since last quote on forum up to 39.4 mpg,its good to see the differance between the manual &auto box also i,m running on 18'' runflats compared to your 19'' runflats. Cannot believe 10 _12 month deliveries now being quoted ,we were complaining about 3_4 months wait just shows how lucky we were to have ordered so early .keep enjoying your bmw,always look out for your comments on the forum
JJ! Good to see you back on the forum

Impressive mpg and I like the fact you have a target and a benchmark Re. the wait, yeah, I knew I'd done well getting in early by the big jump in wait times only a month after I ordered. If I was looking now I would probably end up with a different car (not as good of course!) rather than wait 10 months

Did you have any joy with your complaint re. electric sports seat adjustment?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
We need Lotus to answer this one! I daren't apply my physics on friction and have it taken apart but I would say that you don't see many mountain bikes on the Tour de France

I know run flats are less efficient because BMW state it in the brochure. Their standard 17s are low resistance and more efficient. I went for style over economy. I'm so shallow
I should add my Tour de France analogy pertains to tyre width!!

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 04:31 AM   #18
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

None of the Brits are too young for an auto. I made my decision 6 years a go (when 39) based on the UK traffic congestion. Due to traffic volumes I dont want to change gear every few seconds at the same time as having to stop at lights, junctions and chaos evey 1/5mile on our urban roads. Furthermore, the modern 'auto' box is so far advanced from a 1980's 3 speeder that the ecomomy and emmisions trade off are almost zero.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
Bustofa,

Over 950 miles of mixed driving i'm getting 41mpg. Standard wheels and (Eco) tyres. Don't hang about on the motorway but generally let the autobox change up before 2000rpm. Hoping it improves as it loosens up.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #20
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Great real world feedback Dobs, I had hoped for 40mpg in real life.

I too have ordered (del in Oct) an auto with std wheel/tyres on the basis of cost (of wheel upgrade), economy and importantly for the UK - quality of our roads. If I lived in the US, France or Germany I would go for the big ones with carpet like rad surfaces. My local stealer once said 'its only the men that want big wheels, never asked for them by women buyers'........
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I'm getting 23mpg in my 35i. A lot better than I had expected.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #22
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
Bustofa,

Over 950 miles of mixed driving i'm getting 41mpg. Standard wheels and (Eco) tyres. Don't hang about on the motorway but generally let the autobox change up before 2000rpm. Hoping it improves as it loosens up.
Many thanks, Dobs; an interesting picture is building. I'll post a summary later.
Appreciate 0