BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #1
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

X3 vs X5...

I asked this on the X5 forum. Wanna see what the X3 forum thinks about this. I am more in the market for a SUV. Primary reasons:

1. Girlfriend has a Z4... So can't get another 2 seater...
2. My previous 135i was a nightmare going through unpaved roads accessing hiking trails, etc.
3. Better ground clearance for snow over the ski season
4. Once or twice a year, road trip with some friends/family.

We have no kids or anything, and don't think kids are in the picture for at least a few years. Most of the time the vehicle of course is just to commute to work and get groceries amongst other things. So the thought was that the X3 is the perfect vehicle for the job.

However we have came over some really bargain priced used 2014 X5s. They are almost as cheap as 2015 LCI X3s. Considering residual, the X5 will probably have slightly lower cost over 5 years of ownership. Not to mention the nicer interior of the X5 over the X3:

Used 2014 X5 at 50k CAD (ex rental), no damage no accident. 30k km on the Odo. Weirdly all configured with 3rd row seating option which I don't need. Exterior is perfect and interior might need say a good detailing, or a trim or 2 replaced if scuffs bothers me. No Premium Package tho (no Comfort Access, no Homelink, no rear heated seats, no surround view, no headup display, no HK audio...) Still warranty left.

Vs

Used 2015 X3 at around 46k CAD. This is with Premium Package Enhanced (Comfort Access, HK audio, no surround view or headsup display still). Usually around 20k on the Odo. Warranty left also of course.

The only thing I can't get past is how the X5 is such a big car, but actually has less cargo volume? If both the X3 and X5 seats 5 and has similar cargo space, what's the point of such a huge vehicle?

Looking for people to talk some sense into me. Thanks!
      11-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

What do you class as a 2014 X5 in Canada? E70 or F15?

If it is an F15 I would say definitely consider it, but drive them both and see what you prefer.
When I was looking I much preferred the F25 X3 over the E70, and thought it stacked up very well against the F15 too.

You really need to drive both and decide what you want from the car. The X3 is far more chuckable, the X5 feels bigger and more wafty, I like them both. To me the X3 feels like a jacked up 5 series, the X5 feels like a jacked up 7 series.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
What do you class as a 2014 X5 in Canada? E70 or F15?

If it is an F15 I would say definitely consider it, but drive them both and see what you prefer.
When I was looking I much preferred the F25 X3 over the E70, and thought it stacked up very well against the F15 too.

You really need to drive both and decide what you want from the car. The X3 is far more chuckable, the X5 feels bigger and more wafty, I like them both. To me the X3 feels like a jacked up 5 series, the X5 feels like a jacked up 7 series.
If it's the F15 X5, then go with the F15 X5 if it's an E70 X5. Then I would go with the F25 X3. In my opinion the E70 looks incredible dated at this time. Especially since production of the E70 started late 2007. But I think the F15 looks much more uniform in design than the F25. But keep in mind, if it is the F15 X5, can you drive a car as big as the F15 X5 that does not have a back up camera? I can't imagine my F25 without a backup camera or sensors. I would have probably backed into many parallel parked cars by now, if I did not have it. And the X5 is a much bigger car.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

2014 is the first year of the F15 for Canada. So it's a F15 X5.

There's backup camera and Front back PDC, just not Surround View camera nor Comfort Access.
      11-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
rcblackwell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
The only thing I can't get past is how the X5 is such a big car, but actually has less cargo volume?
I've heard the engine compartment of an X5 is longer in order to accommodate larger engine sizes. This results in less space for passengers and storage. I think the leg room in the 2 row X5 is slightly less than an X3. I know an X5 is about 2" wider but when you loose leg room..... Don't quote me on this, check out the technical specs to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
2014 is the first year of the F15 for Canada. So it's a F15 X5.

There's backup camera and Front back PDC, just not Surround View camera nor Comfort Access.
I would go with F15 then. Newer exterior, much more luxurious interior. Still has the warranty. It's a no brainer in my opinion, in a year and a half or so the F25 will be obsolete with the G01 release. Perhaps try to negotiate the F15 price closer to the F25 price or even lower if possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

If you don't like the size leave the X5 or you may regret, always buy what you want. having said that the X5 drives well for a bigger car, not lumbering test drove for 300kms and slightly more premium interior depending on how it optioned. In my view X3/4 more nimble, like the size hope G01 platform interiors will be stepped up. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Agree with x3 styling about to be obsolete. Also if you want to skip some of the annoyances of the x3 like the steering rack, then I would go X5. I also agree that the X5 doesn't seem to offer any extra space .
      11-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
jponline77
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M Sport

To me, the X3 is a no-brainer.

1) It's lighter
2) It has more features
3) It has more warranty left
4) Space is the same
5) It's less expensive

The styling issues raised here wouldn't be an issue for me:
1) Styling - So, why does it matter that it will be obsolete? First, we don't know how much they will change it. Second, do you like the styling now? if so, why is it an issue? If they make it spectacularly better then you could have a problem with resale. However, this is a spectacular car already, so it's much more likely to be an incremental improvement.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #10
JoeU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 - msport

Garage List
2014 3 wagon, 2.8  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
I just came out of a 2012 X5 to the 2016 X3. While the X5 is a nice vehicle, the X3 is way, way more fun to drive and to a large degree more practical. I think it is a more comfortable driver too.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mposter View Post
Agree with x3 styling about to be obsolete. Also if you want to skip some of the annoyances of the x3 like the steering rack, then I would go X5. I also agree that the X5 doesn't seem to offer any extra space .
They all become obsolete in time when it comes to styling, so why would this be an issue? It is all in the mind's eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeU View Post
While the X5 is a nice vehicle, the X3 is way, way more fun to drive and to a large degree more practical. I think it is a more comfortable driver too.

Best of luck!
Definitely. It can be chucked around on narrow roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #12
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

I felt the N55 on X5 is a bit overburdened. Not much power before a downshift or the turbo fully spools up.

But, X5 is very quiet at highway speed. So if you have long drives on your ski or road trip, that could be a plus over X3. Interior is also a bit larger (slightly wider) for the front seats, so driver's right leg isn't pushed out by the transmission tunnel as much.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 09:47 AM   #13
Flipflop99
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI 2.0d SE Auto

For what you are describing in terms of your usage, i would go for the X3. Do you really want to be parking your massive X5 at the shops and at work? I don't know what the parking is like in Canada but in the UK, the smaller 3 is so much easier to deal with when parking. The one thing I would say about the 3 is that if you plan to carry 5 people, the middle rear seat is not a good place to be for long periods. The only complaints I have had from passengers is from those using the middle, rear seat as the seatbelt clips dig into your bum. Best of luck and whatever one you choose will be a brilliant vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I have a Z4. I had a 135is previously and was deciding whether to trade it in for a F25 X3 35i or E70 X5 diesel. Not exactly the same dilemma as you but a lot of similarities. I chose the F25 and don't regret my decision. It's just the perfect size to drive comfortably for 4 and has enough utility when hauling gear without the oversized suv feel. The F25 handles quite well and doesn't have the bloated feeling you would expect with a SUV/SAV. The 2014+ has nice tech features like HUD and overall build quality surpassed the 135. It doesn't match the road feel I get from my Z4 but it pulls pretty hard and can still make the commute fun. It's a perfect SUV for someone transitioning from a 135, or at least was the case for me. I would get the X5 if you need the space.
      11-08-2015, 07:03 PM   #15
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

I'm not sure why some people drive BMWs if they don't care about, or at least take into account, differences in handling. The X3 is lighter and more nimble than the X5 that outweighs it by perhaps 1,000 lbs. An F70 with the sport or adaptive suspension handles great, I know that personally. But the X3 similarly equipped would be a little lighter feeling. I have yet to hear many raves about non-sport new X5s, most reviews say they are mainstreaming them like other big BMWs.

The F70 X5 is a better handler than the newer version. I happen to prefer the "old" styling for the very reason that it is more rugged (in SAV form) looking. The vast majority of SUV/crossovers are getting more feminine as they seek better fuel economy.

I prefer the F70 X5 styling to the X3, but recent improvements and wheel choices have greatly narrowed that for me.

When it comes to interiors my philosophy is that "good" is "good enough" and that added levels of premium materials and flash are a poor substitute for steering feel and dynamics. And the F70 is no slouch there.

In terms of space the X5 is wider, and its total cargo space with all seats down is about 75 cu ft vs about 63, so it is bigger. Not sure about rear seat leg room, especially as that is really a factor of who's sitting up front of you much of the time. For 2 trips a year I wouldn't make it a major factor unless they're helping you buy it. Overall cargo room with 4 people in it is probably the number to consider most.

The X3 is 58.4" shoulder room, the X5(F70) 60" I believe. So both are fairly wide by passenger vehicle standards. A full size pickup would be 66" or so.

The X3 is cheaper if you are satisfied with the 4 cylinder. If you want the 6, then the price vs a barely used X5 is not that great.

For a couple with no kids, the X3 is certainly adequate, with the bonus that others mentioned like better handling (especially vs the 2014 X5) and for the small difference in price I prefer new to CPO. Just because a certain percentage of people have "problem" vehicles and dump them. Over its life it's not a huge difference either way unless you trade often.

I also have never given a moment's consideration to the "status" aspect of the various models. I've driven X5, E39 540i sport, and E90 325i models that all had pros and cons. The "you can have a 5 for the price of a 3" thing would not matter to me in the least other than in actual attributes of the vehicles.

I personally would be happy with a $45,000 X3 28i Xline trim with upgraded stereo, dynamic suspension, and leather seats. And a full warranty. OOORRRR a 2013 X5 SAV CPO with 35,000 miles for almost exactly the same price. Both will be covered under warranty (for most things) for about 4 years. The 5 might incur a few more out of pocket costs but also might depreciate a little slower as a used vehicle.

Last edited by BrunoT; 11-08-2015 at 07:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep

I don't care about handling too much. Interior and practicality and styling are higher priorities. If performance is the priority then I won't settle for half measures anymore and do a Cayman or a Lotus.

But yeah. X3 is definitely a better fit. Trying to see if there are alternatives so I can wait for the G01.... coming late 2016?
      11-09-2015, 07:08 AM   #17
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

My wife has driven the X5 on long journeys and we have an X3 - she says that the X5 is fine on the journeys but would not be suitable day to day driving.
We really enjoy driving the X3 but the few times I have driven the X5 it feels good but agree its just to big round towns here in UK.
The X3 handles really well, we have taken it to Europe several times and enjoyed many times trips all over UK and use it day to day with no issues..
Good luck
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
I'm not sure why some people drive BMWs if they don't care about, or at least take into account, differences in handling.
I think many people complained about E series BMW's stiff ride, especially with the run-flats. BMW thought by softening up the base suspension they can attract more customers (i.e. mainstream).

And I agree with them, if I am getting a luxury car I am expecting a quiet smooth ride AND good handling if it is a BMW.

But I have to say some of the new BMWs are kinda stuck in a weird place where the handling is good but not great and the ride is not exceptional either (by luxury car standard). It no longer stands out like before. When I get a Mercedes I at least know I am probably getting the most comfortable ride in the business.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #19
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

I would never even contemplate owning an ex-rental, but that might just be me.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #20
askibum02
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Terrain Rental

I just came from driving a '13 X3 35i and a '12 X5 35d back to back. I'm totally new at BMW's so you'll have to excuse me if they are different models than you are looking at. Of course YMMV.

I'm in a little bit if a different situation than you as I have two kids age 13 and 9. My initial impression is the X5 is indeed bigger, but the X3 is not so much smaller that it makes a difference. There is obviously less cargo space in the X3 and a little less rear seat room, but again, not so much that is will affect me in the long run. I don't know what powertrain you drove, but I absolutely LOVE the diesel. The 35i is no slouch, but that torque. In the end, for me, I think I'm going to get the X3. It compares much more closely to the '14 Jetta Sportwagen I'm coming from, and I really don't need the extra space or towing capacity the X5 delivers. The options and features are basically the same between the two.
Appreciate 0