BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Internet option.

Has anyone use their internet option with a phone other than an iPhone?
Getting mixed messages for the dealers here....some say even with an iPhone its not possible without getting the cradle option.
Thought the whole point of extended bluetooth was to get internet to the car via bluetooth.

No Sim car in the car for Australia??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roders View Post
Has anyone use their internet option with a phone other than an iPhone?
Getting mixed messages for the dealers here....some say even with an iPhone its not possible without getting the cradle option.
Thought the whole point of extended bluetooth was to get internet to the car via bluetooth.

No Sim car in the car for Australia??
As I understand it, it's not possible to tether your Internet through your phone. The Internet option is only through the car's SIM. A media cradle and iPhone gives you BMW apps but that's independent of the internet option as far as I know

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Where in the car is the Sim Slot??
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

I think you need BMW ConnectedDrive in your country, take a look at BMW home site in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
As I understand it, it's not possible to tether your Internet through your phone. The Internet option is only through the car's SIM. A media cradle and iPhone gives you BMW apps but that's independent of the internet option as far as I know
Tethering is indeed possible and in fact the only way to do it in Sweden, where the connected drive service is very limited. And it works without the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
Tethering is indeed possible and in fact the only way to do it in Sweden, where the connected drive service is very limited. And it works without the cradle.
Interesting. So when you go to BMW Online on iDrive, it's using your phone's data network? I'm not sure this would work with iPhones on UK contracts because you have to pay extra to tether 3G internet through your iPhone. This also makes owning a phone capable of connecting to a data network a prerequisite and means you could be charged twice (BMW subscription and phone data charges)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. So when you go to BMW Online on iDrive, it's using your phone's data network? I'm not sure this would work with iPhones on UK contracts because you have to pay extra to tether 3G internet through your iPhone. This also makes owning a phone capable of connecting to a data network a prerequisite and means you could be charged twice (BMW subscription and phone data charges)
Thats exactly what happens. You have to have Internet sharing enabled on your phone before you tether for it to work (you can't enable it while the phone is paired). And all the BMW Online services work through the iPhone in this case.

Internet tethering is free on all Swedish contracts (that I know of) and most also include unlimited data (at least if you have an iPhone).

There might be regional differences, since we don't have a sim in our cars (as stated before ConnectedDrive is very limited here), this solution is the only way to access BMW Online.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
vulle
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d -11

Quote:
Quote:
Thats exactly what happens. You have to have Internet sharing enabled on your phone before you tether for it to work (you can't enable it while the phone is paired). And all the BMW Online services work through the iPhone in this case.

Internet tethering is free on all Swedish contracts (that I know of) and most also include unlimited data (at least if you have an iPhone).

There might be regional differences, since we don't have a sim in our cars (as stated before ConnectedDrive is very limited here), this solution is the only way to access BMW Online.
acey81, thanks for the tips! I got internet to work in my car through my iPhones internet tethering. It isn't fast but it works - it's a really cool feature!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Quote:
Where in the car is the Sim Slot??
Where you aren't meant to get at it. There's at least one "machine to machine" (M2M) SIM and associated radio interface, I believe (but I might be wrong).

Fleet management companies use them for monitoring engine management features remotely. For company car drivers: it's how you sometimes get those spooky emails that suggest your car is ready for a service even though it's on a variable service interval - telemetry from the car is telling the fleet company.

I think it's also how the emergency notification thingummy works - your personal mobile (cell) doesn't need to be on for the car to tell BMW assist.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulle View Post
acey81, thanks for the tips! I got internet to work in my car through my iPhones internet tethering. It isn't fast but it works - it's a really cool feature!
Glad you got it to work. But as you say, it's a bit debatable how useful it is at this moment...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #11
vulle
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d -11

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulle View Post
Glad you got it to work. But as you say, it's a bit debatable how useful it is at this moment...
Yes, as of now slow internet seems to be the only use in Finland, no other services. According to my sales rep more services will be launched later this year though.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #12
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Looks like here is Australia we got stung with the internet option.
Took delivery of my 30D Msport today....went to Internet after pairing the phone and enabling data over bluetooth.
Only to be met with a message "sorry this feature is not for your country"

Anyone in Australia get internet working .......
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:18 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Took delivery of my 30D Msport today....went to Internet after pairing the phone and enabling data over bluetooth.

Can they take your money for an option that doesn't work in your country?! That's ridiculous. Does BMW Online work? I assume not.

The other disadvantage of the car not having its own SIM is that you won't be able to send it messages such as using the Google Maps Send to Car function. And you can't use BMW Remote either for finding / locking / ventilating your car. Annoying as these are all cool features

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

BMW Australia is working on the software. Just give them a little more time...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
xerces
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d

Quote:

ehh, I've got exactly the same in Poland, how they can sell this option and then show that this is not available in selected country?!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerces View Post
ehh, I've got exactly the same in Poland, how they can sell this option and then show that this is not available in selected country?!
I agree that this should be made clear to you when you order. I think, as in Australia, it will become available soon in Poland (as per WAY's post)

Przykro mi ale musisz poczekac

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #17
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

It does work in Australia
Just dealers here have not advised customer correctly.
Currently it seems on only worth with iPhones.
You connect your phone via Bluetooth, but then you need to activate the Wifi Hotspot function before the car's internet will work.
A bit crazy but it does work that way
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
perto
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: BMW I3S + IX40

Quote:
It does work in Australia
Just dealers here have not advised customer correctly.
Currently it seems on only worth with iPhones.
You connect your phone via Bluetooth, but then you need to activate the Wifi Hotspot function before the car's internet will work.
A bit crazy but it does work that way
Same for me here i Norway it works via an old Sonyericsson Telephone. I have to activate Internet shearing in the phone.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #19
Dantroy
Rep
Drives: X3 30d m sport

Quote:

Yep works off my iPhone 4
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #20
xerces
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d

Quote:
I agree that this should be made clear to you when you order. I think, as in Australia, it will become available soon in Poland (as per WAY's post)

Przykro mi ale musisz poczekac
hopefully not too long to wait also do you know how to install My BMW Remote App onto X3 in Poland? is it possible?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerces View Post
hopefully not too long to wait also do you know how to install My BMW Remote App onto X3 in Poland? is it possible?
Do you have the equivalent of a BMW Assist subscription (for Google send to car etc)? You need a username and password setup for this first. After that, it's just a case of installing the app. It's not available in the US either but people there have still downloaded it from the UK iTunes Store. I think you need to register a UK address but as it's a free app it doesn't really matter.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I had my subscription enabled today. Previous to that, selecting the Internet option just moaned about having a bluetooth device connected, but now it uses the inbuilt SIM.. I briefly tried it tonight on the way home, but it was sooooooo slow..

Wouldn't be surprised if their SIM was using GPRS and not 3G
Appreciate 0