BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST

Rear center seat belt question.

To buckle my rear center seat belt I have to press the red button down about half way before the the metal part will go in and click. If I just try and push the metal part in like all the other seat belts it does not go all the way in. It unlatches like normal. Is this normal? I looked in the manual, but did not see it mentioned. Can some of you guys maybe check yours? It's a 2017 if that matters.

Last edited by isuzudave; 09-17-2020 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a 2017 X3. I went out to physically verify. Middle rear seat belt works identically to all others. Clicks and unclicks normally. Yours must have something wrong with that seatbelt latch/lock. Sorry...
      09-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
I have a 2017 X3. I went out to physically verify. Middle rear seat belt works identically to all others. Clicks and unclicks normally. Yours must have something wrong with that seatbelt latch/lock. Sorry...
Thanks for checking for me. I had a feeling it might be broken. I was hoping it would be covered under warranty but it looks like to have a 10 year safety belt warranty I need to be in Kansas.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #4
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found the problem. I piece of glass (looks like bottle glass) was stuck in the buckle. Unfortunately after removing the glass it still does not work properly. I will just order a new one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
Vikingstaff
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Nice to figure out what probably caused such a quirky problem. However, bummer it didn’t work properly after removing the small piece of glass.
      09-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #6
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingstaff View Post
Nice to figure out what probably caused such a quirky problem. However, bummer it didn’t work properly after removing the small piece of glass.
I figure trying to push the metal tab into the buckle while a piece of glass was in there either bent or broke something. This is something I would probably never notice, but my 17 year old daughter just started doing babysitting and it sometimes includes picking up young children with booster seats that should be in the center.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
The rear center seat belt is slightly different than the others. I determined this when trying to insert the seat belt for my dog. It goes in but does not lock. Not sure if this is your issue but make sure you are inserting the right belt into it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
isuzudave
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaiderDavid View Post
The rear center seat belt is slightly different than the others. I determined this when trying to insert the seat belt for my dog. It goes in but does not lock. Not sure if this is your issue but make sure you are inserting the right belt into it.
Mine was broken. The piece of glass must have broken or bent something. I replaced it with a new one and it works like all the others now. You are correct that the center buckle is unique, and will only latch into the center receptacle.
Appreciate 0