BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Lowering the F25

Hey everybody,

I spotted a few lowered F25 in this forum and I must admit, that it does look very cool. With this in mind, I'm beginning to think about lowering mine aswell.

Because I really love the feeling of the M-Sport springs (great compromise between comfort and performance), I am a bit worried about potentially losing comfort when fitting aftermarket springs. Installing super-hard springs to increase high speed cornering is really not my objective (seen and done that with my Audi S3 with H+R Springs).... ). I'm just interested in lowering the car to make it look a bit meaner and more dynamic, as my X3 is supposed to my sportive yet comfortable family car.

What experiences have you guys made with your lowered F25?
Has anybody tried out Hartge oder Kelleners Sport Springs?

Thanks for your valuable advice!

Cheers,
Andy
      08-25-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Oslermarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 35i M-sport X3

Nothing like making your family car meaner and more dynamic.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
Toast
Private
Rep
Drives: X3.5m, A4 Avant

how bad are your roads and pot holes
      08-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

The X3 is a top heavy vehicle like any other SUV. Even though I think it certainly is a very good handling car compared to most other SUVs (and especially the Lexus), no matter what you do it will never be a high performance oriented handling street car.

So, I ask you, is the marginal gain in handling from lowering the suspension worth the compromises?

I also would suggest, at least in my opinion, a noticeably lower X3 would look silly because it implies the person that lowered it is more interested in appearance than function.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Part of the reason I went with the X3 is the higher clearance than the 3 series. More space too. Otherwise, I would have got something fairly rare, the diesel 3 series wagon.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
The X3 is a top heavy vehicle like any other SUV. Even though I think it certainly is a very good handling car compared to most other SUVs (and especially the Lexus), no matter what you do it will never be a high performance oriented handling street car.

So, I ask you, is the marginal gain in handling from lowering the suspension worth the compromises?

I also would suggest, at least in my opinion, a noticeably lower X3 would look silly because it implies the person that lowered it is more interested in appearance than function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
Part of the reason I went with the X3 is the higher clearance than the 3 series. More space too. Otherwise, I would have got something fairly rare, the diesel 3 series wagon.
Why do you assume lowering the suspension is going to compromise anything? How did Audi manage to do it with the SQ5 vs. the Q5 then? Or Porsche with the Cayenne GTS?

Answers to your questions in my thread.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1123931
Appreciate 0