BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Audi Q5 HYBRID VS BMW X3 i4 turbo?

so Europe is getting the Audi Hyrbid in a few months, the US in summer or fall.
BMW i4 looks like 4Q 2011 launch in the X3

Q5:
around 250 horsepower and over 300 torque (combined engines)
0-60 in under 7 seconds
MPG ? Car and Driver mentioned 26/27 but insideline was talking numbers in the 30s, so who knows...
Price - rumor is it will be a few thousand more than the 3.2L, but who knows if thats the base model or the premium model (huge difference)

BMW i4:
245 horsepower, ~260 torque?
0-60? they are saying 6.1 for the X1, but thats with a manual, 6.8 for automatic? so maybe 7.0 for the X3 automatic? And I thought the automatics were as quick as the sticks these days, guess I was wrong.
MPG? looks like around 30 highway, maybe 23 city?
Price - starting around $39K-$40K

Now fully loaded I bet both of these will be $55K (I am talking S Line package, M Package, Nav...) The Q5 maybe $1K-$2K more but will have a tax credit in the US most likely to offset that.

My biggest complaint about the Q5 is cheaper interior and lack of non wood panel options (unless you buy the S Line in the 3.2L, which is a pointless engine)

Big question for me will probably be do I go for effenciency or speed, especially since I have a C63 and my wife doesn't really care. M Package on the smaller engine is kind of foolish but I really like the black interior lining that you get with it and the more agressive bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
///MPower_2014
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

6.5 sec 0-60 MPH for the X1 with and automatic according to the latest posts.

The current X3 non-turbo is 6.7 sec (auto), so with the I-4 turbo's higher torque, that should improve slightly, maybe 6.5 too...seems unlikely given the weight difference to the X1, but the gearing is probably not the same either.

The rumors are that the North American X1 won't get the I-4 turbo right away, it will use the same engine as the X3 xdrive28i. The post also claims the X3 xdrive28i will switch to the I-4 turbo in Q4 of this year, but it's not clear that is for North American vehicles or just everywhere else like the X1.

Any insiders who know the I-4 turbo is coming to the X3 in Q4 this year for North American vehicles for sure???? I've very interested as I would wait to purchase if thats the case...more power and better efficiency, bring it! It has balance shafts, so I wouldn't worry about it not being as smooth as the I-6...granted more cylinders is always smoother, but I doubt the I-4 would be considered rough...maybe the diesel version, but not gas.

I wonder if BMW will also make start/stop available in North America with the new I-4 too?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478254
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008_BMW_328xi View Post
6.5 sec 0-60 MPH for the X1 with and automatic according to the latest posts.

The current X3 non-turbo is 6.7 sec (auto), so with the I-4 turbo's higher torque, that should improve slightly, maybe 6.5 too...seems unlikely given the weight difference to the X1, but the gearing is probably not the same either.

The rumors are that the North American X1 won't get the I-4 turbo right away, it will use the same engine as the X3 xdrive28i. The post also claims the X3 xdrive28i will switch to the I-4 turbo in Q4 of this year, but it's not clear that is for North American vehicles or just everywhere else like the X1.

Any insiders who know the I-4 turbo is coming to the X3 in Q4 this year for North American vehicles for sure???? I've very interested as I would wait to purchase if thats the case...more power and better efficiency, bring it! It has balance shafts, so I wouldn't worry about it not being as smooth as the I-6...granted more cylinders is always smoother, but I doubt the I-4 would be considered rough...maybe the diesel version, but not gas.

I wonder if BMW will also make start/stop available in North America with the new I-4 too?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=478254
smaller engine, more power, and better consumption, could be worth the wait...I wonder it fit will be cheaper maybe 20d pricing territory? That will be a no brainer for me:-)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

When I test drove the Q5 about a month ago I asked about the Hybrid version. The CA said that the US market will only be getting about 400 units. He said his dealership which is one of the highest volume dealerships in the region would be lucky to get 1 vehicle. Given that, I'd figure you'd be lucky to pay list price if you could even reserve one.
Appreciate 0