BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
BMWamateur317
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive35i

BMW X3 F25 (2015) Halogen Headlight

I've seen so many people on this platform regretting that they didn't opt in for the Xenon option when they ordered their F25. Sadly, I am one of those people as well. I've spent a long time looking for headlight retrofits or just seeing if the factory xenons would fit into my F25. But I learned that Xenons are not really just a "plug and go" and it requires extensive programming and installment that can be very costly. So now I'm at an impasse, I have no idea what to do, I had read another post in which they had found something, but it was for the pre - face-lift version of the headlights. I'm trying now to focus on the bulbs and whether I can just get brighter ones, but I have no idea what to get and where to start.

Any Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Not a bulb expert, but a thought:

Input last 7 of your car's VIN number here https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and go browse parts: lighting>headlights to verify the bulb type and wattage you have now.

(here's example of what you'll see - https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_1596)

Then perhaps browse halogen bulbs with higher output - if bulbs show lumen ratings that is what you want to bump up as lumens represent amount of light emitted. You probably want to be cautious about using bulb that draws more power (higher wattage/amperage rating) as BMW electronics tend to be very sensitive to non-spec electrical items.

I suppose LED might be an option - I'm not up on retrofitting with them so no comment.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
  • Easiest is to just buy H7 bulbs from here
  • Stock H7 bulbs are ~ 1200 to 1500 lumens, these are 2100 lumens
  • Way brighter than stock and they're plug and play.
  • I have them for lows and highs on my E39 and they're a noticeable upgrade from stock.
  • Stay away from blue bulbs, Xenon color or silverstar
  • My X25 has factory Xenon.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      12-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #4
BMWamateur317
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
  • Easiest is to just buy H7 bulbs from here
  • Stock H7 bulbs are ~ 1200 to 1500 lumens, these are 2100 lumens
  • Way brighter than stock and they're plug and play.
  • I have them for lows and highs on my E39 and they're a noticeable upgrade from stock.
  • Stay away from blue bulbs, Xenon color or silverstar
  • My X25 has factory Xenon.
Will those new H7 bulbs have that same yellowish color as the stock ones?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWamateur317 View Post
Will those new H7 bulbs have that same yellowish color as the stock ones?
Do you want a pretty color light or more usable light on the road? But yes, they are halogen, will be a little whiter than the stock bulbs, but still yellowish, though with more light output than stock.

You can mess around with LEDs, kinda hit or miss, try coding them to work properly, perhaps blinding oncoming traffic, may have less usable light output then stock, but the Halogens I linked will not blind people, are plug and play and will actually improve your usable light output.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

I bought my X3 as a CPO and never considered the lighting until after making the purchase. The first time I drove it at night I realized the lighting absolutely sucked. First, I was bummed out because it doesn't have the BMW trademark halo lights and secondly the halogens light output was horrible. Like you, I researched options quickly realizing those options were cost prohibitive. As a last resort I researched aftermarket H-7 bulbs and ended up choosing one that was more to the whiter range and had a much higher lumen output. This was a significant improvement over the original halogens. It still isn't in the range of the other BMW lighting options, but at least I can now see the road at night.

2019 BMW 430 XI Grand Coupe, White, Black leather interior

2016 BMW X3, 28d, Mineral White metalic, Oyster Nevada leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Fart View Post
I bought my X3 as a CPO and never considered the lighting until after making the purchase. The first time I drove it at night I realized the lighting absolutely sucked. First, I was bummed out because it doesn't have the BMW trademark halo lights and secondly the halogens light output was horrible. Like you, I researched options quickly realizing those options were cost prohibitive. As a last resort I researched aftermarket H-7 bulbs and ended up choosing one that was more to the whiter range and had a much higher lumen output. This was a significant improvement over the original halogens. It still isn't in the range of the other BMW lighting options, but at least I can now see the road at night.
When I was looking for a used F25, I ruled out any that did not have Bi-Xenon lights, though all 35i models come with them so it made searching a little easier.

Which brand and model bulbs did you used that have more lumens then the stock Halogen bulbs.
Appreciate 0