BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
BookemDano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

2016 X3 Adaptive LED Headlights

I'm reading some conflicting information about the Adaptive LED headlights on the X3. According to the BMW website about Adaptive LED headlights:

Quote:
The Adaptive Headlights cast their beam in the direction of the curve and ensure better visibility and more safety during night drives on winding roads.
OTOH, I've seen videos showing that the headlights do more - they adjust to prevent blinding the drivers in the oncoming lane and in front of you while increasing the light in other areas

Can someone clarify this? Do these Adaptive LED headlights just go left and right to follow the curve, or is it something more sophisticated?

Thanks,

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

There are two different things and may vary between markets. Here in the Australian market the optional LED headlights are "Adaptive" - they move left-to-right to follow the road from inputs from the steering wheel. Separate to this, there is an additional option called "Selective Beam" which can automatically adjust its aim without dazzling oncoming traffic. It may be different in the US market.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Tony,

Thanks for the info. This is one of the issues I'm finding - different features for different markets.

BMW USA is not good about providing those details. Given the cost of the X3, I'd rate the BMW USA website as poor. For example, some people believe that the X3's Xenon headlights are adaptive. But I can't find any information on the BMW USA website proving that.

Regards,

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano
Tony,

Thanks for the info. This is one of the issues I'm finding - different features for different markets.

BMW USA is not good about providing those details. Given the cost of the X3, I'd rate the BMW USA website as poor. For example, some people believe that the X3's Xenon headlights are adaptive. But I can't find any information on the BMW USA website proving that.

Regards,

Dan.
Well in the US, they don't FULLY Function... There are MANY features that are Decoded! I'm not that familiar with it (I'm in the Middle Eastern Market, so I get em Fully Functional) so I don't think I'm THAT eligible for helping you out! Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
The selective beam feature, as far as I know, is not available in the US - only the adaptive headlights that move with your steering. Unless someone can correct me - I thought I recall someone mentioning also that that was not something you could get in the US. I wonder if true, if it is for regulatory reasons like the orange reflectors.

Also, I would think that this couldn't be coded for all since it is reliant on having the proper hardware to detect oncoming traffic headlights, etc. but perhaps those with the automatic high beams have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

If it helps there is an F15 thread which explains a little more about the functions in different regions HERE

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Gentlemen (Ladies?),

Thanks for the feedback. This is very interesting reading. It appears that changing the coding will unlock some very desirable lighting features. One thing I'm still confused about... Given that most (all?) LED features are also available on the X3's Xenon package, what are the advantages of LEDs other than the "cool" factor?

Thanks,

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:18 AM   #8
evilken
Rep
Drives:

I just decoded 8S4 which enabled Variable Light Distribution on my X3. This enable the more sophisticated Low-beam options . If I had the High Beam Assist option, I could also remove 5AP and enable the real deal Anti Dazzle headlights which includes the High Beam option that you are referring to, but I don't have that option on my car. To tell if you have the options to code this in your car Vin Decode your car and see if you see 8S4 or 5AP. If you do, you have the hardware to enable it with coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 01:29 AM   #9
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilken View Post
I just decoded 8S4 which enabled Variable Light Distribution on my X3. This enable the more sophisticated Low-beam options . If I had the High Beam Assist option, I could also remove 5AP and enable the real deal Anti Dazzle headlights which includes the High Beam option that you are referring to, but I don't have that option on my car. To tell if you have the options to code this in your car Vin Decode your car and see if you see 8S4 or 5AP. If you do, you have the hardware to enable it with coding.
Ken,

Do you have Xenon or LED?

Thanks,

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 02:27 AM   #10
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
Gentlemen (Ladies?),

Thanks for the feedback. This is very interesting reading. It appears that changing the coding will unlock some very desirable lighting features. One thing I'm still confused about... Given that most (all?) LED features are also available on the X3's Xenon package, what are the advantages of LEDs other than the "cool" factor?

Thanks,

Dan.
Its been described to me that LED is to Xenon what Xenon was to Halogen, haven't seen it with my own eyes so I will reserve judgement until my F15 is delivered
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
evilken
Rep
Drives:

I have the HID headlights. I can't speak about the differences between the LED and HID lights, but I do know that the 2 features I spoke of above can be enabled on both the LED and HID lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #12
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMS View Post
Its been described to me that LED is to Xenon what Xenon was to Halogen, haven't seen it with my own eyes so I will reserve judgement until my F15 is delivered
Hummm...I have not seen them in real life either. I have adaptive Xenons and High Beam Assist (HBA) on my late 2013 X3 xDrive30d M Sport, and the difference over the Halogens on my previous 2012 F31 320d Sport is/was really marked, with everything being so much clearer. The Xenons make everything as clear as sunlight with all details being picked out at their maximum cut off range.

I cannot see how LED can be such a step up improvement over Xenons, as Xenons were to Halogen. Given that BMW's Xenon implementation in the UK was undoubtedly the best and streets ahead of the opposition. How can it even be physically possible I have to ask.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:53 AM   #13
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Folks,

Thanks for the excellent feedback. It sounds like LEDs are an expensive nice to have. I'm going to pass on them and just get the Xenons.

Regards,

Dan
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I've seen them in action - and they are supposed to be even brighter, but to be honest, I couldn't tell. The only way I can tell that it is LED is when I look at it and I see the horizontal bar in the middle of the oval, but brightness wise I could not tell very much. I am sure it is brighter, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference to me over the Xenons. The jump from Xenons to LEDs is no where the great leap it is from Halogens to Xenons.

My CA actually suggested that it wasn't worth the $1900 extra unless you really had to have the LED turn signals that are above the angel eyes, since it comes with the LED lights. So, if you really want the LED turn signals... you'll need to get the LED lights. (not talking about the LED turn signals on the side mirrors which I think are standard now?) It wasn't worth the $1900 to me though the turn signals do look nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #15
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I have ordered LED headlamps on my X3 due Sept. Looking forward to seeing the difference from current xenons.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #16
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

I read that LED are a bit brighter than Xenon. Main advantages of LED compared to Xenon are: less power consumption, no heat, they don't have a limited life.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #17
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

All sound like good advantages. When you are driving when it is snowing hard out, will the snow not melt from the LED lights, since they don't get hot? If so,this could be a big disadvantage in the snow climates - right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrueb View Post
I read that LED are a bit brighter than Xenon. Main advantages of LED compared to Xenon are: less power consumption, no heat, they don't have a limited life.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #18
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBV1 View Post
All sound like good advantages. When you are driving when it is snowing hard out, will the snow not melt from the LED lights, since they don't get hot? If so,this could be a big disadvantage in the snow climates - right?
That is a good point. I guess you could be right!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
BookemDano
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting question. I'll ping my salesman the next time I talk to home.

Dan.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:21 PM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
Interesting question. I'll ping my salesman the next time I talk to home.

Dan.
Perhaps he will want to sell you LED lights? If so, he might not tell you the complete truth or say that snow build up on the lights matters little.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #21
FarNorth
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I do have the adaptive LEDs on my X3 and you are right about the issues in hard snowing. If it is really hard snowing, and especially with temperatures around 0 degrees celcius, I have to stop and clean the headlights now and then. Another thing to be aware of is that the light form the LEDs are so bright that glare may be a problem in really heavy snowing. These two things are, in my opinion, the downside of the LEDs. But, despite of this I will surely order LEDs on my next car too. In all other conditions adaptive LED headlights are the best I have had on a car. And I can tell you we do have some days of heavy snowing in nothern Norway...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #22
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Thanks for answering my question. You definitely do get heavy snow in your part of the country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorth View Post
I do have the adaptive LEDs on my X3 and you are right about the issues in hard snowing. If it is really hard snowing, and especially with temperatures around 0 degrees celcius, I have to stop and clean the headlights now and then. Another thing to be aware of is that the light form the LEDs are so bright that glare may be a problem in really heavy snowing. These two things are, in my opinion, the downside of the LEDs. But, despite of this I will surely order LEDs on my next car too. In all other conditions adaptive LED headlights are the best I have had on a car. And I can tell you we do have some days of heavy snowing in nothern Norway...
Appreciate 0