BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2023, 06:03 PM   #1
RolandMS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Slight Vibration at 45-50 mph and faster

Hello everyone,
I just recently purchased a 2007 X3 and I have a slight vibration issue that starts an about 45-50mph that gets slightly more pronounced when I let off the throttle. I was told by the previous owner that he had replaced the rear drive shaft and half axels. I replaced the front struts and drive shaft plus I have changed the oil, oil filter and air filter I also changed out the spark plugs and one of the spark coils since I was getting a cylinder misfire on number two cylinder. And since the transmission was showing signs of slipping and acting like a beginning driver starting out in the wrong gear I did a fluid change and boy did it need it it was a brownish red color and looked like it had never been changed the car has 158k miles. All those transmission issues went away and shifts smoothly. The magnet had just a little bit of normal gunk on it but the pan was very clean. I plan on changing the brake pads both front and back in a couple of weeks.
So back to the vibration issue, has anyone encountered this issue before and what was the solution? I can describe it as not like a drive shaft or wheel wobble but a steady interval that increases as you go faster and slightly more pronounced when you let off the gas. I have been doing my own mechanical work since I was first licensed in 1969 my dad was a aircraft mechanic for 27 years in the Navy and he had me working on cars with him since I was 8 years old. This problem has me stumped.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:27 PM   #2
Richneerd
The WEEBM3
Rep
Drives: E90 WEEBM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandMS View Post
Hello everyone,
I just recently purchased a 2007 X3 and I have a slight vibration issue that starts an about 45-50mph that gets slightly more pronounced when I let off the throttle. I was told by the previous owner that he had replaced the rear drive shaft and half axels. I replaced the front struts and drive shaft plus I have changed the oil, oil filter and air filter I also changed out the spark plugs and one of the spark coils since I was getting a cylinder misfire on number two cylinder. And since the transmission was showing signs of slipping and acting like a beginning driver starting out in the wrong gear I did a fluid change and boy did it need it it was a brownish red color and looked like it had never been changed the car has 158k miles. All those transmission issues went away and shifts smoothly. The magnet had just a little bit of normal gunk on it but the pan was very clean. I plan on changing the brake pads both front and back in a couple of weeks.
So back to the vibration issue, has anyone encountered this issue before and what was the solution? I can describe it as not like a drive shaft or wheel wobble but a steady interval that increases as you go faster and slightly more pronounced when you let off the gas. I have been doing my own mechanical work since I was first licensed in 1969 my dad was a aircraft mechanic for 27 years in the Navy and he had me working on cars with him since I was 8 years old. This problem has me stumped.
wheels, tires, suspension, steering wheel, look into those
      03-04-2024, 01:02 PM   #3
SEPPY
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si Automatic

A trailing arm bushing potentially.
Appreciate 0