BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #45
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
Just go to Jiffylube. They're good enough. It's not like they're going to be replacing a head gasket. Just ask them to show you the old filter when they're done. And watch to make sure they use synthetic.
I disagree totally with this recommendation. In my experience and opinion, none of those oil service joints should touch your BMW. Why risk it? Too many horror stories of poorly trained & indifferent staff at those places.
      04-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #46
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
I honestly wouldn't.

My son used to work for Jiffy Lube when he was in High School. I don't feel comfortable saying more.

I also doubt they will have synthetic that meets BMW's warranty requirements.
They do have Castrol 5w-30, and that's what you need. Look, as long as you're watching what they're doing it will be fine. You can always do a little research and find a local indy shop. But who's to say they're any better? Kinda hard to know who will screw you. Best bet is to go to your local BMW enthusiast forum and ask around there. Or just do it yourself. With the X3, it shouldn't be too hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #47
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
With the X3, it shouldn't be too hard.
It isn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #48
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs6655 View Post
It isn't.
Did you use a jack? I'm guessing you don't need one. If I could do it on my 328 without one, the X3 should be a cake walk.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #49
rs6655
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 X3 (MT)

Quote:
Did you use a jack? I'm guessing you don't need one. If I could do it on my 328 without one, the X3 should be a cake walk.
No jack. It's a little tricky getting the plug out with the drain pan under there but once it's loose the plug easily spins with one finger and I just let it drop into the drain pan.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #50
Palpak
Canada
Rep
Drives: WX53 - X3 xDrive28i

I'm a bit confused with these thread..... 4 year/80,000 Km Regular Maintenance (i.e Oil Change) is included in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #51
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

04-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #52
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpak View Post
I'm a bit confused with these thread..... 4 year/80,000 Km Regular Maintenance (i.e Oil Change) is included in Canada.
Yes, but BMW "regular maintenance" has service intervals longer than some of us want them to be - so we do an "extra" oil service at our own cost as we feel it is better for the vehicle, longer term. That particularly applies to the 1st oil change.
      04-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #53
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpak View Post
From the Old School Maintenance Schedule:

Quote:
BMW’s Free Scheduled Maintenance program means that BMW will perform scheduled maintenance free of charge during the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty period. Prior to the advent of BMW Free Scheduled Maintenance in the mid-1990s, approximate BMW maintenance recommendations were: automatic transmission fluid (ATF) and filter changes every 15,000 miles, manual gearbox and differential oil changes every 30,000 miles, annual brake fluid changes, and coolant changes every two years. Spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filters were typically replaced every 30,000 miles on most BMWs (this is a tune-up) except M cars up to 1995, which got new spark plugs and a valve adjustment every 15,000. Later advances in computer engine management and spark plug technology legitimately allow 60,000-mile spark plug life if not more.
Prior to Free Scheduled Maintenance, you couldn’t change engine oil often enough according to most dealerships. And when the car was in the shop it would often be due for this service or that inspection, all at the owner’s expense.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:36 AM   #54
ramosrj
Grendel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 3.0si

Hi folks, I'm a new member here. Just did oil/filter change on my wife's '07 X3 for the 1st time [myself] at 47k miles and it was very easy. I ended up buying the filter & a filter cover removal tool at eBay for less than $30 both.

Great forum and I look forward to participate more.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:54 AM   #55
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
If I plan to keep a vehicle for a long period of time, or if that is a possibility, I like to have a "break-in" oil change done. I recently had the X3 oil changed at 2100 miles. A little longer than I would have waited, but due to scheduling and such.

I'm probably just old school mentality, but even the most modern engine will have break-in wear, and I like to rid the crankcase of those tiny shavings. If you don't plan to keep your X3 longer than 5 years then this is probably not of any benefit (to you). Doing this really pays off much later in the engine's life.

I wish BMW would change their oil change monitoring system though. A friend had a great suggestion, that it should be monitoring viscocity - as that would be nearly fool proof. The method used is a calculation based on the number of gallons of fuel you have burned. The logic (which is good) is that this number also reflects driving style and conditions. So, folks who are easy on the gas, drive mostly highway, etc. are going to have a longer service interval. I used to know the actual formula for that calculation, but it is really not that important.

So, bottom line - if you feel more comfortable having a break-in service done then do it. If you are more optimistic and don't mind following the schedule... do that. Personal choice.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #56
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

These folks here convinced me to the same thing re an early non-scheduled oil change. Made sure they didn't reset the oil change clock. Afterward seemed like a good idea in that the cost seemed trivial to the sense that I'd done something to protect a car I intend to have for a long time. Might not be true, but my head was/is in a good place on it. Worth the cash.
      07-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #57
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

so you recommend earlier than scheduled oil changes, and say to go to jiffy lube? with high quality synthetics there should be no reason to change oil every 5k. Porsche doesnt even recommend more than every 20k miles. I guess if you dont like money thats fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #58
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I never suggested Jiffy Lube. If you look back, I argued strongly to follow the BMW recommendations. In the end, I fell to the argument that doing one early change allowed a purgevof break in sparvthat cost little and produced a potentially significant longevity bump. I don't have a lot of money, but I can absorb $200 on a nice meal on the weekend. With that I figured an extra oil change over the life of this car was doable.

I've no dislike for Porsche, but Porsche recommendations aren't something I consider gospel.

"If you don't like money . . .". Bite me.
      07-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #59
ismelllikepoop
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
I never suggested Jiffy Lube. If you look back, I argued strongly to follow the BMW recommendations. In the end, I fell to the argument that doing one early change allowed a purgevof break in sparvthat cost little and produced a potentially significant longevity bump. I don't have a lot of money, but I can absorb $200 on a nice meal on the weekend. With that I figured an extra oil change over the life of this car was doable.

I've no dislike for Porsche, but Porsche recommendations aren't something I consider gospel.

"If you don't like money . . .". Bite me.
i wasnt calling you out, but i guess you're pretty sensitive to the subject. anyways im saying that the argument is that bmw bean counters are trying to limit oil changes with the maintenance plan, but porsche doesnt have any stake in that and they still claim 20k per change. Mercedes has fairly long intervals as well. If it really was an issue, then they'd have a whole lot of unhappy customers due to inadequate oil changes. there isnt some global conspiracy by bmw to save a few bucks as several on here have implied.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:23 PM   #60
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
i wasnt calling you out, but i guess you're pretty sensitive to the subject. anyways im saying that the argument is that bmw bean counters are trying to limit oil changes with the maintenance plan, but porsche doesnt have any stake in that and they still claim 20k per change. Mercedes has fairly long intervals as well. If it really was an issue, then they'd have a whole lot of unhappy customers due to inadequate oil changes. there isnt some global conspiracy by bmw to save a few bucks as several on here have implied.
If you like to follow whatever BMW suggested, please do so......

I just don't mind spending some extra money to help protecting my car....

BTW, I'm not rich.....
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #61
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop View Post
Same argument I made before -- no conspiracy. Still believe that. Just decided the one early "purge" oil change made sense to me and was worth the gamble that it was a waste of money.
      07-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #62
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
These folks here convinced me to the same thing re an early non-scheduled oil change. Made sure they didn't reset the oil change clock. Afterward seemed like a good idea in that the cost seemed trivial to the sense that I'd done something to protect a car I intend to have for a long time. Might not be true, but my head was/is in a good place on it. Worth the cash.
After how many miles did you take your x3 in for the oil change? And also, what did you ask them exactly not to do to the oil change clock?

I plan on keeping our car for a while and also was planning to take it in for an oil change well before 15k miles but wasn't sure 1. when was the best time to do it and 2. what to do to not mess up with the normal schedule maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #63
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't recall the mileage. I didn't go based on a precise mileage, but more when I had time. It was somewhere around 3500 to 4000.

Not the right terminology, but told the I wanted it to be an extra oil change so not to reset the oil change reminder. Seemed to work.
      07-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #64
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

my mother has a LR4 and the maintenance manager recommended 7k oil change. Recommended from rover is 15k. because of irregular conditions. (weather and driving habits)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #65
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

I'm old school and paranoid as well. I just changed mine at 4400 miles.In the future I'll go every 7500miles. It's just when an engine is new that's when I imagine you get the most break-in wear. I know the synthetics will do 15k miles without problem, but I think it's simple physics: less friction means better performance and longer life.

Then again, this forum has me questioning everything.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #66
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yes - important to instruct them to NOT reset the interval clock. It is an extra change off-cycle. You still want the normal service to come up as scheduled.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0