BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Cracked / smashed foglight

Gutted!!

6 weeks old and discovered one of the foglight lenses smashed, the unit still works but was wondering if just the lense can be replaced or does it have to be the whole unit?

Would it be worth pursuing bmw under warranty or am I wasting my time, there is no damage to the bumper so I'm guessing a stone has hit it but likewise I would expect the lense to be stronger than it is.
      05-10-2014, 04:50 PM   #2
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

hey, theres a thread right below you about this. check the picture if it's similar to yours. same thing happened to me, gona try to get dealership to replace under warranty
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521941

i strongly believe that these units are defective/ too thin and thus being cracked easily
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #3
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014 View Post
Gutted!!

6 weeks old and discovered one of the foglight lenses smashed, the unit still works but was wondering if just the lense can be replaced or does it have to be the whole unit?

Would it be worth pursuing bmw under warranty or am I wasting my time, there is no damage to the bumper so I'm guessing a stone has hit it but likewise I would expect the lense to be stronger than it is.
Just had to have my 2011 X3 F25 30d Msport's left foglight changed. Hadn't seen the earlier thread so I assumed it must have been hit. Maybe not.

It cost £190. I think that I will ask the dealer to submit it as a warranty claim.

Roger
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Replacement unit with bulb cost £125, the partsman said the bulb alone is almost £40 but you cannot buy the unit without one.

Thankfully its an easy job to replace - took 5 minutes after dusting off the cobwebs of the user manual - see it does have its uses!!