BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

Steering feedback/very sensitive?

I have a 2012 X3 with the M-sport package and I think it drives fantastic but what I have noticed on the open highway is that the steering feels very sensitive. If I move the steering wheel very little the begins to move I guess you may say this suv has a very tight steering. My problem is that I always feel like I have to be correcting the steering constantly and can't enjoy the drive my wife says the same thing coming from her 3 series when she drives mine. Does anyone else get this sensation and is it something I need to get used to being this is a new vehicle? Also this is in normal mode would it change in sport?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I think I found the steering similar when first adjusting to the car, but hadn't described it exactly the same way. I found the steering lighter so it didn't have the same sense of being "locked onto a track" that I was used to from my 330i. For me, it was more this sense of lack of specific track than that it was actually going off track. That made me tend to tighten focus on the steering and I was more rigid than needed and sometimes put in unneeded corrections. As I got used to it, I loosened up, stopped putting in the extra inputs, and got familiar with the new feel and now find it as precise as the previous cars -- the feel is still not the same, but it works well for me.

Now, the above was not on any roads that offered "tram lining" possibilities. If you've got that going on, that's a whole different deal. But if you other 3 doesn't experience tram lining, that's probably not what's happening with the F25.
      03-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Check your tire pressures as step 1. It could be the pressures are set too high. Do the usual check with a proper tire pressure gauge when the tires are cold.

Step 2 check to see if there's any unusual wear across all four tires. The X3 runs a lot of negative camber so expect to see feathering on the inner edges of the tires, but if you see some other pattern get the dealer to check your alignment, particularly toe-in and castor.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

I've got a 2012 28i and have the same experience. I feel like I've got to constantly correct the steering when driving on the highway. I'm chalking it up to this being my first experience with electronic steering.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

My friend who bought an X3 with M package is super dissapointed in the steering. Do all X3s have this steering or only those with the M package?

I hear it is not good on the 5 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Found that the tire brand makes a lot of difference in the steering feel with the F25. Also if it's really bad have the wheel alignement checked.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

I find the steering very light in Normal mode but it tightens up nicely in Sport. I have thought about configuring it to always be tight. This is with Variable Sport Steering.