BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Dynamic Handling Package

The Dynamic Handling Package is a $1400 option with the 28i.

If one chooses The M Sport Package- per the 2013 brochure from the BMW dealer- it includes:
Variable Sport Steering
Dynamic Damping Control
Performance Control

Per the BMW website, The Dynamic Handling Package includes:
Variable Sport Steering
Performance Control

Therefore, I thought that by choosing The M Sport Package it includes The Dynamic Handling Package. One person says that's true, and another person says I still need to purchase the $1400 option to receive all the advantages of The Dynamic Handling Package.

Edmunds describes The Dynamic Handling Package as including:
Variable Sport Steering
Dynamic Damping Control
Performance Control

Dynamic Stability Control
Driving Dynamics Control Selector

If the second person is correct and one needs to spend the extra $1400 what exactly is one buying? If there are some extras coming with the $1400 it certainly seems like that one has to double pay for certain features- that makes no sense! This is as clear as mud.

Does "The Sports Suspension Delete" when choosing The M Sport Package relate to The Dynamic Handling Package option?

If someone can clear this up it would be most appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Sure it's been discuss a bunch of times but....

If you want dynamic dampers you need to spend the extra $1400.

The only component common between the Dynamic Handling Package and the Msport is the performance control.

There is no credit for performance control if you buy both packages.
      10-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

lbjgh is right -- you need to spend the $1400 to get all the features of DHP. And yes, you want DHP. It makes a huge difference in the car's handling and the quality of the ride.

I have it on my 35i. I was given a 28i loaner this morning that does not have DHP. By the time I got to work, I was ready to trade the car in! DHP adds a subtle quality to the ride, but it is a quality that is a complete bargain at $1400.

On a side note, the N20 engine in the 28i is very impressive. It doesn't have the off the line grunt that the 35i has, but it provides reasonable torque and works very well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
mr. zero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 MG/CR M240i Conv 6M

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
Actually, if according to the 2013 pricing guide, if you order the M Sport package, the DHP is $100 cheaper @ $1300.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
lbjgh is right -- you need to spend the $1400 to get all the features of DHP. And yes, you want DHP. It makes a huge difference in the car's handling and the quality of the ride.

I have it on my 35i. I was given a 28i loaner this morning that does not have DHP. By the time I got to work, I was ready to trade the car in! DHP adds a subtle quality to the ride, but it is a quality that is a complete bargain at $1400.

On a side note, the N20 engine in the 28i is very impressive. It doesn't have the off the line grunt that the 35i has, but it provides reasonable torque and works very well.
Can you describe the "subtle quality of the ride" DHP adds in greater detail? What do the Dynamic Dampers do? Thanks again.

I don't know if it's deception or carelessness on BMW's part, but I've never seen a more confusing package option for a car in my entire life. I called BMW's customer support and the woman was clueless. She said I should speak to a salesperson at the dealer about this- the sales people all describe this different ways!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. zero View Post
Actually, if according to the 2013 pricing guide, if you order the M Sport package, the DHP is $100 cheaper @ $1300.
Good to hear, but without knowing what the distinction is first I thought there should be a more dramatic discount. I'm a marketing guy and BMW absolutely dropped the ball on this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Bmwlvr60, I have to agree with your assessment of the various packages offered by BMW and their customer support when you call them.

I think it's BMW's way to force customers into ordering every package for the fear of missing the 'actual' options they want.

The manufacturer's website has got to be one of the worst in the automotive biz... it's a good thing the forums exist.
      10-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Can you describe the "subtle quality of the ride" DHP adds in greater detail? What do the Dynamic Dampers do? Thanks again.

I don't know if it's deception or carelessness on BMW's part, but I've never seen a more confusing package option for a car in my entire life. I called BMW's customer support and the woman was clueless. She said I should speak to a salesperson at the dealer about this- the sales people all describe this different ways!
Well, judging ride quality is subjective, of course. I think the best way to describe it is you get three levels of refinement. Comfort gives a nice, compliant ride and easy steering. Sport gives a firmer ride, stiffer steering and higher throttle and shift points. Sport+ turns the car into a beast and everything gets much more aggressive. IMO, you just get a more stable, solid, but not jarring ride and you can select the mode depending on your preference and the road and driving conditions. Non-DHP is certainly a decent ride, but you get one setting that is somewhat firm. There are many on this board that prefer non-DHP and for good reason -- BMW has done a fabulous job of making the X3's ride one of the best in the business. DHP just adds more choice, more versatility and that little 'extra' when it comes to ride quality. I like to drive in Sport and my wife likes the ride in Comfort -- we can both be happy!

I agree with others that the marketing of this feature is really poorly done. It needs to be much more clear to buyers what the option is, what you get and why you would want it. I was able to test drive cars with and without the option, so making that comparison made the choice easier.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Sport Suspension Delete removes the sport suspension and makes the ride a bit soft (not bad, but not sporty). You should add DHP if you want a sporty ride. In Sport and Sport+, the car comes alive.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, judging ride quality is subjective, of course. I think the best way to describe it is you get three levels of refinement. Comfort gives a nice, compliant ride and easy steering. Sport gives a firmer ride, stiffer steering and higher throttle and shift points. Sport+ turns the car into a beast and everything gets much more aggressive. IMO, you just get a more stable, solid, but not jarring ride and you can select the mode depending on your preference and the road and driving conditions. Non-DHP is certainly a decent ride, but you get one setting that is somewhat firm. There are many on this board that prefer non-DHP and for good reason -- BMW has done a fabulous job of making the X3's ride one of the best in the business. DHP just adds more choice, more versatility and that little 'extra' when it comes to ride quality. I like to drive in Sport and my wife likes the ride in Comfort -- we can both be happy!

I agree with others that the marketing of this feature is really poorly done. It needs to be much more clear to buyers what the option is, what you get and why you would want it. I was able to test drive cars with and without the option, so making that comparison made the choice easier.
Excellent explanation! I didn't even know that DHP gives 3 settings and non- DHP gives 1 setting. Thanks so much.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
Sport Suspension Delete removes the sport suspension and makes the ride a bit soft (not bad, but not sporty). You should add DHP if you want a sporty ride. In Sport and Sport+, the car comes alive.
Thanks, but this makes no sense. The M Sport Package is supposed to give a sportier ride. You're saying that The M Sport Package gives a softer ride than the non- M Sport versions? They delete the Sport Suspension in The M Sport Package? Does this makes sense to anyone? I thought this meant that it was replaced with something sportier.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Excellent explanation! I didn't even know that DHP gives 3 settings and non- DHP gives 1 setting. Thanks so much.
You're welcome. I just need to clear up one point. You still can select Eco-Pro, Comfort and Sport in a non-DHP X3. The settings will only change the throttle response and transmission shift points -- the ride quality will not change. You'll need DHP to be able to experience changes in the ride quality, too. I know, BMW makes it so clear!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
You're welcome. I just need to clear up one point. You still can select Eco-Pro, Comfort and Sport in a non-DHP X3. The settings will only change the throttle response and transmission shift points -- the ride quality will not change. You'll need DHP to be able to experience changes in the ride quality, too. I know, BMW makes it so clear!
There are only 2 presets for suspension. Sport+ is the same as Sport with respect to suspension firmness and throttle. All Sport+ does is to turn off DSC

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Right. I forget that I have my sport setting set to chassis only, so when I go to sport+, the car really wakes up! I call it 'Snarling Beast' mode. Eco-Pro is referred to as 'Prius' mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

this seems unecessarily complex - but reading everything here i would go for the DHP option. At the very least, you have all variations of ability in your suspension and aren't wondering if it is "too hard or too soft."
      10-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

hmm, I have sport mode set to drivetrain only because all roads are flat and straight where I live. ... if I find a corner I switch to sport+ to have some fun.

... it's the beauty of the system being able to mix and match settings to the conditions and driving preferences.

Quote:
Right. I forget that I have my sport setting set to chassis only, so when I go to sport+, the car really wakes up! I call it 'Snarling Beast' mode. Eco-Pro is referred to as 'Prius' mode.

Last edited by lbjgh; 10-17-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #17
Stephen H
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport Alpine White

Quote:

+1
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #18
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #19
Arthuar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330xd 2007

Good morning, I know the thread is almost slept..though I give a try.
Trust me, read everyone related thread, about this fantomatic Dynamic Handling Package.
I'm going to purchase and old BMW X3 E83 manual 3.0D 218 CV, and it's been mounted with the 7RR DHP, the Hydro servo steering and suspension sport settings.
Then, I have no Sport button at all, so to be likely guessed..what this car has got with the DHP?.. really I I'm not able to understand.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #20
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthuar View Post
Good morning, I know the thread is almost slept..though I give a try.
Trust me, read everyone related thread, about this fantomatic Dynamic Handling Package.
I'm going to purchase and old BMW X3 E83 manual 3.0D 218 CV, and it's been mounted with the 7RR DHP, the Hydro servo steering and suspension sport settings.
Then, I have no Sport button at all, so to be likely guessed..what this car has got with the DHP?.. really I I'm not able to understand.

Cheers.
I really don't understand your question(something maybe lost in translation), but I can speak to the F25 since mine has DHP, I don't know about the E83. For the F25, AFAIK, the only way to enable/disable it is via the sport button. The telltale sign it has DHP is wires going into the dampers.

The The Dynamic Handling Package for the F25 has:
  • Performance Control
  • Electronic Damping Control
  • Variable Sport Steering
Maybe ask your question in the E83 forum where there are discussions for the model vehicle you're asking about
Appreciate 1
Arthuar10.00
      03-21-2022, 03:16 AM   #21
Arthuar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330xd 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
I really don't understand your question(something maybe lost in translation), but I can speak to the F25 since mine has DHP, I don't know about the E83. For the F25, AFAIK, the only way to enable/disable it is via the sport button. The telltale sign it has DHP is wires going into the dampers.

The The Dynamic Handling Package for the F25 has:
  • Performance Control
  • Electronic Damping Control
  • Variable Sport Steering
Maybe ask your question in the E83 forum where there are discussions for the model vehicle you're asking about
Thanks for your answer, no translation there, just me typing on the wrong keyboard.
Even more I dropped the question on the thread dedicated to th F25 version..mine is the previous one, the E83.
Sorry for the wasted dull time.
Appreciate 0