BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

Best Tire Inflator/Goop Kit

At 34K miles the original Goodyears are geting near the wear bar and the outside tread of the front right tire is starting to delaminate from the tire, perhaps an alignment problem?
I'm going to go with NRF's, Michelin Primary MXM4 100H. I see that BMW has a tire kit that costs $150 and I know there are cheaper ones. What do you recommend with an effective pump and goop that won't trash the pressure reading system?
BTW, the local BMW place won't install NRF's.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

This has been discussed before and general opinion seem to be that any 12v compressor and slime/sealant will do the job. Most manufacturers claim their sealant will not have an impact on valves/sensors- I tend to believe them.

I have kit from Amazon.UK - never used.

For your INFO -in Germany RFT:s are optional.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
This has been discussed before and general opinion seem to be that any 12v compressor and slime/sealant will do the job. Most manufacturers claim their sealant will not have an impact on valves/sensors- I tend to believe them.

I have kit from Amazon.UK - never used.

For your INFO -in Germany RFT:s are optional.
Yeah.... let's have this thread start all over again, one month later. NOT...

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1262697

Last edited by Lotus99; 07-12-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 12:05 AM   #4
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsCruiser View Post
At 34K miles the original Goodyears are geting near the wear bar and the outside tread of the front right tire is starting to delaminate from the tire, perhaps an alignment problem?
I'm going to go with NRF's, Michelin Primary MXM4 100H. I see that BMW has a tire kit that costs $150 and I know there are cheaper ones. What do you recommend with an effective pump and goop that won't trash the pressure reading system?
BTW, the local BMW place won't install NRF's.
I would check amazon for a Dynaplug tire repair kit. They sell a compressor to go along with the product. Or Tire Rack for the Continental compressor/goop package. I bought the factory BMW kit myself for my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

I bought the continental sealant kit from Amazon UK. In addition I bought a tyre plug kit which comes with the plug tool, reamer and patches.
The plan is to try it on my sons old wheel (spare original)
      07-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i bought a kit from tirerack when i purchased DWS06 tires, pump and sealant all in one.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:56 PM   #7
HighPlainsCruiser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 XDrive35i

The noise reduction with these Michelins is very noticeable. Over all it feels like you are driving on butter compared to wooden boards with the Goodyears. I've got an Amazon Slime kit which hopefully will never be tested.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
I bought the continental sealant kit from Amazon UK. In addition I bought a tyre plug kit which comes with the plug tool, reamer and patches.
The plan is to try it on my sons old wheel (spare original)
I have done just the same. I bought mine from Care4car.com for delivery tomorrow.
http://www.care4car.com/tyre-accesso...l#.V5idN_krLCM

After a lot of deliberation I have decided to move from RUN FLATS to 4 NON Run Flat tyres after suffering a cut tyre (middle of tread) near West Wycombe Park.

No large chain would repair it near High Wycombe, although I did find a small dealer within a mile of the Park who said he would do it if it had been a nail, but when we looked closer it was a large cut.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I have the BMW mobility kit, which is nicely packaged and has a powerful compressor. It is nice, but a nice price too!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I have done just the same. I bought mine from Care4car.com for delivery tomorrow.
http://www.care4car.com/tyre-accesso...l#.V5idN_krLCM

After a lot of deliberation I have decided to move from RUN FLATS to 4 NON Run Flat tyres after suffering a cut tyre (middle of tread) near West Wycombe Park.

No large chain would repair it near High Wycombe, although I did find a small dealer within a mile of the Park who said he would do it if it had been a nail, but when we looked closer it was a large cut.
Peter - I am now in the same situation as you .....2 miles from home, and front offside has lost pressure.
Got home and pumped it up - definitely a puncture. Rang ProTyre in Slough and they offered to look at it. It has something resembling a razor blade stuck in the tyre. Can't be fixed they say.

So all 4 tyres are runflats with 4mm tread.

Rang BMW Maidenhead, and spoke to the tyre technician, he was a great guy and said the following
1. 4mm tread means I'm right on the limit of putting 2 new front tyres on with 8mm tread. He recommended I change all 4.
2. I asked if I would invalidate my warranty if I changed to non runflats, and he said no it wouldn't as long as I stuck with Pirelli,Bridgestone,continental (basically a premium tyre brand) , and not in his words some cheap tyres.

I have a tyre repair kit at home, and am going to try and repair the tyre now at home (after my cup of tea). My thinking is I may as well try to repair it and learn along the way. Even if I make a total hash of it, well the tyres are going to be replaced anyway.
The cost will be offset somewhat by my selling the 3 part worn runflats at 4mm tread.

So Peter, which make tyres did you go for and are you pleased with them?
      08-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

I suppose the risk with a blade cut is that the leak grows after being plugged. You could always buy 1x ( at about 4mm) rather than sell 3x I guess. Don't much like the idea of 2nd hand tyres from unknown source - we should set up a clearing house for X3 tyres
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #12
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I very much like the idea of a tyre depot just amongst us :-)
      08-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

So Peter, which make tyres did you go for and are you pleased with them?
I went to Black Circles and purchased the following which includes all fitment and disposal of old tyres and nothing else to pay. I have copied from the order:

2 x Pirelli P Zero Rosso (BMW) 245/45 R19 Y (98), Asymmetrical (Fronts)
2 x Pirelli P Zero Rosso (BMW) 275/40 R19 Y (101), Asymmetrical (Rears)

Price: £661.06

They sent them to ATS Euromaster Oxford and fitted on Friday.

I was really pleased with the fitting by ATS. The service was excellent.

I went for BMW * rated NON RFT by Pirelli because that is the same tyre the car came with except the originals were RFT tyres. We have not been very far on them, but the ride is far better. Smoother and less bouncing around. It was not until I drove on the back roads around the villages that I appreciated the difference with no tram-lining or wandering around. Because I feel confident with them, and find I am driving quicker.

I did originally order the following:

2 x Dunlop SP Sport 01A (BMW) 245/45 R19 Y (98)
2 x Dunlop SP Sport 01A (BMW) 275/40 R19 Y (101)

Price: £626.22

I had second thoughts and changed the order to the Pirellis when they (Black Circles) said there was a delivery problem. I am glad I did.

BMW Oxford said they could supply the above also at £200 more.

Note. My old tyres had between 3 and 4 mm of tread left and after discussions with BMW, Black Circles and ATS, the consensus was to change all 4. My puncture was on the rear passenger side and it appeared to have been cut by a piece of metal. I could push a screwdriver into the hole.

I hope this helps
Appreciate 1
Harroldv125.00
      08-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update: the blade turned out to be a hole, and not a long slit

Well the good news is I fixed the puncture myself, at home with a £7 puncture repair kit.
1. Removed the metal blade ( was a small hole in reality)
2. Use the reamer to clean and expand the hole
3. Thread the liquorice like patch onto the needle like tool
4. Push firmly into the hole, and twist the tool back out leaving the liquorice in place
5. Left it alone for 5 mins
6. Cut off the access with a sharp Stanley blade
7. Inflate to 32psi and check repair with water (no bubbles)
8. Go for a very satisfying blast down some A roads to "test"

Having seen how easy it is to do, I will keep that kit in the car, alongside my compressor and also buy the gunk sealant. The plan is to move across to non runflats when these tyres reach 2mm.

Peter : as always thanks for the information regarding those Pirelli non run flat tyres. I think I will also source those and see if ProTyre can price match. Otherwise I will take a trip to ATS Oxford . Quality workmanship is more important to me.
      08-03-2016, 05:17 PM   #15
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

@Pinewood

1. Pleased to see you are sorted out. Which £7 repair kit is it? Do you have a link?

2. When you purchase tyres from Black Circles, they ask you which garage they should deliver for the free fitting. I used ATS next to the BMW factory because I had heard they were very good. You might have one as good close to your home.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #16
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

@Peter_R

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could you also post the address of the ATS branch you used, or PM me please.

Last edited by Pinewood; 08-04-2016 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:58 AM   #17
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

@Pinewood

Quote:
@Peter_R

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could you also post the address of the ATS branch you used, or PM me please.
1. Thanks for the link. It might have saved me a lot of hassle if I was in possession of one of those kits last week. Perhaps not, because when I put my Halfords compressor on the tyre (whilst on the car) I could hear the air coming out above the noise of the engine running. When I got home and took the wheel off I could put a screw driver in through the hole. I have a set of 18" winter tyres, so I was able to use one as a spare.

2. ATS Euromaster Ltd  
Address: 1 Horspath Rd, Oxford OX4 2RS (Alert. Google mistake, it is 3 Pony Road.. at least that is where I went )
Phone:01865 777675
Hours: Open today · 8:30am–5:30pm
Website

http://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/centres/oxford-retail

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...4&rlfi=hd:;si:

The manager's name is Alan. Nice chap and very obliging. I was so impressed with them that I used ATS main site to fill in a contact form and praise their work and the cleanliness of the workshop. I have never seen such a clean tyre workshop in my life. You need to make an appointment if going there for any fitting. This appointment is made by Black Circles who factor in the time of the delivery and organise everything. The invoice even stipulates the time of day. They say it takes 2 hours, but I found 1 hour was all that was needed. You have to do nothing except pay your money at home by credit card and liaise with the Black Circles help desk for timing. The invoice even shows time and date and and sometime or other, you are told NOT to forget the wheel locking nut. The whole thing as the meerkats say is "simples".

Note 1. There are two ATS garages shown in google in Oxford. The one you will need is 3 Pony Road marked on the map and adjacent to the BMW Mini plant.

Note 2. The manager advises that Black Circles is owned by Michelin. I cannot confirm or deny this. I do know that the Michelin tyres were a lot more expensive from Black Circles.

Last edited by Peter_R; 08-04-2016 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 04:43 AM   #18
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Peter_R

"I went for BMW * rated NON RFT by Pirelli because that is the same tyre the car came with except the originals were RFT tyres. We have not been very far on them, but the ride is far better. Smoother and less bouncing around. It was not until I drove on the back roads around the villages that I appreciated the difference with no tram-lining or wandering around. Because I feel confident with them, and find I am driving quicker"

how are the Pirelli Rosso's doing now and what are your thoughts regarding road noise and comfort?
      10-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #19
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Peter_R

"I went for BMW * rated NON RFT by Pirelli because that is the same tyre the car came with except the originals were RFT tyres. We have not been very far on them, but the ride is far better. Smoother and less bouncing around. It was not until I drove on the back roads around the villages that I appreciated the difference with no tram-lining or wandering around. Because I feel confident with them, and find I am driving quicker"

how are the Pirelli Rosso's doing now and what are your thoughts regarding road noise and comfort?
@Pinewood
I have the same tyres as you do. Exactly the same!

My experience is the same. I am driving quicker everywhere because I am more confident with the car not tram-ling nor bouncing around. Note. My fuel consumption has taken a very small hit because of my more spirited driving.

They are quieter and comfortable. More than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 05:44 AM   #20
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

i havnen't changed over to Rosso's yet Peter - but appreciate your view on them. Hoping to fit winter tyres shortly, and then the summer/rosso combination in April 2017