BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-10-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

SHADY SERVICE CENTER or FORGETFUL EMPLOYEE??

I did have a long write up on my situation but decided it's too long of a read. If you want the full story just let me know and I will post it.

So in short when going to the service center for their free 4 year service how do you know they actually changed your oil? Or replaced your wiper blades or do what is actually stated on the invoice you are signing/paying for.

I say this because I asked for a tire rotation which was paid on my dime and that wasn't done! I noticed when inspecting my car during pickup as I number my rims! Had to go back and advise the SA! Afterwards rotation completed.

After leaving I inspected the wipers. NOW, Wiper are not replaced anymore but the blade inserts are now replaced. Upon inspection I think they too weren't replaced! I should have put a tiny cut marking in the blade inserts but forgot to before going to service center. They were pretty filthy when running your finger over them but they still cleaned the windshield well. But I only drive 6k miles in one year! Spoke with service manager and he assured me they were replaced and the grayish dirt marks on the wipers and blades are due to the graphite coatings that help the blades glide over the windshield.

I do have a dash cam set up which records once power is sent to the cigarette power outlet. So once the door is unlocked or opened the camera records immediately. Dash cam battery last about 10-20mins after power outlet is cut off. I can see the mechanic replacing the oil filter but the power cut off before I saw him adding oil or changing the wiper blades. I'm sure he added new oil as the car drove home fine (~50 mile one way) and oil level marked was full.

But if he were to change the wiper blades then he would need to get open the door which would send power to the dash cam and pull up on the wiper stalk to force the wiper arms to point up. Next clip shows hood closed and mechanic pulling car out of lift and driving to deliver me the car.

Annoyed at this point as I would have been charged $83 for tire rotation not done but I noticed before leaving! I believe the wipers blades weren't changed but don't have any real evidence. It seems petty as its only wiper blades but just annoyed as the trust factor isn't there anymore. Can anyone shed any light on these wiper blades and if they are coated with graphite?? Otherwise I'll go buy a set from the bmw parts department closer to me with crappy service to see how "clean" these new inserts really are from the package. I'm sure to the average non enthusiast they wouldn't care and get ripped off.

At this point I will also drain alittle of the oil to see if he put new oil in my car too.

All just seems shady to me. Out of the 3 items supposed to be done only 1 was completed.... The other completed after I pointed it to the advisor and I question the third!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
which service center did you go to?

it couldve been tech working on your car
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
guyver626
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 35i m-sport carbon black

I don't believe it's the dealership that is bad just that employee. I will message you
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 06:31 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
next time avoid that tech, keep all paperwork
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

This is why I go to my INDY, dude changes the oil and filter right in front of me. Gets that oil siphon vacuum machine, siphons the oil out, changes the oil filter and puts new oil in. In and out in probably 20-30 mins.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
This is why I go to my INDY, dude changes the oil and filter right in front of me. Gets that oil siphon vacuum machine, siphons the oil out, changes the oil filter and puts new oil in. In and out in probably 20-30 mins.
How does the oil siphon machine work? I have never seen one of those before. So you are saying they don't have to go underneath and open the oil drain plug?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
How does the oil siphon machine work? I have never seen one of those before. So you are saying they don't have to go underneath and open the oil drain plug?
The machine is run by a compressor, similar to liposuction or vacuum cleaner, I would assume. The siphon machine has a big tank and long tubing like a vaccum. The end point is put in where you could fill the car with new oil (the square cover on the engine cover). and it syphons old oil until no more can be seen going through the plastic tubing.
Appreciate 0