BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #2157
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post
usually, maybe. I have test drove also q5 and evoque - somehow door plastics did not cought my attention. I understand this is what was implied by the person who wrote about the quality - it was not an issue for me, so I wanted to understand how the other person perceived 'lower quality'
I doubt it's much of an issue for most people really. You get a warped view on forums but most owners will never go near a forum.

I don't think it should necessarily look premium or luxurious inside in any case. It's not a saloon or a Range Rover and the base model is only about £32k. You have to pay more than a 3 series because it's an xDrive and it's bigger. When you factor that in, the base model is not really in the premium price bracket (hence why some options like xenons and electric seats aren't standard). What gives it a premium price tag is adding £10k worth of options and £6k for a faster engine. If you want to spend that money and get more of a premium feel inside, then perhaps buy an X5 instead.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #2158
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I doubt it's much of an issue for most people really. You get a warped view on forums but most owners will never go near a forum.

I don't think it should necessarily look premium or luxurious inside in any case. It's not a saloon or a Range Rover and the base model is only about £32k. You have to pay more than a 3 series because it's an xDrive and it's bigger. When you factor that in, the base model is not really in the premium price bracket (hence why some options like xenons and electric seats aren't standard). What gives it a premium price tag is adding £10k worth of options and £6k for a faster engine. If you want to spend that money and get more of a premium feel inside, then perhaps buy an X5 instead.
Thats a fair point regarding comparison to the 3 series, however BMW is perceived as a premium brand so I don't think its unrealistic to expect an premium feel inside all of their products regardless of options selected.

Completely agree its not a Range Rover so we shouldn't be expecting equivalent interiors however I believe that models lower down the BMW range carry off premium interiors quite well so surely the X3 shouldn't be an exception?

In the main I don't think interior is terrible however its let down by quality of certain plastics (door, stalks etc), the seats (non sport) and the perceived build quality (clicks and rattles).
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #2159
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Thats a fair point regarding comparison to the 3 series, however BMW is perceived as a premium brand so I don't think its unrealistic to expect an premium feel inside all of their products regardless of options selected.

Completely agree its not a Range Rover so we shouldn't be expecting equivalent interiors however I believe that models lower down the BMW range carry off premium interiors quite well so surely the X3 shouldn't be an exception?

In the main I don't think interior is terrible however its let down by quality of certain plastics (door, stalks etc), the seats (non sport) and the perceived build quality (clicks and rattles).
True, it should be at least as good as the 3 series really. I haven't sat in a new 3 series so I'm not in a position to say how far off it is.

Another view is that it's supposed to be a bit more rough and ready and rugged because it's a 4-wheel drive designed for (very gentle!) offroading. This might explain the thinking on the door plastics. More sturdy than style But perhaps it's all just cost saving from BMW and function doesn't come into it.

One thing I would say on the build quality is that much of it is down to poor QA. Not every car has rattles. They shouldn't have any rattles. Mine doesn't rattle *. It's all relative and the sound of the door closing puts the build quality up a notch on my last car (Golf GTI).

Are the stalks really different between other F series models? Maybe it's new recyclable materials across the range?

* I actually introduced an annoying intermittent rattle next to the CIC but that was entirely my fault and I should be able to fix it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #2160
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Well, another one ordered today so feeling a bit apprehensive having spent so much money. Been thinking about ordering a new X3 to replace my E83 for a while, so bit the bullet and ordered the following

xDrive 20d M Sport (Manual)
Black Sapphire
Black Nevada Leather

19" Double spoke wheels
Powered bootlid operation
Windscreen with grey shade band
Panoramic glass sunroof
Sun protection glass
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Extended storage
Seat heating, front
Brushed aluminium trim
Instrument panel embellishers, black
Xenon headlights
DAB digital radio
Loudspeaker system - BMW professional
Bluetooth hands free with USB audio interface

Have a question on the Bluetooth option, so I've raised a separate thread about that.

Was quoted a delivery date of 07/10/2012, so just over two months which doesn't sound too bad to me. Now just got to sit back and hope that I've got the specification right.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #2161
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Well, another one ordered today so feeling a bit apprehensive having spent so much money. Been thinking about ordering a new X3 to replace my E83 for a while, so bit the bullet and ordered the following

xDrive 20d M Sport (Manual)
Black Sapphire
Black Nevada Leather

19" Double spoke wheels
Powered bootlid operation
Windscreen with grey shade band
Panoramic glass sunroof
Sun protection glass
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Extended storage
Seat heating, front
Brushed aluminium trim
Instrument panel embellishers, black
Xenon headlights
DAB digital radio
Loudspeaker system - BMW professional
Bluetooth hands free with USB audio interface

Have a question on the Bluetooth option, so I've raised a separate thread about that.

Was quoted a delivery date of 07/10/2012, so just over two months which doesn't sound too bad to me. Now just got to sit back and hope that I've got the specification right.
Sure you don't want to go for the auto?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #2162
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
Sure you don't want to go for the auto?
Absolutely, I know it's a good auto box, but I always get bored with automatics after a few weeks. I recently hired a mercedes GLK350 in Canada and whilst it was a really nice car with an auto box which seemed well suited to the engine, I really enjoyed getting back in my current X3 when I got back (which, as I'm sure you've guessed, is a manual).

I'm sure it seems unusual these days, but I'll always go for the manual version of any car as long as its still offered. Suppose that's what makes us all different.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #2163
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Absolutely, I know it's a good auto box, but I always get bored with automatics after a few weeks. I recently hired a mercedes GLK350 in Canada and whilst it was a really nice car with an auto box which seemed well suited to the engine, I really enjoyed getting back in my current X3 when I got back (which, as I'm sure you've guessed, is a manual).

I'm sure it seems unusual these days, but I'll always go for the manual version of any car as long as its still offered. Suppose that's what makes us all different.
I'm sure resale value will be affected if you choose manual, by how much I don't know. I prefer driving a manual car, but with higher levels of traffic congestion in my area I wouldn't get enough clear road to enjoy it + the 30d I have on order doesn't have the option for manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #2164
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Quote:

Have you tried the 8 speed Bmw auto ?, it offers the option of a semi-auto change if you enjoy playing with the gear lever.
You have chosen a high spec car on the 2.0d version. I think that when you come to sell the car this will limit its resale value. I speak from experience, I also liked manual cars and ordered a 5 series with it. Had very hard job selling it and that was 10 years ago. Ok you might argue that was a different type of car but more recently BMW have changed the options to reduce the availability of manual gearboxes to the base models, the X3 3.0d and 3.5d don't even offer the option. I think that this is mainly due to emmission regulations and the increased road congestion which makes the auto more attractive.
I would imagine that eventually the manual gearboxes are likely to be phased out across the range apart from the M cars.
Most BMW buyers and dealers will want to see an auto on such a high spec car.

But in the end its your money and your choice.

Are you sure that you want 19" wheels ?(and the low profile tyres that go with them). Yes they look nice but they tend to give a poor ride quality when combined with the sports suspension. I speak from experience- my previous BMW was a 335d coupe which had 19" wheels. I purchased a dealer registered car which had them on and would not recommend them. They ride really well on nice smooth tarmac but on anything else you need to avoid potholes,cats eyes and cracks in the road. Both the rear rims cracked- not due to any kerbing or damage to the rims but general wear of the rim and suspension combination. BMW recognised this and replaced them under a goodwill claim after 5 years use.
I have the 18" alloys which ride and handle really well.

I have the panoramic sunroof and can say that you will really enjoy this.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #2165
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post
Have you tried the 8 speed Bmw auto ?, it offers the option of a semi-auto change if you enjoy playing with the gear lever.
You have chosen a high spec car on the 2.0d version. I think that when you come to sell the car this will limit its resale value. I speak from experience, I also liked manual cars and ordered a 5 series with it. Had very hard job selling it and that was 10 years ago. Ok you might argue that was a different type of car but more recently BMW have changed the options to reduce the availability of manual gearboxes to the base models, the X3 3.0d and 3.5d don't even offer the option. I think that this is mainly due to emmission regulations and the increased road congestion which makes the auto more attractive.
I would imagine that eventually the manual gearboxes are likely to be phased out across the range apart from the M cars.

Are you sure that you want 19" wheels ?(and the low profile tyres that go with them). Yes they look nice but they tend to give a poor ride quality when combined with the sports suspension. I speak from experience- my previous BMW was a 335d coupe which had 19" wheels. I purchased a dealer registered car which had them on and would not recommend them. They ride really well on nice smooth tarmac but on anything else you need to avoid potholes,cats eyes and cracks in the road. Both the rear rims cracked- not due to any kerbing or damage to the rims but general wear of the rim and suspension combination. BMW recognised this and replaced them under a goodwill claim after 5 years use.

sorry to interupt, just wanted to tell that I totaly agree with the above on the automatic gearbox.

do not agree on the suspension/tyre comments - 19in comes with quite high sidewall:
- 245/50/18 gives you 122.5 mm hight of the sidewall.
- 245/45/19 would give you 110.25 mm sidewall (1 cm or half an inch approx lower profile).

of course there would be a difference, but it would be more noticable dependand on the particular tyre model or suspension chosen - one can specify it either with or without sport suspension (even with the M Package - I did the same, but went for DDC option as well).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #2166
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Cropwell, thanks for taking the time to write that; appreciate your input.

In answer to your queston, I haven't tried the auto box, but I'm having a drive next weekend. However, I don't expect to be tempted as I just love manual gearboxes and get bored with automatics after a few months. By way of background information, I bought a DCT equipped (twin clutch, flappy paddle) M3 in 2008 when they first came out. At first, I loved the thing - the auto mode was nice and smooth, in manual mode it was far better than I am at changing gear, and it made the most of the engine's consderable power. However, after a few months I started to have doubts, and after a year I grew to really dislike the gearbox. The last straw came when I drove a friends 320d, complete with gearstick and clutch pedal, and loved the process of changing gear. A few weeks later a manual M3 had been ordered , and a trade in agreed on the DCT car. Still have my M3 and wouldn't change to DCT for the world. All the other people on the M3 forums rave about DCT and the like, so I just have to accept that I'm some sort of luddite.

I know I'm going to lose money by not getting the auto, but I'm buying the car for me, not the next owner. Suppose it's the price we have to pay for being enthusiasts.

On the wheels, my current E83 has sport suspension and 19" wheels which, according to the press, should shake my fillings out at the very thought of a bump in the road. Sure, it's a bit 'knobbly' at times, but the payback is excellent handling for a 4x4. As long as the new car isn't any harder riding, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Like I say, I'm test driving a car at the weekend, so if need be I can change the spec (have another couple of weeks according to the dealer) so let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #2167
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropwell View Post

sorry to interupt, just wanted to tell that I totaly agree with the above on the automatic gearbox.

do not agree on the suspension/tyre comments - 19in comes with quite high sidewall:
- 245/45/19 would give you 110.25 mm sidewall (1 cm or half an inch approx lower profile).

of course there would be a difference, but it would be more noticable dependand on the particular tyre model or suspension chosen - one can specify it either with or without sport suspension (even with the M Package - I did the same, but went for DDC option as well).
+1 I have 18" winter rims and 19" summer rims and there isn't much difference in ride quality at all. It's not like having a tiny side wall on a 3er with big rims. The 19s also make the car look a lot better

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #2168
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney058 View Post

Fair point on the tyres, thought that sidewall would be lower.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #2169
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Interesting re comments on Auto box. I have ordered a 2.0d M Sport with auto, all my previous cars have been manual. I tested a demo and found the auto excellent. What really swung it was my dealer telling me 90% of their X 3 orders are auto and they take a much bigger deposit if someone wants a manual in case they cancel as they know a manual will be hard to shift. So if it's your own money care re the manual you might have a surprise when you px.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #2170
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Well, following on from my earlier posts about ordering a manual, took a drive in the dealers automatic demo at the weekend.

Tried to be as objective as possible, but I'm sure that would be impossible as we still have our pre-conceived ideas. Anyway, whilst I found it to be a really good gearbox, I didn't really warm to it, so the order for a manual is still on.

I was also concerned that the steering might be too light and that I might have to consider the Variable Sport Steering option, but the car I drove (an M Sport on 19's with sports suspension and standard steering) felt fine - OK, it wasn't the most feelsome, but it has sufficient weight to keep me satisfied and I really enjoyed the drive.

The only changes I made to the order were to add the Access Package (had already specced the powered bootlid, so £320 extra for Comfort Access seems reasonable) and replace Heated Front Seats with the Cold Weather Package. Never had a car with a heated steering wheel, but thought what the hell!.

Car should be going into production w/c 20/08 and due at the dealers on or around 07/10. They're going to try and get it in before the end of September to get into Q3 figures which suits me fine - I hate waiting for things.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #2171
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We got our X3 in May and one thing for us was the quality of the 8speed auto, and the "manual" option is there if you need it.
What impressed me most is the mpg figures are the same as the manual.

Still enjoying it.....
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #2172
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
I was also concerned that the steering might be too light and that I might have to consider the Variable Sport Steering option, but the car I drove (an M Sport on 19's with sports suspension and standard steering) felt fine - OK, it wasn't the most feelsome, but it has sufficient weight to keep me satisfied and I really enjoyed the drive.
I may be out of date of the packages but doesn't MSport include VSS? Enabled when in Sport mode.
      08-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #2173
Yeltzer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 xDrive 20d M Sport

Quote:
They're going to try and get it in before the end of September to get into Q3 figures which suits me fine - I hate waiting for things.
Trust me, its agony! Especially when you know its on the boat over here and even more so when it gets shipped to Germany first for PDI!

Good things come to those who wait though
      08-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #2174
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I may be out of date of the packages but doesn't MSport include VSS? Enabled when in Sport mode.
Not with the 20d - the 30d and 35d come with VSS which includes servotronic, but it's an extra cost option on the 4 cylinder car. Like I say, I thought the standard steering was about right for what is a relatively heavy 4x4. Not sure if the fact the car was an M Sport on the larger wheels had anything to do with it, but I didn't come away with the feeling that I need to spend any extra to 'improve' things.

Not that it really matters, but the sales guy I was dealing with wasn't trying to push the VSS, as he thought it wasn't necessary and very few of their customers choose to take the option. He did suggest the auto box, but that's a different matter altogether......
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #2175
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Not with the 20d - the 30d and 35d come with VSS which includes servotronic, but it's an extra cost option on the 4 cylinder car. Like I say, I thought the standard steering was about right for what is a relatively heavy 4x4. Not sure if the fact the car was an M Sport on the larger wheels had anything to do with it, but I didn't come away with the feeling that I need to spend any extra to 'improve' things.
ok, I understand. VSS I find helps the steering a little but I question whether I'd bother too if it were a cost option on my car.
      08-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #2176
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:

Did you test drive a manual? The pedals are offset!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:44 AM   #2177
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

New Forum Member, New X3 Ordered

Hi all, just joined the forum today after months of enjoyable and informative reading...

Just ordered my new X3 30d M Sport to replace my three year old 330d auto M Sport Tourer.

Alpine White
Roof Rails Matt Aluminium 3AT
Exterior Trim Matt Aluminium 3MB
Red Brown Nevada Trim LUCZ

Spec also has following cost options:

Media Package ZXF
Visibility Package ZXG
Cold Weather Package ZXH
Electric Seat Adjustment ZXO
Towbar (electric) 3AC
Reversing Camera (3AG) (Free of charge from dealer)
Windscreen With Grey Band 3AP
Luggage Net 413
Sun Protect Glass 420
Internet 614
Enhanced Bluetooth with Telematics 633
DAB Radio 654
Business Loudspeaker System 676
Telephone USB Audio Interface 6NF
Mobile App Preperation 6NR

I've been assured that my car will have paddleshift too, dealer says that from a particular week number (in August 12 I think) all 30d M Sport auto's will have paddles (can't remember which week)

Car promised for delivery by end of September (not bad since I only ordered at end of July) and I have the VIN number ready for trackiing it's progress on WW's website.

Drove an 30d SE demonstrator a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the overall refinement of the engine / geartrain, much improved over the 330d and that was very impressive in it's own right.

Does anyone know of a method of finding out when my car is actually built so that I can look out for it on WW's track n' trace other than hassling my supplying dealer? I would think that if my car is to be delivered by end of Sept it must be built by now...
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #2178
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Hi all, just joined the forum today after months of enjoyable and informative reading...

Just ordered my new X3 30d M Sport to replace my three year old 330d auto M Sport Tourer.

Alpine White
Roof Rails Matt Aluminium 3AT
Exterior Trim Matt Aluminium 3MB
Red Brown Nevada Trim LUCZ

Spec also has following cost options:

Media Package ZXF
Visibility Package ZXG
Cold Weather Package ZXH
Electric Seat Adjustment ZXO
Towbar (electric) 3AC
Reversing Camera (3AG) (Free of charge from dealer)
Windscreen With Grey Band 3AP
Luggage Net 413
Sun Protect Glass 420
Internet 614
Enhanced Bluetooth with Telematics 633
DAB Radio 654
Business Loudspeaker System 676
Telephone USB Audio Interface 6NF
Mobile App Preperation 6NR

I've been assured that my car will have paddleshift too, dealer says that from a particular week number (in August 12 I think) all 30d M Sport auto's will have paddles (can't remember which week)

Car promised for delivery by end of September (not bad since I only ordered at end of July) and I have the VIN number ready for trackiing it's progress on WW's website.

Drove an 30d SE demonstrator a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed with the overall refinement of the engine / geartrain, much improved over the 330d and that was very impressive in it's own right.

Does anyone know of a method of finding out when my car is actually built so that I can look out for it on WW's track n' trace other than hassling my supplying dealer? I would think that if my car is to be delivered by end of Sept it must be built by now...
Hi and welcome. Very nice spec

You can't check online to my knowledge but if you call your dealer (or turn up in person if you can) and make them check on their antiquated system the status of your X3 will change when production is completed - something like "departed plant" - as per first page of this thread

Appreciate 0