BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
chuckypowers
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

Lightbulb Does VDC in Sport + with the 2.0d engine make it feel quicker more punchy

Hi,

Quick question my dealer reckons on the 2.0d with VDC set to Sport + the car will feel quicker as the throttle response is tuned up

Do you feel that when driving in this mode .. Does the car feel sharper ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:35 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I don't think throttle response is any different in Sport than it is Sport+. Sport+ just reduces help from traction control. You can still increase throttle response without VDC in a standard auto by driving in Sport mode (DS).

Also it's Dynamic Drive Control (DDC) that gives you Normal, Sport and Sport+ modes. You get DDC included with either VDC or with Variable Sport Steering (VSS)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

You should probably consider performance control too. I have sports suspension, servotronic steering, perf control and 19s which is a good combination for me generally but when you drive it in DS there is a noticeable difference. I don't feel I need any more response from the throttle and therefore no need for VSS/DDC but would consider VDC if ordering again for the occasional times when you want a smoother ride around town (and just to try it out)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I don't think throttle response is any different in Sport than it is Sport+. Sport+ just reduces help from traction control. You can still increase throttle response without VDC in a standard auto by driving in Sport mode (DS).

Also it's Dynamic Drive Control (DDC) that gives you Normal, Sport and Sport+ modes. You get DDC included with either VDC or with Variable Sport Steering (VSS)
That said, it's not quite the same effect as being in drivetrain SPORT or SPORT+.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
That said, it's not quite the same effect as being in drivetrain SPORT or SPORT+.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that it isn't the same although the extra drivetrain gains from DDC are probably more worthwhile in the 30d or the 28i/35i

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Yeah, I should have mentioned that it isn't the same although the extra drivetrain gains from DDC are probably more worthwhile in the 30d or the 28i/35i
Not to negate its effect across the entire powertrain lineup, though. Your 20d is obviously more apt with or without the Dynamic Drive Control than you're giving it credit for, otherwise you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as you do!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Not to negate its effect across the entire powertrain lineup, though. Your 20d is obviously more apt with or without the Dynamic Drive Control than you're giving it credit for, otherwise you probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as you do!
True, don't get me wrong, I love the car!! The grass is always greener and DDC and the 30d are just increasingly greener grass

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
True, don't get me wrong, I love the car!! The grass is always greener and DDC and the 30d are just increasingly greener grass
The 35D will burn grass at least I hope mine does.
      10-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
The 35D will burn grass at least I hope mine does.
It will burn grass but it won't go anywhere, the wheels will just spin

Actually I'm not sure how my 30D will work out if we get snow like we had for the last two winters. Our 12 year old RAV4 was fantastic, this was the VX version with low profiles and very much summer tyres. My X3 on non-winter tyres and no snow setting to turn down the power could be "interesting". A snow setting to set turbo boost to zero might have been a good thing for BMW to offer, more use than hill descent.

I know winter tyres are a solution but the RAV4 didn't need them and my snow driving tends to involve getting out of my drive and about 200m down the road. After that I'm on roads that are cleared. If I were driving the 30k miles I used to do per year then winter tyres would be an option.

Last edited by clivem2; 10-21-2011 at 06:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
It will burn grass but it won't go anywhere, the wheels will just spin

Actually I'm not sure how my 30D will work out if we get snow like we had for the last two winters. Our 12 year old RAV4 was fantastic, this was the VX version with low profiles and very much summer tyres. My X3 on non-winter tyres and no snow setting to turn down the power could be "interesting". A snow setting to set turbo boost to zero might have been a good thing for BMW to offer, more use than hill descent.

I know winter tyres are a solution but the RAV4 didn't need them and my snow driving tends to involve getting out of my drive and about 200m down the road. After that I'm on roads that are cleared. If I were driving the 30k miles I used to do per year then winter tyres would be an option.
After my M3 and 550i M Sport being redundant during winter snowy conditions, i have got myself a set of dunlop winter sport 3D XL 100V run-flats 245/45/18 on 18" * 8.5 pro-race 1.3 team dynamic wheels ( BLACK ) will take some pictures on the X3 when it arrives. I think I will get good use out of these over the next two winters.