BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

[UK] X3 xDrive 20d SE - Space Grey delivered 30 SEP 11

Rather than continue to spam the "UK orders" thread, I thought I ought to start a new thread on my new delivery.

It was delivered yesterday (30 Sep) and is a company car that I have for the next 3 years. This is relevant for a couple of reasons - I don't have the option of selling it if I'm not happy and I have to be careful about adding options because I pay about 90% of the cost and don't receive any benefit on their resale value.

So ... I stuck as much as possible with standard kit and only added extras rather than upgrading existing items such as wheels and seats. I also avoided adding the nav options as the vast majority of my driving is over the same well trodden routes and my trusty TomTom will suffice when I need it.

Options I added:
Auto gearbox - first option on the list, particularly as it was the one extra that really cost me very little (less than £20 month for a £1500 option) and gives so much back. I spent 5 hours in stop/start traffic last night and the auto box was a sanity saver.
Space Grey Metallic paint - really torn between white and space grey, particularly as my Audi A5 was a very similar colour (quartz grey). Really happy with my choice now I've got the car.
Business loudspeaker system - so much better than I expected. If it wasn't for the absence of the surround option I'd say they'd installed the top end system. I had a Bang and Olufsen stereo in the A5 which cost a fortune and the quality here is just as good and the volume SO much better. My ears hurt before I get to testing its loudest and the quality doesn't suffer. Really, really pleased with this.
Cold weather package consists of heated seats front/rear, heated steering wheel, 40:20:40 split reat seat. Yet to be tried in earnest but a quick test yesterday (27C temps outside!) suggests this will be fantastic in the winter and I'll no longer be trying to drive in my big North Face parka.
Electric lumbar support No need for electric seats as nobody else drives the car but the odd tweak of the lumbar is essential for me on long journeys. The standard seats still give plenty of adjustment and lateral support.
Bluetooth with Voice Control Integrated telephony was a must for me. Managed to pair my iPhone4 and Blackberry Bold 9700 easily enough but the Blackberry wouldn't do anything other than list contacts. I was expecting to be able to view email etc on the iDrive with the enhanced Bluetooth option but it's possible I was mistaken or I need to RTFM. iPhone media playing isn't as rich as I had expected but again I need to RTFM (and the forum) before moaning. iPhone bluetooth integration for audio seems to be pants - no browsing just next/previous track?!?

Other general thoughts:
- build quality on mine is excellent - Yanks can build a good car
- it's a lot bigger than I remember from my weekend demonstrator!
- no wind noise for me despite the enormous wing mirrors
- standard day running lights are a let down - no angel eyes without LED/Xenons? Even the 318d I was borrowing had angel eyes. I miss the Xenons from the A5 but the standard lights on the X3 are capable enough.
- standard media kit works brilliantly with a WD Passport portable HDD via USB: seems far more intuitive than the iPhone integration and still displays cover art etc if it's on the drive.
- not sure what all the moaning about door quality was about - mine are solid.
- standard 17" wheels look surprisingly good IMHO ... moreover they'll be easy to clean
- engine rather "agricultural" from a cold start but soon becomes smooth and appears to be a great motorway cruiser.
- really surprised at how many looks the car got - didn't expect this as it's a pretty standard SUV shape.
- family absolutely love it ... and you know what? THAT'S what really matters

Here's a few pics taken with our point and click camera.
Attached Images

Last edited by TuffLittleUnit; 10-01-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Bold is 9700
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Congrats. I am actually starting to wonder if I should have gone for space grey...oh well bit late for that now.
      10-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Nice one TFU. I am the same as you re BB Bold and no mail/messages - I think bmw.com have a video demo just for the BB Bold. Very sensible choice - re costs for company car driver. After less than 2 days and only 130 miles my wheel are covered in break dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Tank - you're a fully paid up member now - you can change your sig and current vehicle

250 miles and my wheels are still mint. Front of car is covered with bug splat though.
      10-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
Tank - you're a fully paid up member now - you can change your sig and current vehicle
bankrupt member - I own mine
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

great pics and comments..

am really surprised at the no of folks with the std 17's... expected a lot more 18/19's.. now i don't feel so bad with mine
      10-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
Chudwill
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d MSport & 123d MSport

Great looking car, I have the same colour tour right you do get looks more than I expected. I to was worried about the engine but the pick up pretty good for the size of car. Glad your family like it, mine cannot wait to get in it. I have no problem as long as they leave their shoes out side it!!! Hehe
BMW X3 (F25) xDrive20d M Sport . . Space Grey . . 368M . . Oyster Leather . . Fine line Wave trim . . PRO Multimedia Package . . Visibility package . . . Lumbar Support seats . . folding mirrors . . DAB radio . . business speakers . . split rear seats . . . Reversing Camera with Top View . . . Variable Damper Control . . . Auto . . . Heated Front Seats . . . Mobile App
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Space Grey looks nice, great looking house too, congrats!

No one ever seems to get mineral silver though, why the hate?

Last edited by Dukat; 10-01-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Space Grey looks nice, great looking house too, contrats!

No one ever seems to get mineral silver though, why the hate?
I just drove past a Mineral Silver approaching the A4 at Charvil at the Texaco garage. Any takers?! This should really go in the X3 sightings thread but you just reminded me. I think MS looks great in the sun but prefer TiAg personally

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

I agree, mineral silver is finicky. In cloudy weather/shade it looks fairly dark, but in bright sun it's great.

I initially picked white, but when I finally saw one after a month of searching I took a liking to it. Also figured it would be unique/rare as I've never seen one on the road.
      10-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Rather than continue to spam the "UK orders" thread, I thought I ought to start a new thread on my new delivery.

It was delivered yesterday (30 Sep) and is a company car that I have for the next 3 years. This is relevant for a couple of reasons - I don't have the option of selling it if I'm not happy and I have to be careful about adding options because I pay about 90% of the cost and don't receive any benefit on their resale value.

So ... I stuck as much as possible with standard kit and only added extras rather than upgrading existing items such as wheels and seats. I also avoided adding the nav options as the vast majority of my driving is over the same well trodden routes and my trusty TomTom will suffice when I need it.

Options I added:
Auto gearbox - first option on the list, particularly as it was the one extra that really cost me very little (less than £20 month for a £1500 option) and gives so much back. I spent 5 hours in stop/start traffic last night and the auto box was a sanity saver.
Space Grey Metallic paint - really torn between white and space grey, particularly as my Audi A5 was a very similar colour (quartz grey). Really happy with my choice now I've got the car.
Business loudspeaker system - so much better than I expected. If it wasn't for the absence of the surround option I'd say they'd installed the top end system. I had a Bang and Olufsen stereo in the A5 which cost a fortune and the quality here is just as good and the volume SO much better. My ears hurt before I get to testing its loudest and the quality doesn't suffer. Really, really pleased with this.
Cold weather package consists of heated seats front/rear, heated steering wheel, 40:20:40 split reat seat. Yet to be tried in earnest but a quick test yesterday (27C temps outside!) suggests this will be fantastic in the winter and I'll no longer be trying to drive in my big North Face parka.
Electric lumbar support No need for electric seats as nobody else drives the car but the odd tweak of the lumbar is essential for me on long journeys. The standard seats still give plenty of adjustment and lateral support.
Bluetooth with Voice Control Integrated telephony was a must for me. Managed to pair my iPhone4 and Blackberry Bold 9700 easily enough but the Blackberry wouldn't do anything other than list contacts. I was expecting to be able to view email etc on the iDrive with the enhanced Bluetooth option but it's possible I was mistaken or I need to RTFM. iPhone media playing isn't as rich as I had expected but again I need to RTFM (and the forum) before moaning. iPhone bluetooth integration for audio seems to be pants - no browsing just next/previous track?!?

Other general thoughts:
- build quality on mine is excellent - Yanks can build a good car
- it's a lot bigger than I remember from my weekend demonstrator!
- no wind noise for me despite the enormous wing mirrors
- standard day running lights are a let down - no angel eyes without LED/Xenons? Even the 318d I was borrowing had angel eyes. I miss the Xenons from the A5 but the standard lights on the X3 are capable enough.
- standard media kit works brilliantly with a WD Passport portable HDD via USB: seems far more intuitive than the iPhone integration and still displays cover art etc if it's on the drive.
- not sure what all the moaning about door quality was about - mine are solid.
- standard 17" wheels look surprisingly good IMHO ... moreover they'll be easy to clean
- engine rather "agricultural" from a cold start but soon becomes smooth and appears to be a great motorway cruiser.
- really surprised at how many looks the car got - didn't expect this as it's a pretty standard SUV shape.
- family absolutely love it ... and you know what? THAT'S what really matters

Here's a few pics taken with our point and click camera.
Agree the 17s are good. I've seen a few in the flesh and I like them now. They just look rubbish on the configurator for some reason. You'll also get better fuel economy as they're low rolling resistance non-runflats aren't they?

Agree on pretty much all points, particularly and the size of the thing and xenons/DRLs. I thought BB worked with BMW Office but we're iphone only so not sure. I also haven't noticed any wind noise and I'm very pleased with the build quality. iPhone BT is only track forwards/backwards. This is more down to the BT tech than BMW as I understand it

Have fun

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Nice car,
Thinking about wheels again, I've ordered the speedlines with mine but I may go back to the standard the ones for the 3.0, they look good
Good to hear about the business loadspeakers, got them coming and it's good to have a second opinion.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Congratulations, Tuff. The Space Grey looks great. Nearly got it myself but currently have a grey <ahem> Toyota so thought I should have a change and ordered MS.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
Congrats. I am actually starting to wonder if I should have gone for space grey...oh well bit late for that now.
Salt in wounds ... my car was filthy when I took the pics but still looks pretty clean in the pics. As someone who's had a black car before ... black looks fantastic whilst you're polishing it (and you WILL be polishing rather than just washing) but within 30 mins it seems to have become a grime magnet.
      10-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Salt in wounds ... my car was filthy when I took the pics but still looks pretty clean in the pics. As someone who's had a black car before ... black looks fantastic whilst you're polishing it (and you WILL be polishing rather than just washing) but within 30 mins it seems to have become a grime magnet.
It does concern me TBH and it is a big car to polish. I did have a black Golf GTi a few years ago and it did always seem to be dirty...
      10-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by washy View Post
It does concern me TBH and it is a big car to polish. I did have a black Golf GTi a few years ago and it did always seem to be dirty...
Come to the (not so) dark side...
      10-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Come to the (not so) dark side...
Much too late sadly.....
      10-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #18
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Exact reason I chose space grey and pleased to confirm after 5 months that it does look great when cleaned and polished but also hides the dirt way way better the black.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #19
ninoo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x3 2.0d Auto

I also have space grey and standard wheels and find it easy to keep both bodywork and wheels looking well. I have the car for 5 months now and am very pleased with it, except I have had one puncture so far, but did not need to use "puncture kit" ,just as well as I have no confidence in same kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Put the auto box in sport mode for the first time today

Bit of a Jekyll and Hyde 'cos it took off ... I felt like Wylie Coyote on an Acme rocket for a few seconds. What must the 3.0D be like?!?