BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3 and X4 Forums | F25 (2011 - 2017) | F26 (2014 - Current) Second Generation BMW X3 General Forum Drive train Malfunction

03-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
cybersandman
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Drive train Malfunction

My 2013 X3 recently experienced a drivetrain malfunction error. I see others have had this experience as well. I purchased my vehicle as a certified pre-owned model, I had just over 85,000 miles on it when this error presented.

My vehicle has been at the dealer for just over a week now. I was informed that they are replacing the timing belt and turbo. Thankfully, this work is covered under remaining warranty. I look forward to getting my nearly new X3 back soon.
      03-19-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
cybersandman
Rep

Back and running smoothly

I got my X3 back today. I am pleased to report that there are no more Drivetrain malfunction errors appearing and the high pitched whining sounds that I used to hear is no more. My vehicle is running smoothly.

The service manager said that they replaced the timing chain with updated parts, so I should not have any more issues with it. They also replaced the turbo.

I am thankful that the dealership sorted this out and got it all fixed while I remain under warranty. I was informed that the out of pocket cost for these repairs would be about $6,000.

Last edited by cybersandman; 04-09-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i & 2014 550i xDrive

I got the drivetrain malfunction error last weekend on my 2013 X3 35i. Took it in yesterday. Getting the repair estimates back today. I am out of warranty. Mileage is about 75k. I certainly hope this is not going to cost $6k.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
cybersandman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito View Post
I got the drivetrain malfunction error last weekend on my 2013 X3 35i. Took it in yesterday. Getting the repair estimates back today. I am out of warranty. Mileage is about 75k. I certainly hope this is not going to cost $6k.
Quote:
I wish you well. I seen several causes for this problem on the forum. Likely yours won't be the same since you have the 35i.
      03-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
marc x
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Quote:
Too bad not too many of you are mechanically inclined, esp out of warranty! More than likey it is just the spark plugs or coil, you should look into getting the dealer software it will tell you everything that they [deAler] will tell you
Plus more.
When I had the drivetrain malfunction on my i6, I ran the codes and it said misfire and map sensor and then this is all even though a Check Engine Light never appeared but the cars non obd computers records it and other conditions.
I replaced my plugs coils and map sensor and have never seen the code again. Also when the battery life was starting to end , the symptoms arose but didn't set and that was only because the battery controls everything in this car , water pump, fuel injection, etc!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i & 2014 550i xDrive

I got the car back. I was told there is a fan on top of the engine that was malfunctioning and they would have to do a software update. Cost me about $300. The error has not returned thus far. I think this was a best case scenario. Got lucky here.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 01:03 AM   #7
marc x
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey I got drivetrain malfunction earlier today as I stomped the pedal to get onto the freeway my car came to drivetrain malfunction and said continue driving just do it moderately but it felt really boggy, so I got off from the freeway and parked in a parking spot at some business and just let the car idle. I opened the bonnet and can see the motor vibrating like a misfire was happening. I tried to give it some gas and there was still
That misfire effect.

So I finally shut the car off and restarted it and of course the lights went away and it was all good again even for revving . I get home and hook up my Bosch scanner and I see a there is a code on there even though I have no engine light. One code is generic hex , the other is cylinder 8 deactivation.
Mind you I have the i6 n52 na.

Now I get ITSA up and running on an old core2duo (MSI took a dump) and I scan and get this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
marc x
Enlisted Member
Rep

the photo didn't come out right, but the very top line reads
: DME 110008 Cylinder injection cutout:tank fill level too low

I admit I had low fuel, I think I was probably at the fuel reserve because I didn't feel like getting gas right away.
Appreciate 0