BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
xdriv3
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Should I go through insurance?

Hey all,

Some guy backed his car into my rear passenger wheel. Luckily no body damage. The rim now has some scratches. I'm going to have my body shop look at it tomorrow. Hoping it'll be less than 200 to rebalance and repair the wheel.

In any case, I have a police report filed for the accident. Since the cost of repair is likely less than my deductible, I'm hoping to settle privately. If I run into issues with the guy, I can always go via insurance. Here's the issue though. With such a small claim and not even hitting deductible, would my insurance still be willing to pay out this claim to me first and then go after the other guy's policy? I really don't want to create red flags on my policy leading to nonrenewals and premium insurances. As an aside, my policy has accident forgiveness. Don't think it matters in my case since I'm not at fault. The last claim on the policy was last yr (different driver on policy and also not at fault). The one prior to that was 9 yrs ago from natural causes.

Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I'd skip it unless it adds up to be a lot higher than you originally thought.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
few weeks ago i was hit while at light, damage was few chips and scuffs on trim of rear bumper (msport). i decided to settle privately since damage was very little. I got an estimate of damage and I contacted the person. All resolve without police report or insurance.

get an estimate of repair and contact person if they want to go thru insurance or settle in private manner
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdriv3 View Post
Hey all,

Some guy backed his car into my rear passenger wheel. Luckily no body damage. The rim now has some scratches. I'm going to have my body shop look at it tomorrow. Hoping it'll be less than 200 to rebalance and repair the wheel.

In any case, I have a police report filed for the accident. Since the cost of repair is likely less than my deductible, I'm hoping to settle privately. If I run into issues with the guy, I can always go via insurance. Here's the issue though. With such a small claim and not even hitting deductible, would my insurance still be willing to pay out this claim to me first and then go after the other guy's policy? I really don't want to create red flags on my policy leading to nonrenewals and premium insurances. As an aside, my policy has accident forgiveness. Don't think it matters in my case since I'm not at fault. The last claim on the policy was last yr (different driver on policy and also not at fault). The one prior to that was 9 yrs ago from natural causes.

Thoughts???
Refinishing the rim and rebalance should only cost a couple hundred bucks, unless there are suspension component damage. You should also do a front wheel alignment, let the alignment guy know what happened and have him check for suspension damage. If you are not at fault, the insurance company should pay you first and then go after the other party's insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Make sure your suspension is ok. I once got hit in the wheel (not on a BMW) and it was subtle at first but the shocks were damaged and needed to be replaced. I paid cash for that one - $1500 on an Acura.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Ryno 27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition, X5 M50i

I always go thru my own insurance. Think about it, you pay them to work for you when you need them, why go thru the hassle and aggravation of dealing with the other company that represents the at fault party? Their job is to minimize the claim. If you want the work done right, and quick, use your own, pay the deductible and be done. Your insurance company will fight hard to get you (and themselves) reimbursed.
Appreciate 0