BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
Martinique78
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

P0112F/101f01 HELP

I just picked up a 2011 X3 35i that is setting a P0112F or 101f01 code.

I've checked all the charge air pipes for leaks and everything is sealed up good. The valve cover was replaced recently with a new one so the PCV is not an issue. Both pressure sensors are working fine. MAF sensor is working fine. i capped off the exhaust flap port to rule out that as a leak.

I did find one of the injectors had the wrong compensation code set in the ecm and i have since updated that. I did a relearn on the vanos.

The plugs look pretty black and I have a new set on the way. Could plugs be the problem? What else can i look at in the meantime while I wait for parts?

I have ISTA to help diagnose this but so far I've had no luck.

Each time i clear the code it comes back almost immediately after starting the engine again.

I did notice that unplugging the intake vanos solenoid made the engine run much smoother. I pulled both solenoids to check if they were dirty but they weren't and cleaned them while i had them out.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
Martinique78
Rep

Nobody? I find it hard to believe I’m the only one that’s had to deal with this...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
If you clear an error code and it comes right back there's a current issue that needs to be diagnosed. Did you attempt to follow the test plan in ista to diagnose the reason for the error(s)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Martinique78
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
If you clear an error code and it comes right back there's a current issue that needs to be diagnosed. Did you attempt to follow the test plan in ista to diagnose the reason for the error(s)
Yes I have followed all the test plans and unless I'm missing something there was no defined issue found. I'm not some shade tree mechanic, i have lots of diagnostic experience both at the oem and consumer level so the fact that i might have not done something correctly isn't really there.

I just hate to start throwing parts at a car before having a clear idea what the problem could be.

I looked at the build up on the valves and there is some there, not sure if its enough to cause this code but i'm going to walnut blast them today just to rule it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
did you try this: https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B11-09-19
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
Martinique78
Rep

Ok I think I figured it out. They said the valve cover was just replaced so I didn't check the pcv valve. Since I had to go over everything else they did to this engine I decided to do a quick vacuum test on the small port above the pcv diaphragm and low and behold it wouldn't hold vacuum meaning the diaphragm has a split in it. I also noticed the engine ran better.

I ordered the diaphragm repair kit to save from buying a whole new cover. Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 11:57 AM   #7
Papa Smurf
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinique78 View Post
Ok I think I figured it out. They said the valve cover was just replaced so I didn't check the pcv valve. Since I had to go over everything else they did to this engine I decided to do a quick vacuum test on the small port above the pcv diaphragm and low and behold it wouldn't hold vacuum meaning the diaphragm has a split in it. I also noticed the engine ran better.

I ordered the diaphragm repair kit to save from buying a whole new cover. Wish me luck.
Just wondering if you have this resolved as I am dealing with the same P112F issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #8
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

I have this exact code on my 2013 X5 35i, the BMW equivalent code is a 28A0... And let me tell you a story...

I've spent thousands attempting to resolve it.. you'll love the final fix...wait for it.

I've replaced

MAF
MAP
TMAP
CRANK SENSORS
INTAKE GASKETS
THROTTLE BODY AND GASKET
BOUGHT A SMOKE TESTER AND TESTED ALL
REPLACE THE FRONT CRANK SEAL
OIL PAN GASKET
VALVE COVER AND GASKET
PURGE VALVE AND ALL ASSOCIATED HOSES
AND IM SURE IVE MISSED SOMETHING..I DID

All that said, none of it solved this BS ass BMW error code which let's be honest is as vague of an error code as can be...And before anyone jumps in. I replaced most of those items based on ISTA recommended repairs.... What a damn joke, that software will send you down rabbit holes trying to fix this...

So how did I fix it?

I pulled the instrument cluster out, opened it up and placed Black electrical tape over the CEL led so I no longer need to look at that stupid light when my truck drives FLAWLESSLY... That was 70k+ miles ago and I'm at 222k+ miles now...

Btw I found out since then that you can use BIMMERGEEKS PROTOOLS and permanent code the CEL OFF.....

So what am I saying.... If it doesn't affect the way the truck runs... Screw that code.

I win.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 08:22 AM   #9
leamsi_iso9001
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinique78 View Post

Hi did you finally found a fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 02:32 PM   #10
rcsup1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Had this issue and this did the trick for me. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...63029-9999.pdf
2011 F25 X3 35i |M-Sport Front Bumper Conversion|Largus Full Adjustable Coilovers|FTP Charge Pipes|Gutted Catalytic Downpipe|RB Oil Cooler Thermostat Delete|25 Row Oil Cooler|Custom Built Cold Air Intake|9"AEM Cone Filter Behind Kidney Grills With Outerwear|Precision Raceworks Coils|BM3 Stage 2 E30 Tune| BM3 Upgraded 8-speed TCU Flash|395mm X5M Front Brakes
Appreciate 0