BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Faux headlight on US spec xenons

Anyone notice that there is only one operational HID light on either side of their X3? The lenses closest to the grill are for show only.

This is the first time I have seen the hi-beams run off the low beams and are simply adjusted via an internal aperture. Pretty neat! You can see it pretty clearly by shining a light into the empty lense.

I'm mostly used to halogen highs and occasionally have seen a dual HID setup but typically HIDs are not used in highs as they take a second to warm up.

Are all newer BMWs using this fake lense setup?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
Anyone notice that there is only one operational HID light on either side of their X3? The lenses closest to the grill are for show only.

This is the first time I have seen the hi-beams run off the low beams and are simply adjusted via an internal aperture. Pretty neat! You can see it pretty clearly by shining a light into the empty lense.

I'm mostly used to halogen highs and occasionally have seen a dual HID setup but typically HIDs are not used in highs as they take a second to warm up.

All BMW xenon hi-beams are designed that way; in fact most cars use the xenon low-beam bulb with an internal aperture adjustment. If you take the headlight out, there's a patent number on the technology for the adjustable aperture. You can also read the aperture stats on the corona rings when they're off. The innermost bulb is used on the 1, 3, 5, 6, and 7 as a corner illuminator, but the X models make use of their fog lights for this feature. It's a BMW signature to have two bulb components in each headlight, so it was just a design feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Aren't they used for adaptive headlights and come on when cornering if you have this option or is that the fog lamps?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

Both our headlights and fog lights aim when going into a corner.

Was just surprised to see the lens and nothing behind it. Still looks good though.

I guess the statment 'most cars use this aperture' is relative to what you define as most cars. All the vehicles I have worked on recently have a HID low beam and a halogen high beam.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
loatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i

Quote:
The fog lights are adaptive as well?
      05-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by loatron View Post
Quote:
The fog lights are adaptive as well?
The foglights are not adaptive. One will illuminate when the wheels are turned far enough. Thats it.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
The foglights are not adaptive. One will illuminate when the wheels are turned far enough. Thats it.
They're activated by the turn signal. Perhaps also by wheel angle? But have not seen that happen on mine.
      05-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
They're activated by the turn signal. Perhaps also by wheel angle? But have not seen that happen on mine.
When you turn the wheel to the right, the right fog light will come on. Same goes for when you turn the wheel to the left. Try it in your driveway...turn the wheel, get out of the car and take a peek...one fog light will be lit on the side your wheel is turned to
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool. That's better than I thought, then. When it comes on with the turn signal, it tie out after a bit so if you're in traffic in turns off before the turn ( watching that and the angel eyes reflected in the car ahead, of course). Guess I couldn't see it turn back on once turning. Will have to go check that out!
      05-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
When you turn the wheel to the right, the right fog light will come on. Same goes for when you turn the wheel to the left. Try it in your driveway...turn the wheel, get out of the car and take a peek...one fog light will be lit on the side your wheel is turned to
Important to only try this on your driveway, not the highway!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 06:07 AM   #11
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

05-23-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:

Was just surprised to see the lens and nothing behind it. Still looks good though.

I guess the statment 'most cars use this aperture' is relative to what you define as most cars. All the vehicles I have worked on recently have a HID low beam and a halogen high beam.
Most *new* cars in the premium segment. I should have been more clear.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:

The headlights next to the grill are for flash-to-pass. Pull back on your high beam switch and they will be ON only as you pull back on the switch. They do not stay on. When you push forward on the high beam switch the outer xenon's become your full time high beam lights. The flash-to-pass lights can be used with your headlights off or on.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
...Was just surprised to see the lens and nothing behind it. Still looks good though....
Actually, if you look through the dummy lens while shining a flashlight through it, you will see three white wire termination blocks and a lot of multi-colored wires.

Have thought of putting a small red-green-blue, color changing LED array there to supplement the daytime running lights, but syncing the color change sequence of two sides is a minor problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen5242 View Post
The headlights next to the grill are for flash-to-pass. Pull back on your high beam switch and they will be ON only as you pull back on the switch. They do not stay on. When you push forward on the high beam switch the outer xenon's become your full time high beam lights. The flash-to-pass lights can be used with your headlights off or on.
You are very incorrect... There is nothing in the inner lenses. They are dummy. Flash to pass activates the high beams on the outer lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

The variable aperture system is simply called "bi-xenon". So if u see cars as saying they have bi-xenon, then both dipped & main beams share the same projector.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Actually, if you look through the dummy lens while shining a flashlight through it, you will see three white wire termination blocks and a lot of multi-colored wires.

Have thought of putting a small red-green-blue, color changing LED array there to supplement the daytime running lights, but syncing the color change sequence of two sides is a minor problem.
You don't think the local constabulary will have issues with your forward-facing, alternating red/blue lights???

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #18
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
You don't think the local constabulary will have issues with your forward-facing, alternating red/blue lights???
Have thought about it, but these would be at a lower than daytime running light intensity, not Xenon strobe flashing intensity. However, you're right - it might be inviting trouble.

Maybe a better use of the inside lens openings would be a high powered IR laser to burn holes in the slow cars blocking the passing lane.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Have thought about it, but these would be at a lower than daytime running light intensity, not Xenon strobe flashing intensity. However, you're right - it might be inviting trouble.

Maybe a better use of the inside lens openings would be a high powered IR laser to burn holes in the slow cars blocking the passing lane.
Now you're talking!

I'm thinking of putting eye patches over mine, just to make it look tough.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Here in California, no forward facing red or blue lights of any intensity allowed. Even aftermarket motorcycle windscreens can't be red or blue (think sportbikes with short windscreens). Ok if it came from the factory that way, though.

Quote:
Yes!

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0