BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
whispered
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Carbon Black X3 35i

Regarding that top view, I wish BMW's system was a little more similar to Infiniti's top view by displaying, as default, side by side views of both top view and back-up camera view. This would allow you to simultaneously look around you at the same time as focusing on the rear view once you get closer to a wall/object as you back in. Currently, I use top view when I start to back in, thus aligning all sides of the car with the parking space, and then switching to rear view as I approach a wall/object so I don't smash into anything. At least we have a nice radar system that is active the whole time when backing up but a simultaneous camera view would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
It is true that the power tailgate does not close with the remote, as I just tried it. Must be a safety issue. Opening it with the remote works fine.

It is a bit more difficult to close the power tailgate by hand, due to the pressure in the struts. But why do this, when you can just push the button on the bottom of the tailgate and start walking. Its another one of those things (like Convenience Access) that you get used to, very quickly.
The tailgate definitely closes with the remote , in europe at least.. Just keep pressing the trunk open button on the remote.. You have to hold it pressed all the way until it closes...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #25
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
Finalising the options I want.. How important and useful are these three options?

Is the door hard to close without the lifegate (I'll be using the trunk once/week max).
Does topview make is much easier to park than the regular rear camera?
And premium sound in USA, is it much more "surround" sounding than the stock sound - I don't listen to sound very loudly but would like decent quality.
frankly, none of the 3 mentioned options change anything in the well being of your car, its performace or add any difference.
They are all nice to have though (if your budget permits), but your BMW is prefectly fine without them.
Pretty well " can-live-without" items...
If you have the luxury of choosing individually in US, then I'd suggest making wise choices... you will be paying quite some green for each item
In Canada, since all of those items are part of a package, it's a bit more difficult to seperate them and we don't have much choice...
But if we could, I'd defintely not choose the top view camera, and the tailgate. The sound system which I have (on a 28i) is perfectly enough as well...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #26
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I am finding, now that I'm settling into the vehicle as my daily driver that the top down camera option is awesome. It's easy to switch between just rear or top down, and being able to see the curb or parking lines is great!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #27
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I ordered the power liftgate because my 5-foot wife liked the idea.

I ordered PDC and Topview because, depending on the car, I can be a horrible parker - including curb scuffs.

I did not order the Premium sound system because my ears are already damaged by listening to too many premium sound systems at too high a volume for too many years. And, quite honestly, the quality of anything that I'm likely to play in the car isn't worth the upcharge.
Appreciate 0