BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

Connected Drive and Google Nexus 6P

Have a new Google Nexus 6P on Google FI network. Have it paired to the BMW X3 2016. Can't view SMS Text Messages or Emails on the Connected Drive OFFICE/MESSAGES. Worked fine with my Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T. Viewed both SMS Text messages and my email messages.

Anyone else have this phone and have it working for Text messages or email? I can see contacts so I know the bluetooth data is working.

Phone is on Android 6.0.1. Check bluetooth settings and messages is checked.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #2
honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

Replying in case I have similar issue.

I pick up my X3 tomorrow, and just got a 6P. Can we be friends?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ask your BMW Genius about it. Would love to know if anyone has it working so I know to keep troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #4
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I have SMS working (read and reply) but not email. I don't recall exactly what I did for SMS but I think there is some Bluetooth setting options for the device itself. Once the phone is connected, go to Bluetooth on your phone and view the options for your BMW connection. There is something for notifications/messages.
Not sure about email...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

On my Nexus 6P I have checked Phone Audio, Media audio, Contact Sharing, and Message Access. That are all my choices.

What version of Android are you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #6
Ylinen
Enlisted Member
Rep

BMW Genius Not

I filled a question of with the North America BMW Genius office.

They had NO data on the Nexus 6P.

Interestingly my son's Nexus 5X works for SMS messages. Not email.

Both have the same version of the operating system.

The 5X is made by LG and the 6P by Huawei.

I asked the Genius to send message up the channel that the Google Nexus phones should be tested and included on their web site.

I also asked that the UPDATE site for software be made and kept current.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

I have calling & music (no album art) through Bluetooth, as well as contacts. If I get a message I hear the notification but see nothing. So far no disconnecting issues

2016 x3 with iDrive 5.0 & Nexus 6p
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
make sure you have selected all messages, not just email or sms.

i have an issue with album art display, nothing shows up graphic wise even with radio.
Pandora works fine with bluetooth but no album art. i have galaxy note edge.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
knick
Rep
Drives: 1980 633CSi

I have a ton of problems with my 2016. Just recently drove a rented Ford Fusion for 3 days without any problems. I use Waze and Spotify at same time, though thru process of elimination determined that one or the other is not the source of issue, nor is switching between apps. I cannot find any pattern except perhaps screen timeout, see below for more on that.

Everything started out just fine when I got the car in October. For the last 4 months I have endless problems. They began 1 by 1 in the following order and now I rarely stay connected for more than 5 mins.

1st issue: spotify artist info would freeze. Music continued playing fine but the artist and song would remain the same and show no progression through the song. Changing artist or song but would still display the same as when it froze. No discernible cause, would just suddenly happen.

2: a month later the BMW controls would no longer allow me to hit next song, had to do from phone. Simetimes switching to radio and back to media resolved this.

3rd issue is that while playing music bluetooth just suddenly drops out. Phone shows still connected but on the dash the nexus is not paired. Go into connections and turn bluetooth off then on and it will pick up. After a few more minutes happens again. I am experimenting with keeping the screen and yesterday it did seem to stay connected until just after the screen timed out. I will ontinue this experiement.

4th issue: bluetooth drops out after receiving a call. The phone is still sending the call to bluetooth and the caller cant tell I'm gone. The bluetooth will usually reconnect after 30 seconds, but most often I just change the call output to speaker or handset.

All 3 of these issues continue. I just updated to Android 7 beta (Nougat) no improvement. Have been meaning to go to BMW for months but cant get there before the end of biz day and my saturdays are filled with less frustrating activities. This weekend will finally do it or leave work early today.

FWIW I checked for the BMW firmware update when I first got the car. I put in VIN and it said there was a new firmware. Have tried installing it many times and from diff drives and never had success, with a couple diff error messages received from the car upon attempting. I wonder if my attempting to update firmware is somehow related.

These are certainly rich people problems so I try to remain calm and listen to sirius.