BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I'm thinking it's time to become "scientific" about BMW Oil changes. I propose that we (this Forum's members) "take the bull by the horns" (and I do mean “BULL”) and settle this once and for all.

All we need are a few volunteers (at least three or four in each group to insure statistically significant results).

Please sign up here noting which group you’d like to volunteer to join:

Group A: Members of this group will follow BMW’s Condition Base Service recommendations to the letter. BMW brand oil only and changes only when the digital display says to do so.

Group B: Change oil every 5000 miles no matter what type of driving you do.

Group C: Change oil every 1000 miles “just to be safe”

Group D: Never change the oil; just add when it gets low.

Group E: Change the oil at random intervals determined by an on-line random number generator to select the change interval, the brand of oil, and the viscosity rating.

Everyone must keep and drive their vehicle for 250,000 miles and then report back. 1/(1000/(cost of repairs)) = a figure of merit of how effective each strategy is.
Actually there are a few reputable places you can mail your oil into for analysis. If you're that worried send your oil off to be analyzed at certain intervals to see how it stands up under your driving conditions.

Google it- this has been discussed at length for many years since BMW started it's maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #24
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
Actually there are a few reputable places you can mail your oil into for analysis. If you're that worried send your oil off to be analyzed at certain intervals to see how it stands up under your driving conditions.

Google it- this has been discussed at length for many years since BMW started it's maintenance program.
Blackstone Labs seems to be the most popular place for oil analysis.
      09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #25
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

yup, I concur
Appreciate 0