BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Got-BMW?
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Thinking about getting an 2012 X3 (questions?)...

Hello everyone,

Well the time has come that we may purchase a new car and am shopping the X3 M-sport. Just had a few questions, based on my searching and not coming up with the answers.

1) What is current production time frame from ordering to arriving at dealer (US)?

After searching I have seen anywhere from 3-5 months but those are mostly older threads. Are those estimates still current? The reason I ask is because we had a dealer tell us that since it's built in SC, they estimate 3-4 weeks (order to delivery)..

2) After answering #1, what is the Performance Center Delivery time?

I thought about surprising my wife with the Performance Center Delivery. How much does this change the build/availability ETA if we pick it up vs shipping to local dealer?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...CenterFAQ.aspx

3) I see BMW is currently running incentives ($500 on the X3)! Can you lock these in when you order or do you have to pickup the car before they expire (i.e. dealer stock)?

4) What is the latest on the OEM hitch?

I see that is has been released but seems like people are having a hard time getting the BMW specific kit. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...ight=OEM+hitch

For those that have it or installed it, what are your thoughts?
What are you towing and how much weight?
Seems the UK tow ratings are higher than the US ratings for the same vehicle.

5) Has anyone had any problems with the new X3?

6) Any complaints after purchase and if so would you buy something else?

Thank you and Merry Christmas!
      12-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

i ordered an x3 35i on 11/29, was offered a pcd slot for 1/13. can't comment on your other questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
jdmass
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive35i

1. I ordered on 11/29 and my X3 has been built already. I received the link to the video over the weekend and it is in the Finishing Touches stage on Track My BMW (last stage before At Your Dealer). I expect that it will make it to the dealer next week and I plan to pick it up after Christmas.

3. Incentives usually have fine print like "Must receive Delivery by ..." I believe that the current incentive expires Jan 3, 2012. So at this stage, it would be pretty hard to start an order and have it delivered by then. Of course the next incentive may be even better . Who knows?
Previous BMWs: 2000 528i, 2003 540i, 2007 335i Sedan, 2009 335i Sedan, 2012 X3 xDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

1) What is current production time frame from ordering to arriving at dealer (US)?

Seems to be about 4 to 6 week's but it really depends on the allocations your dealer has available.

2) After answering #1, what is the Performance Center Delivery time?

I picked mine up at the PDC about 3 weeks after production completed. I figured it would have taken about a week to get it to my dealer so I figure I waited an extra 2 weeks for PCD.

3) I see BMW is currently running incentives ($500 on the X3)! Can you lock these in when you order or do you have to pickup the car before they expire (i.e. dealer stock)?

not sure

4) What is the latest on the OEM hitch?

I have the OEM hitch installed. I made an appointment and was able to get it scheduled a week after I called. It cost me $1200 and I think it is a quality hitch. It integrates nicely with the PDC sensors and the backup camera. A new option gets added into iDrive to zoom on hitch. It makes it really easy to get hooked up to the trailer. I am using mine to pull a trailer and two snowmobiles. It pulls them without any problems.

5) Has anyone had any problems with the new X3?
No problems so far on my 2012 X3 35i. Picked it up October 31st.

6) Any complaints after purchase and if so would you buy something else? none so far and I really love my X3. This is my first BMW and I am very happy with my purchase.