BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
PGB
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Radio issues

Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced issues with their radio where it goes from working fine to high volume static without any user intervention (i.e. not changing stations or anything). It is fixed by changing stations and then back again.

I have the premium sound system and it is picking up all the stations in HD. I don't have the nav, satelitte stations or camera package.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Does it do it while you are stationary or moving? HD stations have a habit of dropping the signal quite quickly and then reacquiring.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
x3valk
Rep
Drives: m3 sedan

We have exactly the same problem with our 35i, no premium sound. Tried to explain the issue to the dealer and the only explanation we got was that the signal is not strong enough...well, how come a quick change in channels gets rid of the noise...not a big issue, more of an annoyance.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
PGB
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Happens when moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Does it do it while you are stationary or moving? HD stations have a habit of dropping the signal quite quickly and then reacquiring.
So this is potentially a HD radio issue, not a BMW radio issue? I haven't used HD radio before.

It doesn't happen often and is easily fixed by changing stations and back again, but still a pain.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGB View Post
So this is potentially a HD radio issue, not a BMW radio issue? I haven't used HD radio before.

It doesn't happen often and is easily fixed by changing stations and back again, but still a pain.
Not sure, but could be. When the station drops out, look up in the upper right corner of the idrive to see if the car is trying to reacquire it. If so it is weak transmission in that area. Like many things digital, it's all or nothing. I actually have one station that has two HD signals. I like the HD2 station but it's weaker and when it drops the car rolls over to the HD1. Believe me it's better some of the older HD BMW radios. In my wife's car, the AM HD voices change to something akin to "sharks in the water'; if you get my drift.

Last edited by Radioactive; 12-12-2011 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Not sure, but could be. When the station drops out, look up in the upper right corner of the idrive to see if the car is trying to reacquire it. If so it is weak transmission in that area. Like many things digital, it's all or nothing. I actually have one station that has two HD signals. I like the HD2 station but it's weaker and when it drops the car rolls over to the HD1. Believe me it's better some of the older HD BMW radios. In my wife's car, the AM HD voices changes to some akin to "sharks in the water'; if you get my drift.
+1 I see the same thing happen quite often....especially when I am on a HD2 station.....when it loses it the sound goes out and will try to acquire.....if it can't get it then it goes to the HD1 station.
Appreciate 0