BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Steering pump failure

So today I had a complete failure of the power steering system in my 10 day old X3. Bit disappointing to say the least. This is apparently an issue on X5 that have come from the same factory, but this is the first my dealership has seen with the X3s.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Your car has electric power steering with no fluids whatsoever, therefore you do not have a power steering pump at all. Completely different system from an X5. Which by the way was a supplier issue with a belt tensioner on diesels only. There have been a few cases of X3 electric power steering racks failing but it isn't common. This is why the manufacturer provides a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Another Forum member had a bad steering rack on delivery. Seems like a random component defect.
see:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=steering+rack

Should be a relatively easy fix once they get a replacement rack (the power assist is provided by a small electric motor built into the steering rack).

Obviously, check for basic steering alignment once the rack is replaced. The steering wheel should be perfectly centered when driving straight ahead, and there should be no "pull" to either side when driving on a flat road.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
andrewbmw
Rep
Drives: x3 28i

There is a recall on 2011 X3 steering last month and I think you car might suffer the same problem. Surprised that dealer didn't mention it to you.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...type=DrillDown

"
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 X3 PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 27, 2011, THROUGH JUNE 8, 2011. A CONTROL MODULE IN THE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) UNIT MAY MALFUNCTION, RESULTING IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE.
"

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarm View Post
So today I had a complete failure of the power steering system in my 10 day old X3. Bit disappointing to say the least. This is apparently an issue on X5 that have come from the same factory, but this is the first my dealership has seen with the X3s.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #5
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbmw View Post
There is a recall on 2011 X3 steering last month and I think you car might suffer the same problem. Surprised that dealer didn't mention it to you.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...type=DrillDown

"
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2011 X3 PASSENGER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM APRIL 27, 2011, THROUGH JUNE 8, 2011. A CONTROL MODULE IN THE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS) UNIT MAY MALFUNCTION, RESULTING IN A SUDDEN LOSS OF POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE.
"

Thanks for all the advice. Clearly this must be the issue. Wasn't made aware of this as I'm not in the USA and the recall isn't listed in australia

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/952885

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

You would think thet BMW could get this right, at least they are addressing the problem!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

smarm,

Here's a pic of what your power steering system looks like.
Nice and neat - only electrons and a little grease. No hydraulics - no hoses - no pumps - no belts.

Unfortunately, in your case, no steering boost!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0