BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

Stop start function

Does anyone know if there is some kind of interlock that prevents the engine from stopping and going to "park" when you are on the move. I often forget to de-select the stop start function (which I do not want) at the start of each journey and the on \ off switch is next to the start button.

What would happen if I innadvertantly pressed the engine stop button instead of de-selecting the stop start function at say 30MPH? Do all of you use this feature? I'm pretty sure using it will lead to excessive wear on the starter ring gear and starter itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta2 View Post
Does anyone know if there is some kind of interlock that prevents the engine from stopping and going to "park" when you are on the move. I often forget to de-select the stop start function (which I do not want) at the start of each journey and the on \ off switch is next to the start button.

What would happen if I innadvertantly pressed the engine stop button instead of de-selecting the stop start function at say 30MPH? Do all of you use this feature? I'm pretty sure using it will lead to excessive wear on the starter ring gear and starter itself.
Why don't you get your car coded so it remembers the last setting on the Stop/Start function- it will save you disabling it each time. Not sure if a UK dealer will do this for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #3
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

I never disable it. It might wear some of the components a bit more, but BMW put in beefier items where necessary so I'm not really worried about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

To answer the posters original question I don't believe the engine will switch off if you pressed the engine stop button whilst in motion however the manual should confirm.

I think its the same with pressing 'P' whilst in motion, again I do not expect it would cause the car to go into Park.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
To answer the posters original question I don't believe the engine will switch off if you pressed the engine stop button whilst in motion however the manual should confirm.

I think its the same with pressing 'P' whilst in motion, again I do not expect it would cause the car to go into Park.
It will shut off, as a safety feature in case you have a runaway vehicle situation. I think you have to hold the button for a couple seconds to get it to actually shut off though.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotta2

It won't jam into park. There is an ingenious mechanism where a pin can't slip into the lock until a slow enough speed is reached.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
rbtamms
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 and 2013 F25

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
At first, I was very annoyed by the start/stop engine feature of the X3 & I'm also thinking it will wear out the starter & battery easily. So, I always press the button to deactivate the stop engine. Until I complain to my dealer that I'm not getting enough fuel efficiency. The dealer found out that I'm not using the start/stop feature & my X3 is idling during stops. I told them about my concern & they told me that BMW added that feature as part of the fuel efficieny & BMW will not add it if it will cause a problem. I hope it will not, anyway I'm not an engineer & they know it better than us.
      12-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #8
scotta2
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY2013 F25 X3 M Sport

hmmm... the manual does have a disclaimer suggesting that this function may incur additional wear to components. What would worry me is that engines generally come to a stop from idle in roughly the same position. This will mean that the starter pinion will engage the flywheel ring gear in the same place causing it to wear prematurely. Should this occur the gearbox will need to be removed to replace a worn out flywheel ring gear as well as the starter. Time will tell but I remain sceptical about benefits of this system and will switch it off meantime either by the switch adjacent to the starter button or by using the brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbtamms
At first, I was very annoyed by the start/stop engine feature of the X3 & I'm also thinking it will wear out the starter & battery easily. So, I always press the button to deactivate the stop engine. Until I complain to my dealer that I'm not getting enough fuel efficiency. The dealer found out that I'm not using the start/stop feature & my X3 is idling during stops. I told them about my concern & they told me that BMW added that feature as part of the fuel efficieny & BMW will not add it if it will cause a problem. I hope it will not, anyway I'm not an engineer & they know it better than us.
This idiotic automatic start stop is analogous to coitus interruptus. This shit just ain't natural. You can quote me on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Jiyar
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3 2013 28i

One thing , if any of you don't want the stop start function works , just put the gear to neutral position after stop in traffic lights or temporal stops and the car won't turn off !
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Tato97
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

The car will shut off if you press accidentally the start/stop button by mistake. I have done that a couple of times. And since I really dislike the auto-stop function, I coded the vehicle to remember last option. Got that monkey off my back and I'm happy now, don't have to remember any more to disable it.

This is the only thing I don't like in an otherwise great vehicle.
Appreciate 0