BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Stop / Start tip

For those of us with Stop / Start......if you very slightly twitch the steering wheel the engine re-starts. I find this a nice feature so if you've not discovered it yet, give it a try!
      09-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
JordanWindebank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 20d (2011)

I usually just slightly depress the brake and let the engine start. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #3
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanWindebank View Post
I usually just slightly depress the brake and let the engine start. Easy.
You can do the same with the throttle; the brake pedal feels strange & hard with Auto-H on also I'd prefer not to flash my brake lights at the car behind. Anyway, we have at least 3 ways to start the engine to enable a quicker getaway, the steering wheel one seems the least known about.
      09-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
You can do the same with the throttle; the brake pedal feels strange & hard with Auto-H on also I'd prefer not to flash my brake lights at the car behind. Anyway, we have at least 3 ways to start the engine to enable a quicker getaway, the steering wheel one seems the least known about.
Question for those who have Start/Stop: Has anyone checked to see if the brake lights are turned on when the car is stopped in the "automatic stop" mode?

On NA spec X3s the brake lights stay on when stopped using "Auto-Hold", so tapping the brake pedal does not flash the lights; they're already on. Since we don't have Start/Stop [yet], I have no idea if that also triggers the lights when the engine is shut down.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Question for those who have Start/Stop: Has anyone checked to see if the brake lights are turned on when the car is stopped in the "automatic stop" mode?

On NA spec X3s the brake lights stay on when stopped using "Auto-Hold", so tapping the brake pedal does not flash the lights; they're already on. Since we don't have Start/Stop [yet], I have no idea if that also triggers the lights when the engine is shut down.
If Auto-H is on, when you stopped and the engine turns off, brake light remains on. (tho this is from the Auto-H feature)
If Auto-H is off, when you stopped and the engine turns off, your foot has to remain pressing the brake pedal, so the brake light is on. If you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car starts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
If Auto-H is on, when you stopped and the engine turns off, brake light remains on. (tho this is from the Auto-H feature)
If Auto-H is off, when you stopped and the engine turns off, your foot has to remain pressing the brake pedal, so the brake light is on. If you take your foot off the brake pedal, the car starts.
Thanks.
That sounds like the most reasonable arrangement, safety wise.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

You can also engage DS-mode by pushing the leaver to the left (on LHD-cars) to start the engine (also disables start/stop).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 03:30 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Does anyone know if you can control stop-start when auto-hold is switched on? I know you can stop it stopping the engine when auto-hold is off by not pressing the brake pedal too firmly. I like auto-hold but combined with stop-start it's a pain in traffic so I either don't use auto hold or switch off stop-start

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

The on/off switch for the start/stop is a bugger to see and I often have to lean forward and check for the orange light to check it is off.

The location of the button is a pain hidden behind the steering wheel and wonder if it was deliberate to encourage useage? Also the fact that it defaults to on each time you start the engine suggests you are wanted to embrace it.

I always have auto hold on (unless parking) and only ever use throttle to start up on the odd occasion the start/stop kicks in.

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Thanks to all with your hints. I was aware of the slight push on the accelerator, and a found out by accident about turning the wheel, but didn't know about the brake petal.

I agree with the comments about the location of button to turn off the stop/start - it is in an akward place. And its probably because of its location, I now leave it on by default and have gotten use to it. One thing I've noticed in recent days with a spell of warm weather, with the air-con on, the engine is restarting by itself much more often and sooner.

And yes, the auto-hold is brillant.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

It should remember the last setting that the key used really. I think most people would prefer that it did. Add it to the profile wish list along with remembering you were in Sport mode.

And yes, it's difficult to see although I know it's always on by default and have learnt to feel for it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0