BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
floralscent
Rep
Drives: silver x3

'07 X3 Low tire icon/button

I live in Mn and this will be my 1st winter with my X3. The temps have been in the 20's and 30's recently here. When I started the X3 the other day the low tire icon on the dash came on immediately. I checked the tire pressure with cold tires (which should be 32lbs according to the door plate) and all the tires were at 27lbs. Should I inflate them all or will the tires adjust when they warm up? I only drive about 5 miles round-trip to work so they don't really have a chance to warm up. I don't want to over inflate.

Also, I have been looking everywhere to find out what the tire with the exclamation point button near the gear shift does and can't find the info anywhere...not even the manual. Does anyone know what this button does?

Thanks-
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

The tires will not inflate on their own when it warms up, although it may seem like it.

Tire pressure readings drop when it is cold, so if you fill them up to 32 lbs now, they will have too much pressure when warm. However, you should be running the correct pressure, so this would probably be fine for winter.

The button should reset the TMPS system to the new tire pressures in the car, so you can simply reset the system and it will read the 27 lbs reading as the "new zero". Once the tire pressures move out of the range of deflection set into the system (like when it warms back up) the light will come on again.
      11-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
floralscent
Rep
Drives: silver x3

Thanks Bora20 for the advice-
Appreciate 0