BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
MFox_Iowa
Rep
Drives: '04 X3

'04 x3 3.0i Part throttle stumble/cutout

Idle can be sometimes not 'turbine smooth' but most of the time is okay. If the 'hammer' is put down to pass the engine runs fine, but if the pedal is mid-throttle 2-4,000 rpm the engine seems to cut in and out, stumble, etc.

This has been going on since 85,000 miles and it now has 112,000 miles on the vehicle. It is not consistent there are rare days when you wonder if the vehicle is going to just stop running.

It has been to two BMW dealers (several times, each) and one independent shop. Transmission fluid/filter, air filter, spark plugs, Mass Air flow replaced. Coils have checked out fine. It would seem that if the injectors were bad that a full throttle would not work well either. The next closest BMW dealer of any size is 200 miles away and do not really want to go through that with the usual response of ...'Sorry, without any codes we can not determine what is wrong'. Next thought is the O2 sensors (4), but really do not want to spend the money if there is no good results likely.

I called BMW Customer service, They only say to see the service manager for answers. The SMs answer collectively is no code, we have no idea. This is a known problem, but don't know the cause. This is a characteristic of these models. <REALLY!>

Any one experienced this and found a real solution. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you in advance for any assistance that may be provided.

Direct content Early_Iowa@Yahoo.com

mark fox
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

have you tried resetting the ECU - unplugging the battery for about a minute? these ecu's learn the driver's habits, and if the previous owner didn't drive the car hard, it will adapt to that person's driving habits.

I picked up an 07 3.0si x3 and noticed this stumble... it's annoying especially when the car's at the red light and the power "lags"... However, i've reset my ecu, and i feel that the x3 adapted to my driving habits, and it's more responsive. Hope it's as easy as that for you.
Appreciate 0