BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-12-2011, 07:54 PM   #23
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
tuco - get those badges off (we don't need no stinking badges) and get some film on the front!!
I really do need to get the film done, but hadn't heard back from the shop yet if they have the template (I need to call them admittedly).

One of my friends has de-badged his X3 35i but I don't mind them, and have never taken them off any of my cars.
      10-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #24
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport

We have ours booked in for next week. We are getting the entire front bumper, 18 inches of hood, mirrors, and bumper sill wrapped. Our guy prefers not to use a template; I hope the result is as good as yours Ledzep!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:54 AM   #25
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
I really do need to get the film done, but hadn't heard back from the shop yet if they have the template (I need to call them admittedly).

One of my friends has de-badged his X3 35i but I don't mind them, and have never taken them off any of my cars.
I didn't used to mind them, until they added the ultra-annoying "XDrive" banner to it. So very Toyota....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarka@csolve.net View Post
We have ours booked in for next week. We are getting the entire front bumper, 18 inches of hood, mirrors, and bumper sill wrapped. Our guy prefers not to use a template; I hope the result is as good as yours Ledzep!
He must be very skilled. Good luck!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #26
clarka@csolve.net
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 with M Sport

We got our X3 with M-sport back from the detailer last night and are very happy with the results. He used a product called Solargard which comes with a lifetime warranty. We had the full front bumper done including lights, 12 inches up the hood, front fenders, mirrors, and rear bumper sill done. The cost was $780. He did it custom without a template!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

So, aside from Xpel - what else is out there?

Anyone get anything from anyone else.

I know you get what you pay for but Xpel is on the expensive side and I'm not convinced the cost/benefit ratio is there when other products of quality are on the market as well...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
So, aside from Xpel - what else is out there?

Anyone get anything from anyone else.

I know you get what you pay for but Xpel is on the expensive side and I'm not convinced the cost/benefit ratio is there when other products of quality are on the market as well...
There are several brands of film, but as you point out they are not all of equal quality. Talk to an independant installer and ask about the choices, and why (s)he carries or recommends certain brands. It does not always come down to cost or profit for these folks, because if they are working with a poor product they will eventually see their business dry up.

3M makes good film, but the adhesive is prone to some yellowing.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #29
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Can the film ever be removed? Will it discolor in the sun after a few years?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #30
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
Can the film ever be removed? Will it discolor in the sun after a few years?
The film can be removed at any time (recommended that the pro does this though). Because the film is clear, it cannot discolor... and because the film is clear it also allows the paint underneath to fade at the same rate as the rest - more or less. I'm not sure if they put UV protection in the film. I tend to keep my film protected with wax, so it should be receiving roughly the same UV as the rest of the paint. Keeping in mind I have Alpine White. But I have seen a black M3 that had film on it for a few years, and you couldn't tell.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #31
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Just had mine clear bra'd. Mobile guy from Doza Designs. Great job. He used Venture Shield brand film. He mentioned Expel's Ultimate self healing film. You Tube it, the one where they put the film on a clock face, used a bbq metal brush to scratch it, and watch as it repairs itself ... it's insane ... you will be paying a lot more for it though.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #32
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep

I've done three so far on previous vehicles so I have no fear.

I just ordered M-sport bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, lights from cleardefender.com - they don't list it on their website but they have the Msport bumper in two different cuts.

Of the three films they offer I decided to try the Avery Nano (most expensive of the 3M and VentureShield)...

Will post pictures when arrives/applied/done.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #33
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

I was thinking of having it done at the dealer. Is that a waste of money? Not sure what they use or charge. It seems that it's the safest as far as not getting any chips on the front before the shield is applied but maybe they don't have the most experienced person doing it also. Too bad they don't do that right at Spartanburg. There must be some timeframe that the paint needs to cure before applying it though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

I have already been driving my car since May and it has a few marks from road debris. Can I still get the film installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I was thinking of having it done at the dealer. Is that a waste of money? Not sure what they use or charge. It seems that it's the safest as far as not getting any chips on the front before the shield is applied but maybe they don't have the most experienced person doing it also. Too bad they don't do that right at Spartanburg. There must be some timeframe that the paint needs to cure before applying it though.
Does your dealer offer this service? My dealer does, but they use a local installer (who happens to be my installer, that they discovered after he did such a great job on my E90 year ago). You might be better off getting a direct quote from the installer, since the dealer will want to make a few bucks on the deal. My advice is that if and when possible, you should have it done as soon as you can. Factory baked paint will not be affected by applying the film, so there is no reason to wait because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I have already been driving my car since May and it has a few marks from road debris. Can I still get the film installed?
You can, and it will certainly prevent further damage. But sometimes the film will actually accentuate any existing chips or marks... it might be worth doing some touch-up on them first.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #36
Bandit6
Migrant Worker in the Global War of Terrorism
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i sedan 07, X3 28i 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
There are several brands of film, but as you point out they are not all of equal quality. Talk to an independant installer and ask about the choices, and why (s)he carries or recommends certain brands. It does not always come down to cost or profit for these folks, because if they are working with a poor product they will eventually see their business dry up.

3M makes good film, but the adhesive is prone to some yellowing.
I'm getting quite a bit of conflicting info from two installers I've asked for an estimate. One uses VentureShield and applies it in his shop (not close BTW) and requires about 7 hours. The other uses 3M Scotchguard but does it in 3 hours wherever you car is (its a mobile shop). Both have years of experience and both claim their film is infinitely superior to the other. Both films are apparently made by 3M. The Scotchguard is about $200 more installed. Does anyone have any experience or insight to share as I wrestle with the choice? The mobile installation is definitely much more convenient. Thoughts?

Last edited by Bandit6; 11-02-2011 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:16 AM   #37
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep

personally, I would not do a mobile installation. It's the same whether it's window tint or clear paint protection- you want a clean/dust reduced environment to put the film on. Bubbles will come out over time, but debris caught under the film during install will be there forever.

A few people I talked to said the VentureShield stuff does not hold up well with time. The company I purchased my film from stated they've seen a lot of cracking and only recommend it for heavily garaged vehicles.

Its a tough decision, just make the best informed decision you can and go with it. Be sure whoever you go with is 3M "certified installer" to make sure you can cash in on the 5 year warranty against cracking on whatever you decide to get god forbid it happens.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #38
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i will be doing this as well
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #39
MJM
BMW CCA Boston Chapter - Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, ZCP

Quote:
I just had my X3 xDRIVE35i M-Sport (Carbon Black) completed by Rick at his Wakefield Shop and the outcome of his work was OUTSTANDING. I have had clear bras done on many of my BMWs of the years and this is the best ever. If you want to see it, I would be happy to show it to you as I live in Massachusetts as well.

Last edited by MJM; 10-30-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #40
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrack View Post
The factory paint is baked at the factory, so no need to wait.

If you're still interested in having it done, I am located in Wakefield, MA and offer clear bra as well. My installers are the best in the business, so feel free to send me a PM with any questions...

Here's a recent install on a BMW 1M using Xpel Ultimate film: http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...-clear-bra.htm
Thanks Rick but I've had my X3 now since February and decided not to do it. Maybe next vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #41
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

Just spent the day driving back from Vancouver - I have the whole hood wraped as I wanted some protection for when someone lifted the wiper blades. Installer gave me a good deal after his wife said "insted of installing small strips by the wipers why not wrap the whole hood - no lines..."
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #42
jsplayin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post
I just had my X3 xDRIVE35i M-Sport (Carbon Black) completed by Rick at his Wakefield Shop and the outcome of his work was OUTSTANDING. I have had clear bras done on many of my BMWs of the years and this is the best ever. If you want to see it, I would be happy to show it to you as I live in Massachusetts as well.
Just had mine re-done today after an accident. My first film was 3M by the dealer at time of purchase. This time also by Rick (at Unique Car Care in Wakefield, MA) with Xpel ultimate film. From initial observation I can say the Xpel film looks to be higher quality. The 3M has a slight orange peel look to it while the Xpel film looks no different than the surrounding paint. The install was different as well, my first film was a pre-cut while this is custom cut on the car (this made me nervous) but there are fewer seams, fuller coverage, and the film goes much closer to edges.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #43
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsplayin View Post
Just had mine re-done today after an accident. My first film was 3M by the dealer at time of purchase. This time also by Rick (at Unique Car Care in Wakefield, MA) with Xpel ultimate film. From initial observation I can say the Xpel film looks to be higher quality. The 3M has a slight orange peel look to it while the Xpel film looks no different than the surrounding paint. The install was different as well, my first film was a pre-cut while this is custom cut on the car (this made me nervous) but there are fewer seams, fuller coverage, and the film goes much closer to edges.
Thank you for sharing. Xpel then seems to be the better one currently: less orange peel look, self-healing.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #44
kglo
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

I just had my Alpine White X3 sealed with Optiguard yesterday - I didn't really want a piece of plastic on my car (I've done 3M Clearbra previously with my Audi A3 - it started to peel and was really visible).

Google Optiguard (or Opticoat) and see if that is an alternative for you guys - the results seems to be quite good on people that have had this done (lots of pics on the web). It provides a harder surface for BMW's notorious soft paint. The additional benefit is that it makes washing the car a lot easier and virtually eliminates the need for waxing (its good for lazy guys like me!). Also, the Optiguard can be added to all surfaces (except windshield and side mirrors for safety reasons) - so surface area wise, its pretty good protection.

If you are in the Toronto area - Bryan from concurstouch is who I went with and he did an amazing job and is fully insured to do this procedure - my X3 looked better than when it came off the lot. (Again, his reputation speaks for itself when you google his name)
Appreciate 0