BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #133
tr7372
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I didn't get the $350 storage package so that might explain things... Dumb move on my part as I didn't realize all the goodies for the "very" reasonable $350.
It doesn't appear to be a separate option in the US. It just comes as part of the premium package which I wanted for other reasons (comfort access, garage door opener, ambiance lighting, auto dimming mirrors, lumbar support). I'm not sure I would have ordered it separately, but now that I have it, I do like it and it is convenient.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #134
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
I didn't get the $350 storage package so that might explain things... Dumb move on my part as I didn't realize all the goodies for the "very" reasonable $350.
Don't fret, for the trunk hooks you can get this http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...cessories.aspx.

I know this is pretty ghetto but for extra storage in the front seats you could reuse small plastic containers. I have one for spare change and another one for receipts, they fit perfectly in the side bins plus it frees up the cup-holders
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #135
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I suppose that would work but you are right it does look kinda ghetto.

I went with a gum container for my change but it does use up one of the cup holders.

Apparently these gum containers are useful for other things too... http://www.practicalhacks.com/2009/0...his-container/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Don't fret, for the trunk hooks you can get this http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...cessories.aspx.

I know this is pretty ghetto but for extra storage in the front seats you could reuse small plastic containers. I have one for spare change and another one for receipts, they fit perfectly in the side bins plus it frees up the cup-holders
      06-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #136
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

This was from another post and I only wish I'd thought to toss it out here myself . . .

The fuzzy backing on the seatbelt receivers that prevent noise between the receiver and the center console. That's some attention to detail that shows the intent of BMW. They might not catch everything, they can't address the variety of personal preferences we all offer, but they intend to make a product that's something else. I'm convinced.
      06-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #137
GrumpII
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 28i

Surprised by nav

I have Navigation with live trafic update. While driving down a freeway it showed a long construction zone. when I reached it and before I came to a stop, The display under the tach said in bold yellow letters "TRAFIC JAM".
I was surprised to see that.
Bob Jones
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #138
snowboardjoe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpII View Post
I have Navigation with live trafic update. While driving down a freeway it showed a long construction zone. when I reached it and before I came to a stop, The display under the tach said in bold yellow letters "TRAFIC JAM".
I was surprised to see that.
Bob Jones
I, too, was surprised. Last Saturday we had one of the worst traffic days in downtown Seattle (major road closure, baseball game, Fremont festival and another major event). Nav did absolutely nothing to get me around it. It kept taking me into the worst part of it and I had to manually navigate several miles around the traffic mess/parking lot.

Not impressed.
      06-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #139
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Came up to a traffic light which changed rather unexpectedly and I decided to slam on the anchors rather than chance it...

We had a small loss off traction under sudden breaking, but then the X3 recovered composure and stopped sharpish. The whole thing was a bit unexpected, been driving the car for a week know and was starting to think the brakes were very lazy and the car a bit of a whale. I was quite surprised how well it handles when you slam the anchors.

It was then I notice the hazard warning lights

I looked round sheepishly as switched them off.

I sort of knew this, after all it is in the user guide, but nevertheless it was still a surprise!

It's sort of neat, however I am not sure it's helpful when you see a mobile radar gun as you come round the bend and you car waves suddenly at the copper to say look at me emergency breaking!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #140
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Yes, this feature is most desired by car jackers.

Also, for a nifty thrill, throw the shifter to the left into sport mode while parked and then turn the engine off...see what happens. Cool huh?
Neat!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #141
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

I was surprised to learn that there are so many features hidden from the users but can be enabled through coding. I used to forget closing the windows before locking the car and the only way to correct was to unlock the car, switch on ignition and roll windows up. But now after the coding, I can close the windows of locked car by just touching the handles. I am surprised why such features are kept hidden and away from the users.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #142
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

I bought music video DVDs and they were not working but i touched vol control knob by mistake and CD started playing. I tried the same trick on another DVD and it worked. What a surprize!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #143
bmwxthree
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 x3 28

When reversing with rearview camera on, press idrive knob to change from rearview to topview.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #144
0utlier
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive35i

Nobody mentioned it so maybe everyone knows... I didn't know though and was surprised when I saw it.

Not only is there a USB port in the center console, but there is one in the glove compartment too.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 12:01 AM   #145
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier View Post
Nobody mentioned it so maybe everyone knows... I didn't know though and was surprised when I saw it.

Not only is there a USB port in the center console, but there is one in the glove compartment too.
Glove compartment USB port is used to save profiles and songs as backups by iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #146
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Convertible, 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
The little green and red lights on the speedometer when using cruise control.
Yes, that is very cool!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:17 PM   #147
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Stream Pandora

Just figured out today that I can stream Pandora from my iPhone to the radio using bluetooth. The display even shows the artist and song title. Very cool. I was already impressed when I could stream the Car Talk podcast via bluetooth!

Haven't tried plugging the iPhone into the USB port yet, not sure why I would need to since everything seems to work ok using bluetooth.

Have no idea how to use the Office feature. Would love to figure out how to send end points from Google Maps to the Navigation system via email.

BMW needs user classes like Apple has!

Doug in NC
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #148
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Hey Doug, I use the usb port for charging my bb. That said, the car uses the bb as an external HD. Someone earlier posted that he plugged his usb HD into the car and got 500gb of music.
      06-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #149
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Doug, I use the usb port for charging my bb. That said, the car uses the bb as an external HD. Someone earlier posted that he plugged his usb HD into the car and got 500gb of music.
Forgot about using it to charge the phone. I'll need to check if I can control the music library with just the USB connection, of I need the special iPhone adapter.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #150
DouginNC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier View Post

I had no idea that there was another one in the glove box, I'll have to go check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #151
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouginNC View Post

Have no idea how to use the Office feature. Would love to figure out how to send end points from Google Maps to the Navigation system via email.

BMW needs user classes like Apple has!

Doug in NC
If you have registered with Connected drive and have a user name then:
From your laptop or PC open Google maps
Type in the place you want to send
At the side of the map there is a line of options with a drop down menu labeled 'more'
In this find 'send' and use the option 'send tocar'
I think the first time you use this you need to put your BMW user name in first, after that it remembers your car

Go to the car, open office and the location is there in messages ready for use by the NAV or even as a contact.

Less complicated than it looks in writing.

Hope that helps, its a great feature

Last edited by vojak; 06-28-2012 at 03:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #152
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Why can't I find the darn send button on google maps anymore? I've done it in the past with no problem. It isn't under "more". I feel like I've looked at every possible hiding place it could be. Ugh! What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #153
vojak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Why can't I find the darn send button on google maps anymore? I've done it in the past with no problem. It isn't under "more". I feel like I've looked at every possible hiding place it could be. Ugh! What am I missing?
Not sure? In the UK with a new car the connected drive feature is 'free' for 3 years. Maybe its different in the US and elsewhere? just guessing really.
After that I believe its a renew cost each year.....
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #154
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

One year included subscription in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vojak View Post
Not sure? In the UK with a new car the connected drive feature is 'free' for 3 years. Maybe its different in the US and elsewhere? just guessing really.
After that I believe its a renew cost each year.....
Cheers