BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Check Engine today

This morning when I left for work the car very briefly stalled and the check engine light came on.

During lunch I took the car to the dealership. I'm supposed to come in for my first service appointment in less than two weeks. I talked to one of the service reps, asked him for advice. He read out the key fob with a nifty little device he had at his desk but nothing. Then we went outside to the car and he checked the car's service menus. Nothing there either.

Finally he opened and locked the gas cap and asked me if I might have gotten stale gas possibly. He said gas could start to deteriorate within a month or so.

Possibly. After work - the check engine light was out then - I went to the place where I usually get my gas and the guy confirmed. At that Samsclub they don't sell a whole lot of 93.
      04-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

Did you lose power though and was your fan blasting full blast? because it might be something else.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #3
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

I did not lose power and my fan was blasting, yes.
      04-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

It could be the thermostat sensor or the transmission coolant chiller. It happened to mine as well and bring it back to the dealership when you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

There are litterally hundreds of reasons the "check engine" light will come out. That light is a default light for various conditions. The most notable is a problem with gasoline or oxygen sensors. Putting the keyfob in the "nifty little device" won't get you the code that threw the "check engine" light.

To get the code you'll need to have the code read by a diagnostic machine that will indicate the code. This can be done at the dealership or you can buy a code reader at your local auto parts store. As to what you can do if you get the code then I guess you'll need to have it serviced.

Cheers.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0