BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Latest IIHS headlight testing

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...rginal-or-poor

IIHS rated the 2017 X3 headlights marginal and the X5 headlights acceptable. If you look beyond the headlines, there are some more interesting details available.

The halogen headlights of the X3 were rated poor by IIHS. IIHS concluded for the halogen low beams
"On the straightaway, visibility was inadequate on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was inadequate in all 4 tests. The low beams never exceeded glare limits."

The Xenon headlights and the LED headlights were both rated marginal for the X3. The Xenon actually appeared in some tests to provide acceptable light levels at somewhat greater distances than the LED headlights in the X3. The Xenon and LED headlights appeared similar to the X5 light pattern for the corresponding light type, but the X3 headlights were downgraded due to "some glare" for oncoming drivers while the X5 headlights were not found to exceed glare limits.

This is what the IIHS said about the Xenon low beams for the X3:
"On the straightaway, visibility was good on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was good on both right curves and fair on both left curves. The low beams created some glare."

This is what the IIHS said about the LED low beams for the X3:
"On the straightaway, visibility was fair on both sides of the road. On curves, visibility was fair on both right curves and inadequate on both left curves. The low beams created some glare."

Here are the high beam summaries for Xenon and LED lights on the X3.
Xenon high beams:
"On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and fair on the left side. On curves, visibility was good on the gradual right curve and fair on the sharp right and both left curves."
LED high beams
"On the straightaway, visibility was good on the right side of the road and inadequate on the left side. On curves, visibility was fair on the gradual right and both left curves and inadequate on the sharp right curve. High-beam assist compensates for some limitations of this vehicle's low beams on the straightaway and all 4 curves."
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

this might be due to retrofitting for US DOT?

I wonder if the housing is same for other markets.

I got my other BMW re-coded for 'euro' automatic LED and it is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #3
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
I have a Gran Coupe with adaptive Xenons plus an X3. Memory is failing me with the X3...do they not turn with the steering wheel? (I rarely drive the thing as it's wife.com's truck).......
      06-13-2017, 09:09 PM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
I have a Gran Coupe with adaptive Xenons plus an X3. Memory is failing me with the X3...do they not turn with the steering wheel? (I rarely drive the thing as it's wife.com's truck).......
Yes, adaptive Xenon headlights are available with the X3. This is what the BMW USA web page says about lighting options:

"Illuminate the road and enhance visibility with Xenon Adaptive or Adaptive Full LED headlights. Including low and high beams, daytime running lights and more, these innovative headlights also corner with you so you can see what’s ahead."
Appreciate 1
CalCarNut1060.50
      06-14-2017, 02:40 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

The adaptive Xenon lights for BMWs in the UK are excellent. Far superior to the Halogen headlights.

The adaptive system in the UK is the same as the US Volvo report that I have copied and pasted below.

The XC60 is available with optional curve-adaptive HID projector headlights, which earn the top rating. Curve-adaptive headlights swivel with the steering wheel to better illuminate bends in the road. The XC60's HID headlights also can be purchased with optional high-beam assist, which helps increase high-beam use by automatically switching between high beams and low beams depending on the presence of other vehicles. Models equipped with high-beam assist earn extra credit in IIHS ratings. Consumers who want the good-rated HID headlights on the XC60 need to buy the Advanced package or the Active Dual Xenon Headlights package

Is the above not available to BMW X3 purchases in the US?
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Ol' Fart
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3, 28d, Mineral White

I agree with the testing. My car came with the halogen headlights and they absolutely suck ! I have updated with aftermarket bulbs which helped some, but they still are not what I would consider adequate.

2019 BMW 430 XI Grand Coupe, White, Black leather interior

2016 BMW X3, 28d, Mineral White metalic, Oyster Nevada leather interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Fart View Post
I agree with the testing. My car came with the halogen headlights and they absolutely suck ! I have updated with aftermarket bulbs which helped some, but they still are not what I would consider adequate.
I cannot understand why BMW insist on fitting Halogen headlights to the X3 when it is supposed to be a premium SAV. Suck is an understatement. They are diabolical.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907433.00