BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #1
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral

Question Seat Cover Alternatives

I've got Oyster leather, and I love it, but at almost 1600 miles now, I'm already starting to see a slight discoloration from my jeans rubbing against the first ridge of the sport seats from getting in and out a lot. I see BMW sells a black or beige cloth cover, but was wondering if anyone found a good alternative that would match the oyster better... or if you have the ones for the 2011 X3 how do you like them?

Doing a search on google I see there are some sheepskin oyster, and other cover alternatives out there, but they are pretty generic for a lot of cars and not sure how any of those would fit the sport seats. I really only think I need something for at least for the driver's and maybe passenger seat bottoms, not nessesarily the backrests.

After taking a trip this week thru the mountains and doing some hiking etc, I'd really like something I can slip on the seats to help ease the cleaning needed later after outings like these.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Here is a picture of my BMW covers. Going mtn biking this AM so I put them on. It took less than 4 minutes to install. They are not the best fitting but they do job! I'm no color maven but since you have black carpeting the black covers may not look to bad.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I spent four years with a Lemon interior (very similar to Oyster, but yellowish hue rather than the blue/gray hue of Oyster), and after four years I was pleased that they held up very well, with only very reasonable care and maintenance. That said, I did notice that the lowest panel of the backrest was the most succeptible to staining from my leather belts and jeans. I always gave that area more attention, but it was the most challenging.

These seat covers seem decent, especially if they are easy to slip on and off. I agree that the black would look okay in the Oyster interior because it really is a two-tone scheme with black anyway.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabian View Post
I've got Oyster leather, and I love it, but at almost 1600 miles now, I'm already starting to see a slight discoloration from my jeans rubbing against the first ridge of the sport seats from getting in and out a lot. I see BMW sells a black or beige cloth cover, but was wondering if anyone found a good alternative that would match the oyster better... or if you have the ones for the 2011 X3 how do you like them?

Doing a search on google I see there are some sheepskin oyster, and other cover alternatives out there, but they are pretty generic for a lot of cars and not sure how any of those would fit the sport seats. I really only think I need something for at least for the driver's and maybe passenger seat bottoms, not nessesarily the backrests.

After taking a trip this week thru the mountains and doing some hiking etc, I'd really like something I can slip on the seats to help ease the cleaning needed later after outings like these.
I have ivory (=white) leather in my Z4 that is a daily driver, which includes trips to/from the gym, lumber yard, etc. The only issue I ever had was dye from jeans, and it wiped off immediately. So unless you want seat covers, I'd suggest merely wiping off the dye stain once and a while. I got it off with Lexol, but other's suggest a woolite/water mix. Disclaimer: I only own one pair of jeans, so this isn't a common occurrence with me. If there was a real issue, I'd ditch the jeans before resorting to seat covers on a nice car...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I find some humor in this thread, given there were multiple queries about getting the light colored leathers and some of us said "don't"; and now, we have to resort to (god forbid), seat covers....!!!
      06-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone, thanks for the pics Radioactive!

Hey I'm wondering what the underside of those covers are like. I agree having the black would look good with the oyster, but since they are black I'm wondering if that color could rub off on the underside just like a pair of black jeans sitting there. Hopefully that material dosen't do that?
Do they sell those covers separately or do they come in a pair?

BTW having the oyster is worth it for me, I love the 2 tone contrast, it brightens up the interior and so far seems like the car gets a less hot inside on hot days compared to other cars I've had with all black. If I had to reorder I'd still go with the oyster. The only problem I've had is if you go hiking, camping, sitting on rocks by the river or dirt even then getting back into the car, but so far it cleans right off so it's not a major problem by any means, but if I have a seat cover on when I do outings I think it would just be less to clean later on. I think a lot of the problem for me is because the car is brand new and I don't want to see it get dirty, but I know if the leather quality is good it should last for years if maintained.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Wouldn't that be ironic if the seat covers ruined the leather?

I think they are probably a nylon or polyester material, maybe a cotton blend. Radioactive should be able to shed some light.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
Sabian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To rephrase my question above...

When you order the seat covers it says "seat vest pair" 95 bucks.

Does that mean just one seat cover for that price with the a single seat/vest paired or is it a pair of complete seat covers for both seats for that price?

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...FRFtgwodzHc3iQ
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Both seats.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #10
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Wouldn't that be ironic if the seat covers ruined the leather?

06-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

can you get these in the UK?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

You know I really hesitated about posting on this thread about the seat covers. But, I thought the good thing about these forums is providing helpful information to each other, not constantly commenting on something so subjective as one's taste or needs. Unlike most of you, my vocation and avocations dictate that I wear real work clothes, not designer jeans or dress clothes. I don't want to clean car seats every night.

That being said, Sabien, Ledzep is correct, they are sold in pairs. The outer facing material seems to be a heavy nylon, like a D600. The underside is much smoother, may even be a rubberized backing. As far as color transfer I didn't pay much attention to it since I have black on black. But, I just noticed there is a tag with instructions on how to treat the covers for color transfer prevention.

If you want them off, they come off quicker than they go on.

Last edited by Radioactive; 06-17-2011 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #13
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
You know I really hesitated bout posting on this thread about the seat covers. But, I thought the good thing about these forums is providing helpful information to each other, not constantly commenting on something so subjective as one's taste or needs.
Hey it still beats whatever benzworld or one of the major MB forums churns out. I remember a sticky thread on one of them where people post pictures of hot women who happen to be standing next to their car. Some guy even posted a crag's list ad for someone to model for them so they could post in the thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
If you want them off, they come off quicker than they go on.
So, in other words - they are made of prom dress material.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
So, in other words - they are made of prom dress material.
That was funny!