BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-22-2022, 07:56 PM   #1
TheM3Boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

120208 - Plausibility pressure too high

I have an F25 with the notorious N20 engine. Recently I had the timing chain kit done on the car and right after that I started getting 120208 - Plausibility pressure too high
It happens only on the highway and I can reproduce it consistently now. If the engine stays around 2500 rpm for about a minute, it triggers the code and the car goes in limp mode. Turning off the engine and back on returns it to normal and you can continue driving. If the engine is kept around 2000 rpm, it can last maybe 10-15 minutes before it triggers the same condition.

The guys who did the job said that after they did the chain kit, it was throwing "Pressure too low" code and they patched a vacuum line which had some punctures in it.

Also after the timing chain job I can hear this whining noise, it sounds like the turbo and I am afraid it might be on it's way out.
This link is to an audio file which isn't very good quality but you can still hear the whining I am talking about.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 08:49 PM   #2
TheM3Boy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

The problem in my case was the pressure valve which is located just under the engine cover. It had oil dripping from it. I found a used one just to test and it did resolve the issue, but it looks like the vacuum pump will need to be replaced as well as this is what's causing the boost solenoid to fail.

Hope that helps someone having the same issue!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 08:12 PM   #3
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM3Boy View Post
The problem in my case was the pressure valve which is located just under the engine cover. It had oil dripping from it. I found a used one just to test and it did resolve the issue, but it looks like the vacuum pump will need to be replaced as well as this is what's causing the boost solenoid to fail.

Hope that helps someone having the same issue!
Did you end up replacing the vacuum pump? Cause I'm having oil in the lines and I'm considering if I should just keep driving it till the vacuum pump gives out or replace it now...
Appreciate 0