BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-27-2022, 04:16 AM   #1
Vidhuz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Need help in resetting engine maintenance light and next steps suggests

Hi everyone,

Hope you’ve been doing well.

My wife has a BMW X3 2017 M-Sports edition.

Few days ago she got a warning on dash that Adblue is low. She usually gets it filled from the BMW service centre itself. This time she got it from a fuel station and filled herself.

The Adblue was of specification ISO 22241-1, which according to her should be the right one for Diesel based BMWs.

Just a couple of days later, she started to see engine maintenance sign (attached). She got a little panicked. I did a bit of research and ordered a OBD BT adapter and bought Bimmerlink app to check the error codes.

In the Error Memory, it is showing

Error Code: 2DC500
Error Description: Lambda probe afer catalytic converter, heating control: interruption
Error Status: Error present and stored
Error Severity: Error would cause a warning indicator

We tried to clear the Error Memory. It
* clears this error
* but rescanning using Bimmerlink right away picks this error again but the Error Severity changes to "Error would not cause a warning indicator"

After restarting the engine, the engine check indicator reappears and the error severity again shows "Error would cause a warning indicator".

There is no error is the "Permanent Error" memory even after multiple scans.

* Are we resetting the engine check indicator the correct way?
* Could it be something serious? Can she still drive or it's an absolute no?

At multiple places we checked, loose gas cap was mentioned as one of the early suspects - we looked and it looked fine.

The car is out of warranty now and we are worried that BMW will charge heftily so we are thinking of taking it to a local garage as well. Also, as per BMW they can provide loan car around 3 weeks from now. This would cause a lot of trouble since there is only 1 car/driver in the house.

We are quite noobs at this. Would be really great to have some inputs/insights on what we should do next.

Thanks for your help in advance.

TLDR; Engine maintenance light is on a couple of days after filling Adblue. What should we do next?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 06:33 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

The lower image is not an engine maintenance warning light. It is the Check engine Warning light that is associated with the OBD II mandate of 1996.

This light indicates that a sensor or sensors have registered a fault that indicates an emissions error. Since you are new to Bimmerlink…you may be trying to clear the CEL (check engine light) in the wrong area. Insert your adapter into the OBD II port and reopen the BimLink app and look under one of the other selections that allow you to reset codes.

But do realize that “clearing a code” is not a fix. If the fault or issue is still 5here…clearing/resetting the fault is NOT a fix…the warning will return if the issue is still there.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/attac...1&d=1661591167

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 09:25 PM   #3
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Maybe this will help:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0