BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
R29AES
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Harsh Shifting when hot between 1st and 2nd Gear

Hi all,

First post on here so any help is much appreciated. I have a 2017 F25 X3 2.0d with the 8 Speed auto. Now I’m not sure but I think this fault has started after I have recently fitted x4 tyres but cannot be 100%. Basically when the car has been driven for about 15 mins when you come to a standstill and pull away it bangs between 1st and 2nd gear. I have used manual mode and it’s does it also so I know it’s that gear selection. The tyres are the correct size as were the same as previous but the tread depths are obviously higher due too being new. I am an ex BMW tech but I left the industry in 2008 so not much knowledge on the X drive cars. The car has been spot on for two years and strange how now I have replaced the tyres it has suddenly started happening. Like I say any info is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

This sounds more like an issue with the transmission and/or transfer case - I would be checking for proper fluid levels, etc. particularly in the transmission.

FYI, below is the X-drive tire specs...this is from the BMW TIS. - Good luck/Bill

newTIS
Home / BMW F25 X3 xDrive20d SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 36 Wheels with tyres / 36 12 Tyres /
36 12 ...Notes and specifications for tyre / wheel exchange
General:

The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be the same on one axle
To meet the BMW standards, the vehicle should be equipped with tyres from the same manufacturer and with the same tyre tread (tyres approved by BMW) on all 4 wheels
The difference in tyre tread depth on one axle must not exceed 2 mm (control quality of suspension control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
The tyres with the higher tread depths must be mounted on the rear axle
The DOT age difference must not exceed 4 years
The tyre pressure must be adjusted when the tyres are exchanged
Wheel exchange between the axles

The wheels may be exchanged between axles to achieve even abrasion. However, BMW does not recommend switching the front wheels to the rear or vice-versa.

The wheel exchange may lead to the following customer complaints:

complaints regarding acoustics
Risk of increased lane groove sensitivity
Compliance with the following requirements is required when exchanging wheels between the axles:

Assess the wear pattern
The tread difference between the front and rear wheels must not exceed a maximum of 2-3 mm
Exchange the wheels between the axles every 5000 Km

Additionally for all-wheel drive vehicles:

The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be identical on all wheels; different tyre sizes between front and rear axles are only permissible if mixed tyres are fitted.
The tyre tread difference between tyres in all wheel positions must not exceed 2 mm (normal quality of the wheel control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:16 PM   #3
R29AES
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the info. I will check the transmission and transfer box level soon and see what the outcome is. Hopefully it is something simple. It is such a strange fault as when it’s cold it is smooth. I will update when I have any news. Thanks
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      08-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by R29AES View Post
Thanks for the info. I will check the transmission and transfer box level soon and see what the outcome is. Hopefully it is something simple. It is such a strange fault as when it’s cold it is smooth. I will update when I have any news. Thanks
You say you fitted 4-tyres. If they are OE spec' and star marked, it shouldn't be caused by tyres.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #5
R29AES
Registered
Rep

I bought Accelera PH2 all round as they are were recommended on the X5 forums and have a good review for the price. Surely tyres can’t cause the issue once it gets warm.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R29AES View Post
Hi all,

First post on here so any help is much appreciated. I have a 2017 F25 X3 2.0d with the 8 Speed auto. Now I’m not sure but I think this fault has started after I have recently fitted x4 tyres but cannot be 100%. Basically when the car has been driven for about 15 mins when you come to a standstill and pull away it bangs between 1st and 2nd gear. I have used manual mode and it’s does it also so I know it’s that gear selection. The tyres are the correct size as were the same as previous but the tread depths are obviously higher due too being new. I am an ex BMW tech but I left the industry in 2008 so not much knowledge on the X drive cars. The car has been spot on for two years and strange how now I have replaced the tyres it has suddenly started happening. Like I say any info is much appreciated.

I had this same symptom you are describing plus harshness during the down shift. I reset the adaptations in ISTA/D and while some of the harshness went away, it was still noticeable and not smooth as it should be.
Here is how I fixed it...

Allow 30 mins to an hour for this whole procedure.

In the morning when the transmission is cold and probably the most harsh;

1-Press the accelerator pedal until you feel a click on your feet and leave it
there.

2-Turn on the ignition but DO NOT PRESS the brake pedal.

3-Allow 30 Seconds to lapse.

4-Turn off the car but DO NOT let off the accelerator pedal just yet and wait
for 3 seconds.

5-Release the accelerator pedal.

6-Lock the car and walk away for 15 minutes and allow the car to fully sleep.

After I did this, the transmission felt super smooth and no more harshness upshifting and downshifting. Hopefully, it will work for you too...
Appreciate 0