BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
nkcavs23
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive35i

Is this accurate? - Service miles readings

So every time I get in my car when it shows how many miles until my next service it never changes, I have put about 1,200 miles on it and it has 27,000 now. It has said 3100 miles until my next service since the day I got it (and sometimes 1100 miles for whatever reason?)

The guy at the dealership sent me this when I asked what was up, "Just talked to our service department and the sensor on the brakes reads differently than the oil indicator. You will reach a point when it drops significantly, as in a couple thousand miles potentially, because that sensor actually takes a cut reading. It is normal for that and occurs that way in every BMW vehicle."

Can anyone confirm this for me please?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #2
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkcavs23 View Post
So every time I get in my car when it shows how many miles until my next service it never changes, I have put about 1,200 miles on it and it has 27,000 now. It has said 3100 miles until my next service since the day I got it (and sometimes 1100 miles for whatever reason?)

The guy at the dealership sent me this when I asked what was up, "Just talked to our service department and the sensor on the brakes reads differently than the oil indicator. You will reach a point when it drops significantly, as in a couple thousand miles potentially, because that sensor actually takes a cut reading. It is normal for that and occurs that way in every BMW vehicle."

Can anyone confirm this for me please?
The warning shows the closest service, the brake sensors are notoriously poor and often stick like this as the countdown has gone to fast.

You can check in the I drive for which item it is showing as next but my guess is brakes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
nkcavs23
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northandy View Post
The warning shows the closest service, the brake sensors are notoriously poor and often stick like this as the countdown has gone to fast.

You can check in the I drive for which item it is showing as next but my guess is brakes.
Yeah it was brakes but how are you supposed to know for someone in my situation. For all I know it could have been saying 3100 miles until your next service for like 10,000 miles by now lol
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkcavs23 View Post
Yeah it was brakes but how are you supposed to know for someone in my situation. For all I know it could have been saying 3100 miles until your next service for like 10,000 miles by now lol
On my last car a 1 series the car was saying 3,000 to front brakes from when the car had 20k on the clock, after 3 years the car had done 75,000 miles and still hadn't needed new front brakes.

It was reset twice at service and counted down to 3k again each time and then stayed there
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
nkcavs23
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northandy View Post
On my last car a 1 series the car was saying 3,000 to front brakes from when the car had 20k on the clock, after 3 years the car had done 75,000 miles and still hadn't needed new front brakes.

It was reset twice at service and counted down to 3k again each time and then stayed there
So what you're saying is, I'm on my own? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 10:59 AM   #6
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I had exactly this in my X1 .. Just kept saying 3k miles for rear brakes

I checked the brakes myself visually and loads of depth

Got the dealer to check it out and they said the brakes were fine ( which I knew) and that it was a software fault and they wanted £155 to reset so it would then show 30k miles ... I politely declined

Checking your brakes is very easy and you can see how thick the pads are and whether there is any scoring on the discs .. Always do this before service and a regular intervals

The service tech said these software faults are very common

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
ReturnZero
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Basically they assume you drive the vehicle like a gorilla and hold your foot on the brake all day and obliterate your brake pads. The computer in all actuality has no idea how much life is left in the pads, it only knows when the sensor is tripped and they're too low, so at some point it will go from 3100 miles to SERVICE NOW when the sensor trips.

Mine has said 3100 miles for about 10k now on front and rear pads. Just ticked over 60k.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
nkcavs23
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
Basically they assume you drive the vehicle like a gorilla and hold your foot on the brake all day and obliterate your brake pads. The computer in all actuality has no idea how much life is left in the pads, it only knows when the sensor is tripped and they're too low, so at some point it will go from 3100 miles to SERVICE NOW when the sensor trips.

Mine has said 3100 miles for about 10k now on front and rear pads. Just ticked over 60k.
So just hang tight until the sensor trips below the service required threshold
Appreciate 0