BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
LeeAC
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Windshield wiper annoyance

Ok maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like my windshield wipers only go SUPER FAST or slow.

I have a 2014 28i X3 with several packages. My options seem to be:

1) Automatic wiping button - too slow and collects a lot of water on the windshield before wiping
2) Pressing the wiper handle UP once (not a hard UP) and getting too fast.

The scroll button on the wiping handle (which I think is supposed to control the speed?) is set to the lowest setting (all the way down) but I tested it this morning and moving the setting did not adjust the wipers at all.

Is it possible my scroll button just doesn't work and my wipers can only go fast?

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAC View Post
Ok maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like my windshield wipers only go SUPER FAST or slow. ... Is it possible my scroll button just doesn't work and my wipers can only go fast?
I've never had that problem on our 2011, 2012, or 2015 X3s, LeeAC, but if you've tried all of the settings with ample water hitting the windshield to trigger the wiper action (perhaps using a hose so that variable can be controlled), then perhaps a trip to your Service Center can identify the problem. Keep us posted if you can.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

I've always thought the wipers on automatic had a mind of their own. Sometimes for no apparent reason they would start swiping super fast and finally slow down but sometimes I had to take them off automatic and it sort of reset the wiper brains.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Dodgy gel pack? (Part of the sensor behind the mirror - I had my windscreen replaced and the gel pack is not OEM so I found my wipers less sensitive as a result). You should still have 3 options - auto, slow and fast though.
      12-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

The scroll wheel on the stalk does not control speed, it controls the sensitivity of the rain sensor, downward is the most sensitive. One push up of the stalk will activate low speed, one more push is fast speed. Push the button on the side again and it goes back to rain sensing mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
LeeAC
Private
Rep

Quote:
The scroll wheel on the stalk does not control speed, it controls the sensitivity of the rain sensor, downward is the most sensitive. One push up of the stalk will activate low speed, one more push is fast speed. Push the button on the side again and it goes back to rain sensing mode.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I think my "low speed" is still pretty fast. I think I'm just not used to it compared to my Honda which had a delay between wipes. the "low speed" is pretty much continuous wiping. I was hoping to have a setting with a 3-5 sec delay between wipes but I will just have to get used to it!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification. I think my "low speed" is still pretty fast. I think I'm just not used to it compared to my Honda which had a delay between wipes. the "low speed" is pretty much continuous wiping. I was hoping to have a setting with a 3-5 sec delay between wipes but I will just have to get used to it!
There is no intermittent function on the BMW wipers, my old Audi had choice between rain sensing wipers and intermittent wipers. The low speed wiper is speed sensitive, if you are on low speed and come to a stop, it will become intermittent.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Quote:
Ok maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like my windshield wipers only go SUPER FAST or slow.

I have a 2014 28i X3 with several packages. My options seem to be:

1) Automatic wiping button - too slow and collects a lot of water on the windshield before wiping
2) Pressing the wiper handle UP once (not a hard UP) and getting too fast.

The scroll button on the wiping handle (which I think is supposed to control the speed?) is set to the lowest setting (all the way down) but I tested it this morning and moving the setting did not adjust the wipers at all.

Is it possible my scroll button just doesn't work and my wipers can only go fast?

I'm pretty sure the scroll button is sensitivity for the auto wipers. If it's all the way down you pretty much won't be able to see before it wipes (i.e. not sensitive). I have mine all the way up (most sensitive) and it auto wipes when there's only a few drops of rain.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

You're absolutely right aedeau. That is how it is suppose to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
LeeAC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedeau View Post
I'm pretty sure the scroll button is sensitivity for the auto wipers. If it's all the way down you pretty much won't be able to see before it wipes (i.e. not sensitive). I have mine all the way up (most sensitive) and it auto wipes when there's only a few drops of rain.

I tried to adjust this today (rain, lucky me) and it made no difference to sensitivity. Thanks for the input - I'm going to ask the service center to check mine next time i go in.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:07 PM   #11
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Need to test mine, leave it in Auto and works fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I tried to adjust this today (rain, lucky me) and it made no difference to sensitivity. Thanks for the input - I'm going to ask the service center to check mine next time i go in.
The sensitivity real do not change that much with the knob, but if I remember right, up is the most sensitive, please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by The X Men; 12-10-2014 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

Never had a BMW before but use the Auto mode mostly. However I was surprised how slow position 2 was - I have an LCI. The stalks don't have clicky positions so I assume I press up twice to get fastest speed?

Also rear wiper only has intermittent wipe from what I can see? Also it seems that I have to turn on and off again to get the rear wiper functional again after turning car off even if left in on position.

Again might be not used to BMW's... so any advice appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #14
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Rear wiper has intermittent wipe but when the car is in reverse gear it switches to continues wipe
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 06:08 AM   #15
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziba View Post
Rear wiper has intermittent wipe but when the car is in reverse gear it switches to continues wipe
Understood but it is a little annoying that if the wiper switch is rotated into on position and left there it doesn't automatically put the rear wiper on when you restart. You have to turn switch on and off to get working again... #firstworldproblem
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Ziba
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

I can see bounderboy that you have LCI model of the X3 so I really am not sure how it works in your car. I've got 2011 and I have to push the leaver down to start the rear wiper and the leaver stays in that position but to tell you the truth I have never checked if it works after I shut the car off and start it again. I will check that later though.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #17
test0703
JJK0703
United_States
Rep

Rain Sensing Wipers are a Joke!

It is actually quite comical how bad the rain sensing wipers are on my BMW X3. Any modern car company would be embarassed to provide a feature that works this badly. Intermittant wipers are obviously the way to go today, since therain sensing ones don't work, period
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #18
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Has worked well for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 07:38 AM   #19
Randeyman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i (F25)

Similar wiper speed issues

My 2013 2.8 X3 has similar issues concerning wiper speed and a "mind of their own". I generally use the auto sensing feature - and that works well about 50% of the time. Sometimes it slows down and I can't see - causing me to manually flick on the control stalk and sometimes it starts getting faster and faster even when the rain or my car speed havent really changed. When that happens, I just turn it off and back on. It then seeks to be OK (at least for a while)

My bigger complaint is with the wiper blade designs themselves. The driver side wiper cannot seem to totally get rid of the water on the down stroke, it ALWAYS leaves a big streak of water at the end of the blade - right down the middle of the windshield. The passengers side wiper does not do that!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 08:41 AM   #20
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

I have a trick for when you place it into auto. When the auto mode has a mind of its own, change the sensitivity when it is auto by going from one extreme to the other and back on the sensitivity scroll and then set it to where you want it and that fixes it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #21
LeeAC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by test0703 View Post
It is actually quite comical how bad the rain sensing wipers are on my BMW X3. Any modern car company would be embarassed to provide a feature that works this badly. Intermittant wipers are obviously the way to go today, since therain sensing ones don't work, period
I agree. I'm pretty disappointed with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #22
LeeAC
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mge.92 View Post
I have a trick for when you place it into auto. When the auto mode has a mind of its own, change the sensitivity when it is auto by going from one extreme to the other and back on the sensitivity scroll and then set it to where you want it and that fixes it all the time.
Thanks, I'll try this.
Appreciate 0