BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2017, 03:40 AM   #1
Alanyu
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D

X3 oil fillter install

Hi Bimmers,

I just got another silly question, when I do the oil change for my X3,
1, I push oil filter into the guide bore in the filter housing first (3 to 1), then I tighten the cover. However, I found many oil leaking after two days. I checked sealing rings been installed correctly, cannot figure out how oil comes out from the oil filter.

2, then I tried to attach the filter to cover first ( 2 to 1, you can feel a click inside of the cover), then put it into oil filter housing. Oil leaking getting much better but still have few drops

I just wonder if there anyone has experienced this situation before? which method is correct?

Cheers,
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  221.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
The materials I consulted indicate the new filter is first installed in the oil filter cover. Below is a link to a video showing an oil change on a BMW N55 engine.

You may have a damaged or defective sealing ring on the oil filter cover. Also, double check that this ring is in the correct groove. O-ring problems may contribute to leaks in the filter housing.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=514105
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Alanyu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
The materials I consulted indicate the new filter is first installed in the oil filter cover. Below is a link to a video showing an oil change on a BMW N55 engine.

You may have a damaged or defective sealing ring on the oil filter cover. Also, double check that this ring is in the correct groove. O-ring problems may contribute to leaks in the filter housing.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=514105
Thanks MichiganMike!!!

Now I try to figure out or recall where did I put rubber O ring!!!

someone said ""Normal" means you should Only see the Plastic Cap and the Metal Housing. You should NOT see the O-ring at all."

does this correct to X3 oil filter??? as I can see that rubber O ring sitting between the housing and cap when I tighten them!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
From your description, it sounds like the O-ring was not correctly positioned. It should be positioned in a groove about 1/4 inch below the flange of the oil filter cap and not in the gap adjacent the flange. The O-ring should not be visible when the filter cap is replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Alanyu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
From your description, it sounds like the O-ring was not correctly positioned. It should be positioned in a groove about 1/4 inch below the flange of the oil filter cap and not in the gap adjacent the flange. The O-ring should not be visible when the filter cap is replaced.
Thanks MichiganMike, yes you are right and I fixed it yesterday now looks good now!
Appreciate 0